Tell me about Suhr guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kselbee, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

I'd like to hear any feedback from anyone that has a Suhr. They seem kinda pricey for what they are... are they really that good? After seeing this (http://web.mac.com/melvinny/Site/NAMM.html#47) pic from NAMM (posted by someone else here) though, I'm gassing big time. Can anyone tell me if this is a new model? I didn't see it on their web site. Thanks.....

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's a new model, a 24-fretter. Forget what they're calling it, a limited or something.

IMO Suhr offers very good value for the quality of the guitar you get. Great build quality, great fret work, tons of really great finish options, great pickups, PLEK machine, etc. The Classic and Classic T models compete with a ton of builders, but I don't know of anyone (other than Tom Anderson) who makes something as good as the Suhr Standard for the same price range. I know Grosh and Melancon make super strats, but I haven't liked them as much as their more traditional styled guitars and definitely not as much as Anderson or Suhr's.

And this new 24-fretter will probably be a popular model with people who need the extra Eb and E notes (not me).

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

Awesome... thanks for the info! Any idea when they might be available? No info on their site.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Get in touch with one of their dealers -- you can probably order one now. I was reading that they made 100 of these, so you might be able to get one pretty soon. My guess is they're shipping as soon as they get back from NAMM, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I have dealt with Tone Merchants (Noel) on a custom Suhr order I made and he was a top notch dealer, but there's a bunch of dealers to choose from.

Also, they have a forum of their own: http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/

Best of luck!

Dave

5. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

+1 on both posts by dkaplowitz! John Suhr makes a top notch guitar and has consequently spoiled me in that department. On balance a far better deal than what you get for your money from somebody like Gibson. Well worth the money and the wait. Noel has been my go-to guy for Suhrs as well. Great guy, great service.

6. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

dkaplowitz nailed it.......yes, they are all that and a bag of chips. I've had my Pro Series for almost a year now, and it's not going ANYWHERE. Easily the best guitar I've ever owned. Another big plus is that they are a great company to deal with- customer service isn't just a buzzword for them.

kselbee, let me know if you want to take it for a spin sometime- you're more than welcome to!

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Suhr is in the same category of (this is only the ones I've actually played) Anderson, Grosh, or the very high end (overpriced imho) custom shop Fenders.

I recently played one of their very vintage-ey strat guitars. It was as good as or better than ANY vintage-style Strat I have ever played. And John is a great guy from everything I've seen.

Also look at Andersons. They are my favorite, personally.

And all these guitars are worth every penny.

8. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

Went to a guitar show a couple years ago. One of the dealers had his own "t" style Suhr there on display (and for sale) I have had a lot of guitars over the years and would say that the guitar was awesome....one of the best necks I have played. Everything I had heard about how nice they are was true...great guitar....

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

They're pretty different overall. Like I said above, when you start getting into the differences between more "classic"-ly appointed strats there's a ton of competition. There's dozens of great builders for the vintage vibe strat. It's all personal preference. That Mel's no doubt a great value.

Objectively, the differences might be no SSC system, no Plek, and different pickups on any given Mel strat. Mels have a different back plate system holding the neck to the body of the guitar too, (in fact there isn't a plate). They'd both be really well built guitars from great companies though, so that's where it's all about preference.

10. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

I am and have been a huge fan of Suhr guitars. The qulity and sound are simply top notch. Great attention is paid to each detail. Pleasure to speak with John or anyone else in the shop.

Try one, you may just get hooked!
    Monte

11. kselbee

kselbee Member

Hey, thanks MattC! I may just take you up on that. Shoot me an email (keith.selbee@gmail.com) and we can chat a bit (BTW, I recently moved). Thanks....

12. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

LOVE my Suhr Standard, its the shizzle. It is built with utterly flawless quality and a killer and rather unique tone with a basswood body with flame maple top, birds eye neck.
    The new 24fretters are called The Modern. The neck shape is a cool slim D shape and enhanced body carve different from the Standard and the Classic.

I have immense desire for a Suhr T. Played my friends a few months ago and think about that guitar everyday.

Suhr and Tyler rules the roost for what I like in a guitar.

13. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've tried 2 Suhr Pro series before. It just did not do it for me. Is there a great difference between a Pro series or the standard/custom series? I had really high expectations but was bummed when it did not turn out to be what I thought it was. The sound was pretty nice but I just could not bond with the neck. Finish & action were flawless though. Any comments?

14. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i would say they are almost as good as TA guitars, but to me the TA's are the best

15. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I hate to say this but I tend to agree with you.

I've had a Suhr Pro Series for about a year, I've aways tried out 3 other Suhrs in addition to my Pro.

As much as I would love to, for some reason I just can't bond with the guitar. The neck is a little too wide and flat for my tastes. But then again I guess I can't complain, maybe it's just a matter of me "spec'ing" out my very own custom Suhr since the Pro Series is limited in that aspect.

But all round, the guitar is flawless, fit, finish, tone, action...etc etc.

It's perfect.

16. phretbored

phretbored Member

17. mibu

mibu Member

well, yes, it's only about the feeling and personal taste...
    my pro series suhr I liked the very first moment I put my hands on it. and I like the neck very, very much! it literaly makes me wanting to hold it in my hand often along the day. the radius is very well conceived to be able to get a very low string action (if you want, of course).
    in general, suhr guitars are very good sounding and resonating guitars, very well built. those are not stumbling points in wanting to have one. there's just the small personal preferencies that can make you choose one specific modell.

18. kselbee

kselbee Member

Wow, great playing and nice guitar!!! Thanks for posting!! But you're not helping the gas!

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I was initially going to buy a Suhr Pro Series. When I got to my local Suhr dealer and tried the guitar I was sure I was gonna walk out with... didn't do it. I'd taken my 1961 Strat with me as a point of reference. I plugged the Suhr into a V-Plex 1/2 stack and played. It sounded/felt "new"... Like the wood was still green. On a whim I asked to try a Suhr Classic. Bingo! Instantly I understood where the extra $$$ went for the price difference between a Classic and Pro Series. The Classic was far more round and "broken in" sounding. It had very sweet sounding pickups, and felt somehow "a few years old" - as if it were along the way towards being broken in. Plugged into the V-Plex the Classic was a beast - juicy, warm, corpulent tones and singing sustain. I ended up purchasing the Classic (technically a custom classic) and don't regret doing so. I'm also pretty much done searching for gig-worthy non-vintage Strats that "do it". I may have John build a guitar for me to my specs, but my real "searching" is over.

I'm still not convinced that there are NOT Pro Series Suhrs out there that do the same thing for me that my Classic does. Actually I'm hoping to find a Pro Series S3 in Bengalburst that does....:AOK

Peace,

jb

20. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

What i love about Suhr is the ability to GET WHAT YOU WANT.

I now have five. Going through a dealer, you can pick neck width/size and shape, radius, fretwire, woods, pickups, switching, bridges, tuning machines---the option combinations are endless.

When you get the guitar is it great---but put a few months on it and it becomes truly special. After trying one a few years ago, they have become my main gigging insturments in the course of 2.5 years.