1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about the Charvel Charvette

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by David Garner, Mar 3, 2013.

1. David Garner

David Garner Member

My cousin bought one of these for her son, or at least I think it's a Charvette based on the 2 single coils having that Charvel logo on them. I set it up a few months back with extra light strings. I intend to get him a bar for the trem.

As best I could tell, it's a really nice guitar. I don't think they paid very much for it. It looks like it's either been spraypainted blue or melted with a heat gun (kidding on the latter, sort of). The headstock is obscured, hence my suspicion that it was painted. But it's structurally sound and stays in tune well. Here's a bad cellphone pic.

[​IMG]

Charvelle experts, what can you tell me about these, which ones were good/bad, etc.?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

If I recall, it's a lower budget not made in Japan version of the mij charvels from the toothpaste era. Played nice but hardware was suspect.

3. Robbgnarly

Robbgnarly Member

Charvettes were comparable to Squier in quality. The mostly had plywood bodys. What does the headstock say? It should say Charvette on it

4. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

Really need to see the headstock, that doesn't really remind me of a Charvette, looks like an MIJ Charvel. More pics?

5. David Garner

David Garner Member

Don't have any more unfortunately. Next time I see it I'll take some. If it's an MIJ, that would make me very happy. His mom didn't spend much on the guitar, so IMHO, an MIJ Charvel would be a great guitar for the money.

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

My recollection is it was painted over. It's been a while since I took the photo, but I was talking to his parents about it last night and it got me to thinking. I assumed it was a Charvette because of the logo on the 2 single coils.

7. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
  8. David Garner

David Garner Member

Apologies. Edited.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  9. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I agree, this looks like a Charvel to me. They did have a model line called Charvette, but the headstock was different than the Charvel line. This guitar looks like an older Charvel to me and if so, should be a great player. While the photo is not so good, this doesn't look like a cheap guitar. Looks a lot like my older Charvels.

10. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the logo off the box of a Jackson Randy Rhoads i bought back in 1999.

[​IMG]

Same logo on my 87' MIJ Charvel which are awesome guitars. :bow:bow

11. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

Looks like a mid 80's Charvel to me.

If the neck plates says "Fort Worth Texas" on it, that guitar is a keeper!

12. David Garner

David Garner Member

I need to get her to bring him (and it) over again so I can look at it.

When that pic was taken, I was just trying to get it strung and in playing condition. It had 3 strings on it when I first saw it. I also need to order him a bar for the trem.

Thanks for all the replies. When I get some more info. on it, I'll re-post.

13. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

http://www.charvelusa.com/charvel_model_series.html

MIJ Charvels from the 80's ^^^^^

My red Charvel is a model #2 that had a Floyd added and i put in the EMG-81.

14. David Garner

David Garner Member

I was about to ask whether the Floyd was an option on the MIJs. This one has a Floyd and a "normal" humbucker instead of the EMG-looking bridge pickup on the Charvette. It looks a lot like the Model 4, but has 2 knobs (volume and tone) and a blade instead of the 3 knobs and switches.

15. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

I had a MIJ Charvel 3DR Dinky Reverse that i absolutely loved, got it in 89', I had a passive H/S EMG style pups and a double locking Schaller stock. Awesome guitars !!!

16. davey102

davey102 Member

I've had my Charvette for as long as I can remember, it just sits behind a chair in my living room. It has tons of dings and scrapes but never goes out of tune and I never worry about anyone touching it or playing it. The electronics are pretty lousy though but most of the time I just play it unplugged when I'm watching tv. I'll probably end up keeping it forever.

17. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Wern't Charvette guitars made in Korea ?