Tell me about the Deluxe Memory Boy

PeteyNaf

The DMB is calling out to me for some reason. The center depth knob seems like it can provide endless combinations of cool spacey effects. Tell me good/bad/ugly of this pedal, please and thankyou.

goodhonk

No experience with it, but it has the features i like in a delay. Also darker repeats than the dmm, which is a good thing, imo.

Buy one. Report back.

bass_econo

No experience either but I've heard some say they can be temperamental with temperature. The modulation being able to go all the way to a square wave is interesting though.

northstar6000

I had a DMB for a while. I had high expectations considering the many features, plus expression pedal control.

Sadly i had to let it go. The repeats had this distorted quality that l just couldnt dial out. It was like delay had no headroom.

And for reference i have a big box DMM & carbon copy so i know what an analog delay is supposed to sound like.

I had no problem with it being dark, just didnt care for its tone. And tbe modulation is totally over the top. There are ver few modulated tones of any real use. All of the mods were too extreme sounding.

wrightdude

I find the triangle side of the modulation quite usable and rather nice at subtle settings, but does get wacky quick... the square wave side is nuts...

The repeats are very thick and very dark... never have issues with "distortion" per se (or headroom) in my setup, but some white is noise noticeable at times when all else is quiet.

Can get some really nice edge of feedback type sounds... notes smear and boop out in a nice way. There is also a hidden function to cut bass that is a useful tweak that helps extend the repeats before feedback.

Tap tempo is useful to me, but never found a compelling use for the loop other than to make weird noise... the repeats are so dark and lo-fi to being with... theres not allot of spectrum to work with for signal processing.... ha!

I still have it and use it from time to time...

CRWolf

Gold Supporting Member
I really liked the DMB I had. The sound of the repeats is the thing I miss most about it (I agree with wrightdude's assessment of the repeats). Like pretty much any EHX product, it can get wacky, but being judicious with the modulation depth control can yield some great sounds. My preferred depth was about 11:00. There are some cool sounds to be had, especially if you're into dark, washy stuff.

I got rid of the DMB because I didn't like the way it made my dry signal sound, which was kind of thin and dull. I got a Carbon Copy to replace it since I'd heard such great things, but it just wasn't the same. Looking back, I think I just got caught up in the "every part of my sound has to be exactly right at all times" mentality, when it really didn't matter what my dry signal sounded like with the sounds I was using the DMB for.

Hope I didn't merely make it more confusing for you. Good luck!

vorvick

Gold Supporting Member
I currently use one. Love the sound and have an EHX Freeze in the effects loop per the Bill Ruppert vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFth1mg5Rc

EHX stuff always tends to be a bit over-the-top and whacky... but I like that. There is some noise on the repeats, but I live with it - same way as I do with my single coil pickups.

Last edited:

PeteyNaf

I find the triangle side of the modulation quite usable and rather nice at subtle settings, but does get wacky quick... the square wave side is nuts...

The repeats are very thick and very dark... never have issues with "distortion" per se (or headroom) in my setup, but some white is noise noticeable at times when all else is quiet.

Can get some really nice edge of feedback type sounds... notes smear and boop out in a nice way. There is also a hidden function to cut bass that is a useful tweak that helps extend the repeats before feedback.

Tap tempo is useful to me, but never found a compelling use for the loop other than to make weird noise... the repeats are so dark and lo-fi to being with... theres not allot of spectrum to work with for signal processing.... ha!

I still have it and use it from time to time...
The square wave side sounds really fun! I think I'll pick one up for ***** n giggles. I'm actually hoping to make some whacky sounds with it rather than standard delay sounds. I have a Gen5 echo to cover that ground. I want to use it with a more experimental approach. Can't wait. Thanks for the replies.

tremolo3

I love it for ambient/washy stuff. Doesn't cut well with longer repeats and I don't care for slapback, a $200 pedal for slapback is ridiculous anyway.

I mostly use my Echorec. But when I want to get weird, I break out the DMB. Yes, it can be a perfectly normal delay with beautiful modulation. Or you can set the mod to square wave in chase mode with a ring mod in the loop. It's all up to you. And you can set the tone of the repeats to your liking. I do find it a bit dry sounding compared to the Echorec, but they're not really comparable either, which is why I have both.

jwny72

I had one, and loved its feature set. The deal breaker for me was that it's preamp colored the dry signal, and affected the volume of the dry signal. There was a noticeable volume jump in the dry signal when the effect was engaged. Perhaps if it weren't true bypass (so that the coloring and gain were always present, whether the effect was on or off) I would have liked it better. As things were, I got very different base tones between engaged and disengaged effect tones. It was pretty disappointing because I really wanted to love the DMB.

la noise

I had a DMB for a while. I had high expectations considering the many features, plus expression pedal control.

Sadly i had to let it go. The repeats had this distorted quality that l just couldnt dial out. It was like delay had no headroom.

And for reference i have a big box DMM & carbon copy so i know what an analog delay is supposed to sound like.

I had no problem with it being dark, just didnt care for its tone. And tbe modulation is totally over the top. There are ver few modulated tones of any real use. All of the mods were too extreme sounding.

This pretty much echoes my experience, as well. Had one a couple of times,
and wanted to like it because of the feature set. I just didn't though.

I found the tone of the repeats neither warm in an analog sense, nor
percussive and bright in a digital sense. Just could not jive with it. :dunno

bluflames

Bought one, sold one, kept my malekko. Yes repeats are dark but they also sound dull, IMO needs a different/better preamp or something.

Tap tempo feature is awesome for an analog delay (same thing with note subdivisions) but for my money a carbon copy has a better sound and is more useful because you don't spend years just fiddling with it. DMB is a great toy to have for a studio though. Versatility is great but simple can be a lot more effective in skilled hands than complex in equally skilled hands... At some point the effect can get in the way I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteyNaf

Hmmmm I might have to go to Chicago Music Exchange to try it out first then. They carry every pedal known to man. :beer

Trending Topics