Tell me about the Dimarzio Norton

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by csacwp, Mar 26, 2015.

1. csacwp

csacwp Member

I'm looking at putting a Norton in the bridge of an alder bodied super Strat with a maple neck. I've heard it's like a better eq'd Tone Zone with even better harmonics. How would it sound with a maple fingerboard vs a rosewood one?

2. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I am getting ready to install one in my Yamaha RGX-TT. I will let you know how it sounds.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I wouldn't worry too much about a rosewood fretboard vs maple fretboard.

It is similar to the Tone Zone but with a bit less output. Plenty of harmonics though I don't know that I'd say they are better than the Tone Zone. It's an awesome pickup and after trying a few others, it's what I have left in my single HB strat.

I went with an Evo in the bridge of my dual HB strat. It's definitely a hotter and thicker sounding pickup but I specifically wanted something hotter than I'd usually go for so it would, hopefully, split better.

[​IMG]

4. straycat113

straycat113 Member

It is basically the same pup that is in the old EBMM EVH sig which are customs and only made for EBMM. Whenever someone states they want as close a tone as possible Dimarzio and VH builders recommend the Air Norton and Tone Zone. I own a couple of EBMM EVH sigs and those pups are great.

5. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

Love the norton in my explorer all mahogony neck through. Harmonics are rich and it is my favorite sounding guitar now.

6. TonyBony

TonyBony Supporting Member

When I used to primarily play PRS, I would always put a Dimarzio Norton in the bridge slot. Great mid range and cleans up well.

7. robmarch

robmarch Member

so how do they split?

8. robmarch

robmarch Member

OP: are we talking about the Norton, or the Air Norton?

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, everything is relative. :p

At a gig, it would add a lot of versatility without having to change guitars. There's obviously going to be a volume drop, but there are ways around that. Sitting in a room comparing that guitar to an S/S/S strat with Fralin Vintage Hots or Duncan Antiquities, the split Dimarzios aren't going to be nearly as satisfying.

My experience is that hotter humbuckers tend to split better, but you will always have the volume drop.

10. zul

zul Supporting Member

On a strat style bridge:
    Punchy and articulate; excellent rhythm guitar tones.
    Harmonically rich and loves all shades of gain.

11. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I found it very bright, ragingly bright, with 500k pots in a Gibson. Putting an A3 mag in was better, but still not great. It is not a tone zone in any way.

The only place I've found I like that pickup is in the bridge of a strat with a volume pot load of 350k or less. That fattens it up enough and it works well with the other pickups. I split it in combination with the middle pickup for position 2 and it does great with that.

If you're using it in a strat, avoid 500k pots unless you like a REALLY bright bridge sound.

12. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I got the Norton installed in my RGX-TT yesterday. It sounds great! I find the Tone Zone overly boosted in the mids and bass. The Norton is more balanced and versatile. I didn't find it bright at all with 500k pots.

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Love the Norton in the bridge of my Les Paul.
    It's delivers great harmonics, definition and more push/hotter than a PAF. Leads sing!

Norton replaced the stock Gibson 57 Custom pickup. I tried a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and I immediately went back to the Norton.

Super Distortion colored the sound with more midrange emphasis than I like. Great pup but not my cup of tea. I could definitely hear the wonderful sustained compression in overdriven chords (like VH's Running with the Devil...urban legend Pandora box door has been opened)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Coach T. likes this.
  14. Coach T.

Coach T. Member

Dude, that's a good looking rig...

sedawkgrep and Jim S like this.
  15. c_mac

c_mac Member

I've heard rumors that you can get it in double cream :D

27sauce and Jim S like this.
  16. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Dimarzio is the devil. You will be banished from tgp, and shamed for the rest of your days if you buy Dimarzio.

17. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I thought the Norton was pretty awful. Odd, almost dissonant overtones. Just didn't work for my rig