Tell me about the Analogman King of Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by homerayvaughan, Nov 19, 2005.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

There seems to be a long wait for them, and they go for a lot more on e bay, yet I don't hear much about them. Are they worth it? What types of tones does it do best? Are there others that are better for the $?

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I had 2. Sold 'em both. Not enough drive for me. Relatively transparent but others can do that. It depends upon your setup and application. IMHO not worth the 1 year wait. There are others that can cover it's territory and do much more.

3. royd

royd Member

I've been on the list 15 months at this point... and as far as I know, Mike isn't adding any names to the current list.

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I had one for a little while. I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed by it. I thought it sounded and felt good but not particularly 'special' in any way

5. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't know what time he's backed up until, but it sure as heck isn't April '04. I got on the list in Sept. '04 and I still never received an e-mail, so I've definitely waited over a year for a product that probably isn't coming ;)

6. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Weird. Why are so many people on a waiting list for an item that for the most part is getting luke-warm reviews? Is it just to try it and sell it at an inflated price afterwards, due to scarcity?

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I think its a good pedal. It was worthy of standing on its own with the DualDrive + /13, and it was about the only OD pedal that seemed to get along with the Shiva clean channel.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

The KoT is not for everyone, it's for people who have the ultimate tone already and don't want to change it when they add some OD or boost. The reviews are lukewarm only here on this forum as I have pissed off people here due to the long wait and lack of explanation. We are backed up to May 21 2004 now and have 40 on the shelf ready to ship when we get time in my shipping department. The delay is due to not being able to keep up with other orders, and my perfectionism. When I tried to add features that people wanted, they did not work well enough for me, so R & D was jammed up while many other similar CLEAN CLEAR OD pedals have come out in the meantime. My website will explain it all once we start up new production again.

Thanks for your patience!

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Mike's definitely a class act. Thanks Man!

10. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

+1 on Mike being a class act! My impression of the KoT is that it not
    designed to appeal to the mass market but to maybe one who is
    looking for a more subtle, natural amplike overdrive. There are lots
    of unsubtle pedals out there and if that's what you are looking for
    the KoT may not be for you. I plan on getting one down the road
    after the initial hubbub is over.
    MikeD

P.S. I LOVE my MiniBiComp!!!!
    P.S.S. Thanks to Mike P for taking the time to personally answer any
    question I have ever sent him. A true gentleman and overall good guy.

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I had the Largebox Bi Comp and it was the best compressor I ever tried.

12. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

I think the lukewarm reviews have more to do with someone either (a) waiting 9 months for a pedal or (b) someone paying $350 for a KOT. It truely is a great sounding pedal and does what it does very well. No, it's not for everyone and no, it probably won't live up to the hype someone has built up in their minds over 9 months. It's great sounding, and a great value.

13. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

I thought my KOT & AC30 sounded great! I really wish I would have held on to it, I think I had one of the 1st ones
    out of the door.

Mike rocks and his products speak for themselves. I have
    used his Bi-Comp,Capt Coconut NKT275 card,Clone Chrous & TS808-True Vintage for years and don't plan on jumping ship anytime soon!

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I've also had great service from Mike over the years and agree with his take on where the KoT shines. It's not a pedal for everyone but I like mine (I also love my Tim).....

jc

15. Tinman

Tinman Member

I love my King of Tone. I've used dozens of OD pedals and this is easily my favorite. I think its best for slightly overdriven to medium overdrive sounds. I know you can get a higher gain distortion if you change the dip switches, but I haven't tried that. I think that the description of what this pedal does is very accurately stated on analog.man's web site. I do wish that it was a bit larger because sometimes my foot hits the knobs when I'm stepping on one of the switches. On the other hand, this pedal has improved my stomping accuracy.

16. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

:D

That is one of the requests we got often, so we made some JUMBO KoT pedals when asked and will probably make that the standard size in the future. I like it as it's also a little lower.

[​IMG]

17. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Mike,
    Would there be a cost difference in getting a Jumbo KoT? I too have
    experienced the unwanted knob turn or two with my MiniBiComp.
    I have thought about getting a larger BiComp and would probably
    also want a bigger Kot (if and when). Is there any particular reason
    you chose to house the KoT in the smaller box?
    Thanks,
    MikeD

18. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I love my KOT! Mike has always been a class acts in all the dealings I have had with him!

Joe:)

19. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I really love my KOT. I've got just about every OD pedal known to mankind. I'm on Mike's list for a couple of years at this point, but I found one on ebay for high 2's and it was worth every penny. YMMV. It will always be on my board................

20. John II

John II Member

+1. Thanks, Tinman.

I had number #8. Sold it after really not spending enough time with it. I regretted that. Last year I had the good fortune of acquiring one in a trade. I am so glad I have it back. It has been my go-to overdrive pedal ever since.

It's pretty much a one trick pony, but the voicing is really special.

~John II