Tell me about the /13 CJ11

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Last Rebel, Feb 28, 2008.

1. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Yes, I've used the search function.

I want something fairly versatile. Able to go from country to blues to classic rock at the turn of a few knobs. I want those very spanky, clean yet dirty country/blues tones and a more crunchy yet smooth (think ZZ Top/ABB). I'm also looking for something that will take pedal well. So, is the CJ11 for me? I know I change my mind about five times a week, but I'm just trying to find what will be best for me.

2. moderndrummer

moderndrummer Member

Its an interesting little amp. Its a little boxy sounding and congested sounding compared to Freds other creations. Its a nice tweed tone but certainly can get fuzzy and that at times feels overly harsh. Its a ragged overdrive sound. The clean headroom is decent until you enter any other musicians. By yourself its fine. Unless you like humbuckers then there is
    barely any headroom. Practically none.

I am amazed by my edt 13/29 and it solved all of my complaints with the CJ. Bigger sounding. Gobs of clean headroom. Smoother Overdrive tones and more compatable with effects pedals where as the CJ didn't like many pedals.

3. krbentley

krbentley Member

I find the CJ to be quite versatile. I have an FTR37 that is great for higher volume applications and bought the CJ for small clubs. I'm not sure about your volume requirements but I don't have a problem with headroom especially if you plug into the low inputs. It takes pedals quite well. It also has a D13 feel. Does the broken up sounds well. I don't find it congested at all.
    Here is a link to a few clips.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=703340

Rob

4. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Thank you so much for the sound clips. Are they all with the CJ11? The whack at some country one is the exact country sound I'm looking for.

5. krbentley

krbentley Member

That's the Ftr37. The CJ can get you in the neighborhood at lower volumes.

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I think that you're going to need something a little bigger if you plan to cover all the sonic territory you want in a band environment. I think the CJ11 is one of the best Deluxes I've ever played, but I would probably go with the 10/20 if I had the needs you mentioned.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have it in seperate head and cab form, and it's far from 'boxy'. Despite being only 11 watts, it sounds quite huge. Headroom is fine epecially through the lower input (as mentioned), and I find the OD tones to be full and oily. Quite versatile with a great MV and I like the push/pull boost option. A lot of amp for the money and wattage.

8. krbentley

krbentley Member

By the way if you're in the Austin area you're welcome to try the FTR37 or CJ11 for yourself.

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I'm all the way up in Dallas.

As far volume goes, I'm not that concerned, I'm mainly a bedroom guy. I play with my youth band too, but that's really low volume stuff. No drummer, just acoustics.

10. krbentley

krbentley Member

Sounds like the FTR would be way to much amp. For lower volume applications the CJ is great.

11. StereoIntellect

StereoIntellect Member

i believe the new RSA 31C would be a nice fit for you, it does the spanky country thing great and it has a master volume, the overdrive is roaring and the master is very linear, my guitar player has a CJ11 and plays a tele and he has enough headroom, not country stuff though,but for home and playin out that new RSA 31C is WICKED!

12. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I think the CJ 11 would work out well for you. Lots of variety with the two inputs and the pull gain boost.

I did not think the master volume was that effective. It was only good for taking the amp down in volume a little. It's not good for getting gainy tones at low volumes. A pedal would work better for that.

I didn't find it boxy or conjested with single coils. It sounded fantastic with my tele, but I did not find it to be a good match with humbuckers.

13. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

The CJ11 is like a revved up tweed deluxe. But, like a tweed deluxe, the CJ11 might not be loud enough and probably won't have the clean headroom needed for live performances (especially if using humbuckers). I'd be inclined to get a little more amp if you're going to be gigging. The CJ11 is certainly is one of the best "tweed deluxe"-style tones I've heard.