Tell me about the Bandmaster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 56_Special, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

BF Bandmasters (and of course SF's as well) appear to be fairly plentiful and reasonably priced. Are they undesirable for some reason? I play through an 18 watt Marshall clone, and I'm thinking I need some kind of Fender for clean tones (not spankin' country or jazz clean, just clean with a touch of grit). Would a Bandmaster be a good choice? Obviously, I need to find some and play through them, but I aways like to hear other people's opinions as well. Also, is it the case the some of the earlier SF models are more or less BF's inside?

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

I have a '67 BFBM, and it sounds heavenly for clean sounds with a Boss RV-5. I put it in a 2x10" combo cab, smaller than a Deluxe Reverb.

3. inscho

inscho Senior Member

Here is mine that I got about a week ago. And it is unbelievable! The price tag is just icing on the cake.
    [​IMG]

4. Swarty

Swarty Member

Good choice for clean, may be more of a jazz clean than you want... not much grit. The very early SF are the same inside as BF.

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I have a 67 bf and I love it. It is very clean and can be bery well rounded. it will break up at 5 and above. Its a good sounding amp but the best way to think of the break up is to think the Who's won't get fooled again. I know townsend used hiwats but that is the kind of break up mine gets.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Great, under-appreciated (in BOTH senses of the term!) amp.

Got a completely stock '67 BFBM for four beans, including original 7025s. I run low-output humbuckers into it for wonderful breakup at 5; my lead player (70sRocker here) sounds terrific into the BFBM and a Mesa 4x10 with alnicos.

Tip: You can run an A/B/Y pedal into the BF's and make it a two-channel amp, one clean, one lead. The trem channel is slightly compressed and that trem is just classic.

Grab 'em while they're cheap, friends. ==K

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have a Silver face reverb that I use on occasion (not much lately). It is not as clean as a super or a twin and it is not a crunchy as basman or deluxe.

8. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I have a great 65'BF, but a SF Reverb is a good choice too, with the reverb and a Treb/Mid/Bass eq on the tremelo side. I think the SF Reverb sounds better than my SF Twin.
    Get one cheap, get it serviced, use some quality speakers and you'll have exactly what you're looking for IMO.

B.t.w. Mine breaks up at 5 too......

9. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I have a '67 BF Bandmaster and the cleans are really nice and sparkly. As stated by others, it breaks up around 5 or 6. I haven't really pushed it much, but what I hear I like so far.

10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Great amp. I used to have one and I sold it here on the forum. After I had it recapped it sounded amazing, mine was an older bf one, pre cbs I believe. used that amp and my 336 w/ Antiquities and had an awesome tone, it wasn't quite the same with my Les Paul however, a little mushy in the low end.

11. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

12. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I played for 3 years with a SFBM and I could cover a ton of styles cranking it (all 10s across) and pumping the front end with a Linear Boost.

I sold it to buy my first 2 channel amp .... LAB amps had just come out :)eek: ) ...

13. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I suspect that they don't sell for as much because people tend to go for the combos over heads. The SF Bandmaster Reverb is basically a SF Super Reverb in head, as I understand it. Some people feel that the Bandmaster is inferior to the Bassman head, due to differences in the beefiness of the output transformer, some talk about putting Bassman OTs into the Bandmaster, but others like 'em just as they are.

-Scott

14. muddy

muddy Member

my 1st amp was a '59 bandmaster w/cab, & cranked, the drive was amazing! no metal, mind you, just great blues, ala cream/blind faith-era clapton tones. mine had the brown face-panel with the original, cream-coloured knobs... what you see on the blonde bm's, but mine was covered in black tolex. i sold it to sam cash in the late 70's, & when i fired it up for them prior to the sale (the amp had JUST been returned to me by someone i owed money), i just died. i KNEW i was makin' a BIG mistake! personally, i MUCH preferred it to the bassmans, which always sounded too thin for my taste.

ml

15. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Thanks for the information!

M

16. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I just picked up a Bandmaster Reverb pretty recently. I was using a Dual Showman Reverb before that. I was really happy with the DSR, but found that, in order to get the output section to "give up the goods" a little bit, I had to run the amp at about 4-5. The trouble with that is it made my ears bleed. But I loved the cleans. It was a very articulate amp, too. An amp buddy suggested I try a Bandmaster Reverb, and, sure enough, it fit the bill right where I wanted. I find that the Bandmaster Reverb starts to break up nicely right around 5...but it's at a volume that doesn't make my ears bleed. Don't get me wrong, it's not what I would consider "bedroom volume"...it's definitely stage volume...but still not so loud that I hurt my ears or get yelled at to turn it down. I don't know what application you want to use it in, but for me, I wanted an amp that would be nice and clean...sparkly clean, not necessarily jazz clean. I then do the rest with a couple of good pedals. I find that with this set-up, I can get a pretty versatile array of QUALITY tones. Also, I run it through an 8-ohm THD 2x12. It's a 4-ohm amp, but running it into 8 helps me cheat a little bit with getting the sparkly break-up at an earlier volume. As for low end, I hear a lot of people talk about the BMR like it doesn't have any because of a small OT...but I think it has plenty. In fact, I usually have to keep the bass set to about 2 or so. But I'm also playing a 335, which also helps with some of that bottom end and sustain.

I don't know why BM's and BMR's are so relatively cheap compared to other old Fender's. I'm a player, not a collector. I don't really care too much about why one amp is "worth more" while others are not. I just use my ears and decide if I like it or not. IMHO, the Bandmaster and Bandmaster Reverb are some of the very few truly great amps left that won't cost you your soul to own. Get one while they're still cheap!!! :AOK

17. voodoo364

voodoo364 Supporting Member

Mine is a 65 with a Bassman output tranny. I really love it! Breaks up around 6-6.5. The cab isa Crusty Cab with a 1x15 Weber Cali[​IMG]