• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tell me about P90´s

polifemo

I still don´t own a guitar with P90´s but hopefully this will change.

Beeing a typical single coil type of player I´ve come to dig humbuckers ("weak" PAF-style humbuckers that is) a lot.
Now I need some P90´s ;-)

I´ve just played a Gibson Special Double Cut from -78 loaded with P90´s, and I dig the tone a lot.
How does these late 70´s P90´s compare to the early ones in terms of output?

Has Gibson changed their P90 specs a lot over the years?

This is an awesome P90-tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTA0CV6ULtU

Don´t know anything about his guitar/PU´s, but the tone is great!

ps I wonder if the new Fralin Hum-cancelling P90´s will be a good alternative ds

freddairy

I guess it is all down to the player. I have a Les Paul Studio Gem which was a mid 90s Les Paul Studio model that came stock with p90s. I prefer the tone to my humbucking equipped SGs. It's possible that the p90s in the Gem aren't of the best quality. There are people who rave about p90s and I'm sure some of them will chime in here.

I'd like to add that Mike Bloomfield's tone on East West was pretty damn good with p90s.

Dan S

I guess it is all down to the player. I have a Les Paul Studio Gem which was a mid 90s Les Paul Studio model that came stock with p90s. I prefer the tone to my humbucking equipped SGs. It's possible that the p90s in the Gem aren't of the best quality. There are people who rave about p90s and I'm sure some of them will chime in here.

I'd like to add that Mike Bloomfield's tone on East West was pretty damn good with p90s.
You are the first person I've ever heard say that they don't like their Gem. Could it be that you got one of the few with p-100's? Or some dead wood? Mine, frankly, sounds a lot better and thicker than the Goldtop in the link above.( The amp and/or settings may have something to do with it) I bought my Gem after reading the rave reviews. They come with Gibson p-90's. Most people like them.

freddairy

You are the first person I've ever heard say that they don't like their Gem. Could it be that you got one of the few with p-100's? Or some dead wood? Mine, frankly, sounds a lot better and thicker than the Goldtop in the link above.( The amp and/or settings may have something to do with it) I bought my Gem after reading the rave reviews. They come with Gibson p-90's. Most people like them.
Well in all fairness I didn't say I didn't like the the Gem right? :)
I just prefer my '61 SG. I'm pretty sure it has p90s. I should set it up properly and spend some time with it.

Dan S

True, that's not what you said, is it.. That's just how I percieved it. I was surprised that you thought they might have used lower quality pups.

gill

I have a USA made Peavey firenza with gotoh P-90's--great quality guitar I bought used for under 200. These are the only P90's I have experience with and I really like them. All 3 positions very usable and rolling back the tone control in the middle position gets that funky nasally strat tone. Cleans and Overdrive tones are very cool IMO

frisco kid

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson p90's are great. I "upgraded" to Wolfetones but honestly can't tell much difference.

Trending Topics