Tell me about Robin Rangers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MOP76, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Any Robin Ranger owners out there ? About seven years (or so) ago, I had a chance to buy a Robin Ranger supposedly owned by Dweezil Zappa (yeah, I know. big deal) at the now defunct Black Market Music in L.A. Played it unplugged and thought it was pretty cool (had that great seafoam green color) but passed on it. Now that I'm back into playing again, was just thinking about that guitar and wondering if I made a mistake passing it by. Any opinions about those guitars. what about the sound of those pickups. Tried to find a clip on youtube but there were none except the SRV & JV playing that doubleneck Robin together. Now that was cool.

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Cool guitars...there are a few used ones available every once in a while, the newer versions are far more high end that the Tokai built original ones.

You can put together a Mutt from USACG parts as Tommy & Co. are doing the 51STP bodies and pickguards....I went that route when I couldn't find a Ranger and couldn't be happier. I've built 5-6 of them but never went with the bucker in the neck - kept it either Tele or Strat pup..Have done 3 P-90's, a bucker bridge version too..Here's a couple of them :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Nice looking guitars. Have you played a U.S. Ranger and if so, what did you think. How do they compare to Teles/Strats both feel and tone wise?

4. * velcro-fly *

I played a newer one recently that was close to $1600, it was nicer than the old ones but not neccesarily better...I still liked my Mutts better ;)

5. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Wonder why you don't hear much about these guitars. at the time I checked out that "Ranger", I'd read that the people who have them love them. No one on this board seems to ever mention them. I also realize that there not exactly a household name brand. They do look cool, though (IMHO).

6. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Here's a Ranger Imperial, this one's a prototype for a new model in the Robin Ranger line. It showed up at my house about 2 months ago, and has become one of my main gigging axes. It's a wonderful instrument.

[​IMG]

7. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Damn. Nice looking axe. How would you say it sounds compared to a tele/strat. I hear a lot of comparos between G&L legacies and strats (I have one of each so I know) and ASAT Classics vs. Tele's. Suhr or Anderson vs. Fender CS. but never the Robin Ranger. Really wished I plugged it in (though with my memory, probably wouldn't remember, anyways).

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

With the humbuckers split, it does very good strat sounds. Not quite as "stratty" as true single coils, of course, but very good. I use an RC Booster to beef up split coil sounds. It's a Swiss army sword type of guitar....knife doesn't really quite work as an analogy in this case. It replaced another HSH guitar I bought last year.

Humbucker sounds are excellent, with more snap than a Les Paul. Super versatile. Fit and finish out of the box was excellent, just needed a little truss rod tweak, adjust the action a little, and it was off to the gig.

I also have a Robin Rawhide (nashville tele-style) that is just smokin. Went through several Fender teles till I played this Rawhide. Robin is making some great instruments.

9. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Thanks, Garbanzoman. That's what I was looking for. I hear the necks are thicker on the newer models. How does the bridge sound ? Is it tele-like with that twang (It's very hard to find one in a store here in the Northeast to try). I knew I should have picked up that guitar.

10. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Also. Doesn't J.J. Cale play a Robin Ranger?

11. amc

amc Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a '93 Ranger that was originally owned by Kenny Blue Ray.

12. KBR

KBR Member

I don't remember that one, is it lightweight?
    sell it back to me?

13. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Wow, that one's hot!

14. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I did a search recently and came up with a reasonably priced rosewood board '94 Ranger for sale in Alaska Craigs'. I cooled off when I read that many Rangers are on the heavy side, that and the fact that I dig Strat pickups in the neck position. Very cool looking guitars.

15. andygio

andygio Member

Had an early 80's Tokai made Ranger - cool guitar. Loved the neck, though the rear mounted pickups were a pain. Wanted something more versatile so I built this USACG 51-STP with Rio Muy Grandes and a Duncan P-90 in the neck.

[​IMG]

Turned out I got a Hondo made by Tokai Strat copy with an almost identical feeling neck for low $, so I sold off the Robin. Still have the USACG AND the Hondo.

16. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I've owned quite a few Robin guitars over the years. Ultimately I realized that they're not exactly what I'm looking for. Good, solid guitars. Kind of like G&L guitars to me. They feel more "Solid" for lack of a better word than what I want in a Fender style guitar.

Having said that, the other guitar player in my band and my bass player are both playing Robin's that I initially purchased! The Wrangler sounds great in the other guitar players hands and the Bass is just one of the best basses I've ever heard. It's lighter than most guitars, balances perfectly and sounds killer. I bought it from a store in guitar alley in L.A. on my last trip. Mint with case, $500.

Of course, I LOVE the look of the basic models.

17. MOP76

MOP76 Member

rhinocaster, just curious what you mean by "solid".

18. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I think that it's a combination of slightly overweight and very stiff necks. It ends up feeling like I'm playing a guitar made of marble.

Some guitars feel this way to me, and I've never been comfortable with it.

19. MOP76

MOP76 Member

I know what you mean now. What G&L did you have`? I have a legacy. It's not that heavy, then again, it's alder, not ash. I do notice the strings seem to have more tension then my tele and strat. I love it but it just feels stiffer, if that makes sense.

20. * velcro-fly *

This recent Wrangler is one of the prettiest rigs I've encountered...

[​IMG]