1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about the Badcat Black Cat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Feb 18, 2009.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've never heard one in person or played one... Are they good?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

Awesome amp! I had special ordered mine as a head/2x12 cab, actually picked it up from the Bad Cat shop and got to hang out and mess around with some of their "in development" amps. I owned it for 3 years but had to sell it to pay for some medical bills, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss that amp. It wasn't the most versatile amp, but for that "Vox with balls" sound it was spot on.

[​IMG]

3. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Ordering either a black cat, or a custom 30 watt ef86 cub (essentially just the ef86 channel of the black cat in a small head shell with a bit more control).

Cannot wait.

Every time I hear a recording of one I salivate a bit haha.

Check out the last 3 Saves the Day albums to hear black cats in a few different tonal variations. From what I understand, they recorded most of the last few albums with a black cat, and Dave Soloways Matchless Lightning.

The guitarist Kurt Ballou of the band Converge has also had one as one of his staple amps for years, and thats a really really really different context to here one of them in! I will say that you can never tell what amp is what on recordings of theirs considering the bunker of vintage gear the guy uses, but live it's been a black cat and a lynx for the last few years.

I'm actually going to have his exact rig if I get that Black Cat, though I'm using it for a much different sound haha.

-DB

4. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

They're nice amps but very loud. Even at half power.

5. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

How do they sound with Weber or Celestion Alnico Blue's? I know I see most with the Bad Cat speakers, but they are an AC30 based tone..... Just curious if anyone has played one with Blue's?

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

They are great amps.... Here is a record I did with the BlackCat and my PRS HB I.

The Rhythm tones are both channels combined. The lead tone is both channels being hit with a HotCake:
    http://www.myspace.com/palereason

Acctually all the songs in that profile were done with the bad cat.

Keep in mind it is super heavy... 97lbs for the 2x12 combo. Thats the only reason I got rid of it.

7. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

Even though they use their own labels on the speakers, Bad Cat uses a V30 and G12H30 for the Black Cat - an awesome combination that I used in the Avatar 2x12 cab that I paired with my Marshall DSL50. Alnico Blues would sound, well, a lot like an AC30 with said speakers.

8. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Very cool stuff.... GREAT tones too! Thanks for that.

97 lbs, wow...... That's Mesa Boogie heavy. I can see where a head/cab would be better there.

9. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

i think it'd blow out a blue pretty quickly. I intend to use mine with a pair of Celestion golds, but I also have a badcat 4x12 with their 'augmented' v30s in it, so I should have some options.

-DB

10. B Vance

B Vance Member

I had a 2x12 combo. Really great amp. Probably some of the best low-end response I've heard from a combo amp.

I got rid of it because it was a HEAVY 92 lbs. and it killed me to move it. I would highly suggest the head/cab version if you go that route.

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I had a Black Cat 2/12 combo as well, and sold it because of its 97 lb weight....It almost killed me, but tone wise, the amp is amazing.....as much as I usually dislike V30's, with that amp, the Badcat V30's really sound good..An extremely full sound.....For more detail, and less weight, I put in a Weber blue and a silver, and that gave the amp a different tonal flavor...more voxy.....I will always miss that amp, but my back won't