Tell me about the Carvin MTS3200....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shooto, Oct 2, 2006.

1. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

sleeper?...how's the gain?

2. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

3. Micter

Micter Member

I have an MTS 3212 and it's a sleeper for sure. I would describe it as a cross between a Boogie and a Marshall. It has tons of gain! I usually run the gain on 7 and have no need to run anything in front of the amp. I haven't been using it very much lately because I have a lot of cool amps. I was rearranging my studio the other day and decided to give the MTS a run around the block. I forgot how much I like that amp.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this amp (well ALL Carvin amps except for the V3) uses clipping diodes for distortion. I'm sure a Carvin could tell us for sure on this specific model but clipping diodes is the main reason I don't like Carvin amps. I prefer all-tube!

Edit..yes this amp uses clipping diodes for overdrive. Blech.

5. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I think Darth is right...someone else told me the clipping makes it buzzy...but it IS an all-tube amp though....?

6. hasserl

hasserl Member

It is a two channel amp that actually has two discrete channels, not a switchable gain stage. Each channel has it's own EQ circuit. The clean channel is one of the best of any amp. It has a ton of headroom, and is very warm and articulate with a nice top end sparkle. The lead channel has a lot of gain, way more than I would use. It also is fitted with clipping diodes in the lead channel circuit to add distortion, something that I don't like. I've made a small business out of pulling clipping diodes from Carvin amps. Unfortunately with the MTS it's not such a simple matter of pulling the diodes out, the amp needs a lot more work than that to avoid blocking distortion once the diodes are removed. But I digress, back to the amp. It is a good amp for shredders and guys who like to go chugga chugga with drop D tuning or seven string guitars. It does the high bass scooped mid thing well. Like I said it has mondo gain, and the diodes add distortion to that. It's not quite the same sound as the MB Dual Rectifier, and if that's your target the MTS doesn't hit it, it has it's wn style, not a MB clone.

7. Darth Tater

I think that's one reason Carvin gets no respect for their amps....they say they are 'all tube' then they have clipping diodes installed :messedup

8. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

si you can take the diodes out?...hasserl, it's a bigger job then that?...not easy I take it-

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

Disliking an amp just because it has clipping diodes makes no sense. Adding a solid state pedal usually adds clipping diodes to the signal, and look how many great tones have been recorded through the years with the use of those pedals.

let your ears decide, not the schematic.

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

This always cracks me up. So when we stick our OD/Dist pedals in front of the amp does that make it sound bad?

If it's good it's good and likewise. Personally I could care less if they have diodes or triodes, as long as it sounds good ;)

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My brother has a Carvin MTS that was just serviced and sounds utterly nasty. I've played others and have came away not feeling any love. Basically it's just a preamp buzz machine and it's not all that articulate.

12. Micter

Micter Member

Ya it isn't a class A tube amp by any stretch but it is a good sounding hard rock/metal amp. My refference to it being like a cross between a Boogie and a Marshall was meant to describe the tonality not the design.
    It has a lot of bottom end, gain and does sound good for that genre of music. I have been using my modded Carvin Belair a lot more than the MTS. Well, I don't think I've used my MTS for a year and a half at a gig.

13. Darth Tater

The difference between a pedal with diodes and amp with diodes is.....

.....I can turn the pedal off. The amp will always have diodes, and I agree with hasserl..I don't like them.

If you're going to use a solid state pedal into a solid state gain channel, why not just buy a solid state amp?

14. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

good points gulliver and frankencat-

the specs of the amp are nice...the gain channel can't be THAT bad...can it?

15. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

Micter, is it good for heavy riffage?...sabbath, kyuss, fu manchu...ect?

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

Thank you! I agree totally. I used to play a JCM 900 that I never thought sounded nearly as bad as the "poo-pooers" would have you believe. Diodes and all...

17. Micter

Micter Member

Heck ya!
    BUT it also has one of the best clean channels in my amp collection. It isn't the right amp for every situation or style but it sounds good for that hard rock to metal chunky riffage.

I've heard this amp with the diodes yanked out (Hasserl is a good friend of mine) and I think the amp could be reworked and sound a lot better but it isn't all that bad the way it sits. I have 3 other Carvin amps and two of them (Valvemaster and Belair) have been modded.

18. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

does it get loud?

19. Micter

Micter Member

Loud? Huh? I can't hear you! It's loud especially the clean channel. It'll ring your ears.

20. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

how does it take pedals?...how is the EL34 mode?