Tell Me About the CAE & Guytron Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jokerjkny, Jul 8, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey all,

been hearing and seeing alot about these amps, but never really investigated what they're about.

are they supposed to be two channel marshall style amps? respective takes on the mumble tone? what?

and do they come in a wattage closer to mortal levels, i.e. 30 watts?

how would they compare to my Fuchs?

2. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I like the internet clips of the gain channel on the Guy, but I haven't played it.

I love the CAE! The gain ch in very modded Marshall style and versatile, I like it about as much as anything I've played for high gain. I still give the edge to my Rocca HG 100 in this department, it is a little less compressed and open sounding.

The clean channel is the clincher for me. It is more Fender style. It is my favorite clean sound of any amp I've played so far. And this is from a ch switcher!

Both companies only make one amp - 100 watts. I am a fan of big wattage amps (clean headroom and thick rich sound at lower volumes come from more watts in my experience), and they both have great master volumes, esp the Guytron from what I have read.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

thx blue,

ironically enough, i've been told that the cleans on the CAE are what make it sooo appealing.

anyone else?

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

BTW...
    Aren't these two amps priced around the same $$?
    If they are, it's no contest...for me!

OD100!

5. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Because you've played them both?

6. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Yes.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

thx square,

search is mos def your friend...

8. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

For a dissenting opinion, I own a Guytron and tried an OD100 and thought the Guytrons cleans had much more character. More chime and air, springier, more of a Vox- Hiwatt vibe. The OD100 was Fendery, but sterile sounding compared to both my BFDR and SR Fenders.

The OD channels are a tougher call. Since I played the OD100 I've taken Guy at Guytron's advice on tubes for the OD channel and it really made a difference, much more coherent and richer sounding.

I'd like to compare the two amp's OD channels now, but no way would I choose the OD100 cleans over the Guytron. YMMV.

Bottom line, try them both to see what appeals to your ear and compliments your instruments and playing style.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

thx tele,

good thoughts.

OD wise, how would you describe either amp?

and have you tried the new 20-30 watter Guytron?

10. telewacker

Well like I said, I wish I could compare them directly now, but going by memory I liked the OD100's dirty channel. It's hard for me to describe it, since I didn't really get into it too deeply. I was looking at the amp as a possible purchase, but after I heard the clean channel I knew wasn't interested. I think others that have posted about the amp can render a better explanation.

The Guytron has a different concept and architecture entirely. Both channels drive a pair of EL84s, a mini power amp, which is then slaved into a master EQ section and a four EL34 100 watt power amp.

The advantage to this design is the ability to get power tube distortion at any volume. Naturally any amp sounds better when it moves some air and works the speakers, but the Guytron does definitely play well at lower volumes.

I did some mods that Guy recommended, a couple of cap and resistor values changed in a few places, and with the right tubes the OD sound is Marshally with some Dumble smoothness. Very rich and satisfying. Before I got the right tubes it had a tendency to be a little fizzy and unfocused, but not now.

I haven't tried his new amp, but I'd like to.

11. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Yeah, I just reread my post and it wasn't clear. I meant to say that I like the gain ch on the OD100 but I prefer the HG100 in that department, but they are very close.

I was talking about the OD100 when I said the clean ch was the clincher for me. The best cleans I have ever played! The Rocca doesn't have a clean ch.

12. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Jae:

I have a Guytron GT 100 FV and I love it. I've never played a CAE do I have no opinion. I can compare it to a Fuchs and two other amps that we both own, a GDS 18w and a GDS 100w (although mine is still in production).

To me, the Guytron cleans are a bit more vintage and smokey sounding. Maybe that's just the way I set it, but I don't think it has the same clean chimy sound as the GDS 100W. It is still very cool sounding. On a gig late last year Guy came out and tweaked on my settings while I was on a break. He explained how I could set the clean channel with a tad more grit and in a live setting, you couldn't really tell that it had more grit. It just sounded fuller. The B channel has great full rich gain. If you check out Steely Dan Two Agianst Nature DVD with Jon Herington playing a Guytron, you can get a good idea of this. The clips on the website are pretty true to life.

In terms of a Marshall sound, the Guytron is great. The nice thing is that you get get a great sound at even very low volumes due to the way the amp is set up with the el84s in the pre-amp section. Surprisingly, I have to crank up my GDS 18 to be louder to get it to break up nicely. The Guytron does this at much lover volume levels.

In terms of the new 20 watt combo, I don't believe it's officially out yet. I've played the protype and it is sweet!! It's basically the el84 section of the GT 100 in a small combo. It has other neat features like a single coil/humbucker switch that affects the total character of the amp. Also, the cabinet is omnidirectional so it sounds basically the same regardless of whether you are standing right in front of it.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

13. telewacker

Hey that Guytron Herrington's playing is mine! Seriously, he's a previous owner and signed the chassis.

14. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I have not heard a Guytron FV, but if it is first driving some EL84's for power tube distortion, wouldn't the clean automatically be different from the OD100? It would be like a Vox with some hair, versus a very chimey and clean clean sound from a Fender.

15. telewacker

Vox meets Hiwatt meets Fender. More chime than either of my vintage Fenders, but less wood, if that makes any sense.

16. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Yep, exactly! The only thing is with the FV controls, Guy was able to let the user change the overall character of the amp. For me, I move it more toward the 6L6 type sound.

17. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I have the Guytron FV and LOVE IT!!
    Had a chance to try the OD 100 and it was awesome!
    The thing is (for me) The OD is just sooo freeken loud. It moved my innards, which is fine if your playing somewhere that can handle it. Both great amps for different reasons. Playing both would definately be recommended. Good luck!

Telewaker:
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on tubes.;)
    Might be time to retube mine soon.

Richard

18. telewacker

Andersonguy,

Guy suggested a Yugoslavian EI for V5 and a NOS Chinese for V1. Like I said it helped Channel B become more coherent and more Marshally in voicing. I settled for a reissue Silver Special for V1 over my NOS Chinese, but I'd like to try a NOS SS.

I put a NOS RFT in V2 and really like how it warmed Channel A up and allows it to break up more when pushed. Still gobs of headroom if you back off the gain.

I got a quad of NOS Siemens EL34s in there too. Next to $600 worth of Mullards it's the best I could do, but the SED Winged Cs I had before them were really good for half the money.

19. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I wish the OD-100 you had tried had the SE mod....that would have been a better test! But I'm with you on the observations on the clean channel...