Tell me about the Budda Superdrive 80?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

What can it do well? Can you get a great clean AND gain? How much gain? How is the loop?

Anything you know, tell me!

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

It's a stellar amp. I've played through one a few times that my friend Mike from Switchback guitars used to own. He had one of the very early ones. Cleans reminded me of a great JTM45 type tone. Big, fat, thick. But, had plenty of sparkle if you needed it. The Drive channel is one of the best Plexi on steriods tones you will ever hear. Seriously that good. Highly recommended amp. I can't say enough good things. No info on the loop, as I've never used it.

I should also mention, I own a Budda SD 30 Series I head - just as stellar of an amp!

3. orangekick

orangekick Member

I agree with the above statements. It's a great clean and dirty amp. I regret selling my Buddas.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

5. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Anything I can tell you.........? Yes, one word.......LOUD!! It is a beast of an amp, but sounds amazing.

6. ScottySevins

ScottySevins Member

Wow that video only makes me want the SD18 even more. Im going to be buying a new amo with my tex return within the next few weeks. I think I am gonna look for an SD18. I know that the pre peavey ones people ay are better. How do you tell the pre peavey apart from the others? I know there is a SD2. Is that the peavey version the SD@'S? Sorry I dont mean to hijack the thread.

7. ev333

ev333 Member

The loudest amp I've ever met.

8. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

The budda loops work great, Dave friedman helped design the amp, very similar preamp to the friedman naked and naylor amps. IMHO one of the best drive channels ever. Enough gain unless you wanna do metal then you need a boost. A good amount of sag which makes it ooze lead tone but it's not super tight for modern metal. Does great for everything else though.

9. HoboMan

I've never tried the SD80 but I've owned an SD45 and currently own two SD18s & two SD30s.

Supposedly they all have the same preamp section with the only difference being the the power section & power tubes.
    The SD80 takes four 6L6s, the SD45 takes two KT66s, the SD30 takes four EL84s and the SD18 takes two EL84s.

Many people find the 18 & 30 on the dark side but I prefer these models.
    I found the SD45 a little too bright for me.

My main current gigging amp is my SD18 1x12 combo.
    I A/B'd it against a Marshall JCM800 that I had for about 18 years.
    The Budda 18 got just about as loud, got a very similar tone from the gain channel and the clean channel just smoked the JCM800.

I swore I would never sell my JCM800 but I sold it about two months ago.
    No need for it after getting my Buddas.
    It was a 1x12 combo and weighed about 78 lbs.
    The Buddas SD18 1x12 combo is a better amp and weighs 40 lbs.

You would never know these amps run off EL84 tubes if someone didn't tell you. The gain channel sounds more like an EL34 amp.

BTW, the loop is great on these amps.
    Very quiet.

These amps are crazy reliable too.
    Never even a hiccup and I gig about 2-4 times a month.

The guy that did the SD80 demo above also did the SD18 demo.
    He's playing a Telecaster.

10. HoboMan

Forgot to mention:
    The Series I Buddas did not have the "Pull Modern" middle switch.
    The Series II has the "Pull Modern" middle switch.
    Pulling this switch gives you the bright cutting Marshall mids.

You can tell the Pre-Peavey models by looking at the Budda logo at the top left of the chassis.
    It it has the little Budda guy then it's a Pre-Peavey.
    If it has the word "Budda" then it's a Peavey model.

11. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

The SD80 is a modern classic IMO. I had a very early one when they first came out, and had another a bit later (still pre-Peavey). I haven't owned one for a few years but I still remember them fondly. More than passable clean tones, and a fantastic fat and chewy lead channel. Lives somewhere between plexi and orange and mesa. The lead channel cleans up really well with the guitar volume, which you won't find in a lot of amps that have this much gain. The loop is very simple and just works. I'll more than likely get another one someday.

Yeah, they're loud. But nowhere near 100-watt plexi marshall loud. And the master volume works decently well.

ps - the preamps are not all the same between the models. I've read that elsewhere, but it's not true. I've had them open side by side as well as heard it from Jeff Bober himself. The SD18 at least, for sure, has a different and darker voicing than the 80. Jeff Bober emailed me a mod for the 18 way back when, to open up the top end a little bit. I also don't know how much input Friedman had - my understanding from way back when was that he helped with the channel switching circuitry.

One other nice thing about the 80 - you can feed it the cheapest chinese 5881s and it will be happy.

It's my favorite Budda, with the Twinmaster being a close (but very different) second. The SD18 and 30 would tie for third. Haven't played the 45.

It's easily as good an amp as any Naylor I've heard (or owned), but not the same. The SD80 is bigger and bolder than a Naylor and not quite as elastic feeling. It also doesn't have that signature kind of nasally Naylor thing. It's got a wider range of tones in it. Nothing against the Naylor - I love them too and if you want the Naylor tone, then nothing else will do. But the Budda has the edge in every department but that one Naylor tone, and the Naylor has an even better master volume.

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I miss my Budda.......

13. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Scotty, I think there is a good deal for an 18 in the classifieds now. It was there last night anyway.

I think I"m going to pick up a 30 here soon.

14. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I had a SD80 at one point. Sexy lead channel, prefer the SD18 for cleans though... It could peel paint off a wall at 3m when dimed through my old Mesa 4x12 with red fangs. I preferred it with other speakers anyways, but that combo gives me a headache just thinking about it.

15. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Dave friedman has been quoted saying he spent a day with Scott or Jeff from Budda on the preamp. If you Google it you can find the quote.

16. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I've never played either amp, so I have no opinion on it other than to say that the Peavey shops aren't run by cavemen. They can make a stellar product when the budget allows it. Most of the comments I have read regarding the Peavey acquisition of Budda suggest that the amps produced by Peavey are as good as, or perhaps, more consistently good, than the ones from Budda, given that Budda was having production issues, which was why they partnered with Peavey in the first place.

There's nothing the guitar community loves more than "secret sauce". Most of the time, there's no secret.

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I've played both versions and the Peavey- Budda is just as good as the Budda- Budda ones.....:stir:stir

In Absentia likes this.
  18. elvezrulz

elvezrulz Member

I've had both pre and post PV and frankly the Peavey one is better. It's built like a tank and sounds just like my old one. I think the only reason people say that is those are the people that wouldn't like a PV amp no matter what.

19. HoboMan

There are two versions of the PrePV combo cabs.

The later ones are the same as the current PV cabs are seem to be built a little sturdier than the earlier ones.

The earlier ones have a straight white piping, the later ones have the curved piping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]