Tell me about Reeves amps . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by justonwo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

The thread about an amp for home use got me thinking - I've always wanted a little more lushness and low end in my home practice amp. The Custom 12 looks like a potential replacement if I use pedals to drive it (I can't get super loud at home without bothering people in neighboring houses).

Of course, taking a step up, the Custom 18 looks like a great combination of features. The power scaling might allow me to bring down the volume and add natural grind/distortion from the amp. Plus, the review I read in Vintage Guitar a few months back was generally very complimentary of this amp.

What do you guys think of these amps?

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I'm looking at these too. Use the search as there have been a lot of threads on Reeves.

3. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I've got the reeves custom 6, and it is still a very loud amp...enough to disturb the neighbors. I used to have a suhr badger, so I can aptly compare a low watt amp with power-scaling. You'd be better served with the higher wattage age with power-scaling, especially if you want low-end but also want to get a good gain tone at volumes that won't disturb neighbors. You might try the custom 30 over the 18 if you want the same voicing as the custom 12. My two cents, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Reeves.

do none of the amps in your signature have a good master volume to get what you are after?

4. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

lol yeah man, I run my Reeves in a closed room. With me in another room!

All Hiwatt type amps are insanely loud.

You know what tho? There are two amps that I am seriously thinking of trying to get in case I need an amp on the road.

Fender '57 Tweed Twin Amp (Can we say sweet? I thought so ;) ) This is the amp heard on Gilmour's Castellorizon btw. Altough his was really vintage.

Mesa Boogie Stilleto Ace. This is a hell of an amp. Nice cleans, great tube drive... and very versatile. In fact you can switch it over to a diode rectifier for a nice hiwatt-ish flavor. Or a tube rectifier (and I even think it has a biass and sag control) that can put you in a weird el34 fender area.

Reeves amps are great. Bit loud though :)

-ZP

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

They're decent, but they also live in my studio. I'm wanting to get something small for home use. All my amps and cabs are big. The CAA OD-100 is probably has the best master of the bunch but that amp is pretty darn overpowered for home. The Rivera sounds decent at low volume but it's a big amp, too.

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

Oh, and how would you describe the difference between the 30 and 18? I listened to the sound clips, but the first few of the 18 were pretty processed. I really liked the first sound clip of the 30 which had a definite Live at Leeds vibe going. But I'm pretty sure 30 Watt is way too much for my house, even with power scaling. And the clean sample of the 18 sounds really muddy and muffled. Is that a good representation of the clean tone?

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Hmmm . . . after exchanging a few emails with Reeves, to get nice cleans and a good pedal platform, he's recommending either the Custom 12 or 30. I really like the features of the Custom 30, combined with the fact that it would also be useful with my band. How many of you have actually compared the two or been at the same decision point?

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

The 18 will be closer to the Marshall 18 with a bit more clean
    rated closer to 20 watts.

The 30 is closer to the JTM 45 with more Hiwatt headroom.
    Actually rated 35 watts.

9. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

I have had the chance to A/B the two and they are both outstanding, but quite different. The 18 is more of a Hair metal rocker, while the 30 is IMO a little more versatile, but without as much gain on tap.

I can tell you that the power scaling will enable you to play at home without pissing off the neighbors.

I think if you are leaning towards the 30 then you should go for it. I highly doubt that you will be disappointed. It will be the next new amp that I buy.

10. justonwo

justonwo Member

That's my thinking as well. I've never really bonded with any of the 18 Watt clones I've played. Too much gain. To ratty for my tastes.

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

You're lucky to have it narrowed down to two choices.

I'm dying to hear the new 225 bass and would love to A/B

The Custom 50 vs CP504 vs Custom Lead.

12. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

custom 30 is the way to go for versatility. I don't kid when I say my custom 6 is loud. the 30 will give you any tone at any volume.