Tell me about the Boost side of the Tim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dB, Jan 29, 2008.

1. dB

dB Member

I would like to consolidate pedals. I am using a Bad Bob into a Timmy and it's great, but if I could two birds with the Tim, it would be even better. I had a Katana and really liked it, but the Bad Bob won out bewteen the two.

Can anyone compare the boost side of the Tim to either the Katana or Bad Bob...of other FET type boost?

Does the Tim work in three distinct modes: boost, OD, and combined? Or does it not operate like that.

2. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

I'm probably the last guy to say anything because I don't really know that much... but I have a Katana (that I keep on most of the time just because I love the tone it adds, bad bob is awesome as well). I use my Timmy (not a Tim, but still....) as my overdrive. I have tried it with my BD-2 modded as a boost and it worked well with that. But I love the cleaner OD sound the Timmy can give. I crank the volume on it but leave the gain at around 8-9 oclock... love it. Test it out and see what you like. But spend some quality time trying it out. Its fun times...

3. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

No, it is not a separate boost. It just ups the drive control.

4. sandman

sandman Member

Exactly.

But, if you don't run the 1st channel gain too high it can give you both gain and vol boost. Tone conrol on the boost channel is great. It can clean/tighten up the sound so it doesn't get overcompressed or muddy with more gain.

With both channels engaged Tim gives all crunch you'll need.

5. PaulC

PaulC Member

Actually - it doesn't up the value of the gain control. It switches out a different part of the circuit to up the gain. It also kicks in a tone control to effect the low end when it's crankin'.

Later, PaulC
    Tim & timmy pedal

6. dB

dB Member

So what is the boost function? It turns it up to 11?

Is it possible to set the OD to be relatively clean/slight grit (essentially a boost) and then use the boost function to turn that into a heavier OD?

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

that's what I do.

8. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

Thats it. You can turn the gain way down and use the switch to the right as a boost or add in the amount of gain you prefer then you can hit the boost switch for higher gain and set the gain and tone. Also theres a loop in there that activates when using the left switch.

9. sandman

sandman Member

Loop's on all the time.

10. dB

dB Member

If the loop is on all the time, then how do you bypass it when you don't want whatever effect(s) in the loop to be heard? Or is the loop mainly for an EQ that would always be on?

11. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

the loop is on when the bypass switch is on. if you want Paul to wire the loop for only the boost switch, I'll bet he can do it. I asked him about that and he said it will require a different switch (4 pdt i think), so it'll cost different and be a little off center because of the size of the switch inside the enclosure.

12. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

i just dont remember the loop being on all the time. I thought it was just when you hit the boost. Hmm. Maybe your right. Anyway i will talk to paul about this on my new Tim. I would rather have this loop activated in boost mode only

13. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

yeah, that's how it's wired unless he customizes for you. I was thinking that I'd rather have an eq on the boost only via the loop. the eq on the pedal is fine for dialing with my amp, just wanted to use a eq in the loop for a solo boost.