Tell me about the 07 Les Paul Standards... I have a good deal on one...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Random Hero, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Perhaps in the pipeline. Someone has offered me an 07 Wine Red Standard for a pretty good price.

Has the chambering really took a big knock on the tone? Are they still using Burstbuckers in the 07s?
    Tell me everything you know about them. I know, I know "go try it out" and I will, but I wanna know if it's gonna be worth the journey first of all.

2. SomethingOn

SomethingOn Member

FWIW, I picked up a new '07 a couple months ago and love it to death! I think it sounds fantastic through my MAZ JR and is a dream to play. There are some really dividing arguements of the chambering vs non-chambering but I really don't worry about that stuff too much. I just like to play. I've played a ton of them over the years and in my observation, a nice solid les paul will sound a little creamer, a nice chambered les paul will sound a little more "woody" and articulate. Purely my opinion of course. They both sound like a Les Paul though and I think the overall sound difference is pretty small..... A lot depends on if you are looking for a real specific sound or if you are like me and pretty much sound like yourself no matter what you are playing. I say, if you like the guitar and it's a good price, buy it.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Hey man, thanks for the response.

Yeh, I tend to sound like me whatever, but with that in mind, I'm generally looking for that thick LP-type tone. Woody you say? How much more wood can I get than a woody LP and the Blue channel of the XTC? :D

4. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

I picked up one 11/07 and have a real hard time putting it down. I also have a 05 LP custom which weighs a ton. Both sound great however the LP custom does sound better IMHO. I play thru a Mesa F50 and love the standard thru it. The chambered has a more acoustic sound and is louder when played unplugged but still sounds great and is very comfortable to play. I love mine

5. KCWM

KCWM Member

I picked up one of those exclusive double cutaways that Guitar Center had and from everything I've found online, it shares the features of the standards, minus an extra tone knob. It has the burstbucker pro pickups and I absolute love it. In fact, it's the guitar that has pulled me away from strats after 15 years.

6. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

sweewater has DC's too.

7. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I got this '07 Standard in Iced Tea about a month ago, it's my first Gibson LP. I got it used from someone who has several, and was looking to get a Historic. I really stumbled upon a winner here. Yes, it has the Burstbucker Pro's which sound great. The entire axe weighs 8.2lbs, it's feels very comfortable.
    [​IMG]

Here's a recent thread you might enjoy:
    whats's up with the new les paul standard?

8. sarge40

sarge40 Member

Mine ('07 honeyburst standard 50s neck) is lighter than my strat, a nice player and sounds good too. You will hear alot of the LP "purists" knock them, but these same folks will tout their swiss cheese weight relieved LPs as being the real thing.

Play it, its worth the trip. If you like it, don't matter much what anyone else tells you. Let us know what happens. Of utmost importance, post pics if you wind up buying it.

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I think I may well have to go and play it, as in my - and I'm sure a lot of others' - experience, Gibsons are so finicky. Play one and it sounds like God, play another and it sounds like dog ****. Such a shame really - I just hope this one's a God one!

Has anybody else got any more info?

10. whitehall

whitehall Member

Absolutely love mine. Very light and a joy to play. In fact I rarely play my other LP's that are heavier. Probably the best QC I've seen in a long time, and mine came from MF so you know nobody did any work on it. I have always liked light LP's. Some guys like heavy LP's, then again lots of guys are married to heavy women too. To each his own.

11. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Hahaha! Great analogy.

12. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Guitar chubby chasers...LOL!

:roll