1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about the Dr Z 18 w combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skydawg, May 19, 2011.

1. skydawg

skydawg Member

I'm currently playing out of a deluxe reverb which I like quite a bit but I'm thinking about another combo amp just for variety sake. How amazing are these amps anyways? Is it worth the scratch? Looking for a good solid amp that sounds great both clean and over driven. I'd like to hear some opinions on this baby as I've got a chance to buy one at a good price but normally don't shell out so much for an amp. Thanks

2. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Do you use pedals or just the amps overdrive?

3. skydawg

skydawg Member

I use pedals with my deluxe reverb.

4. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

Which 18 watt Dr Z were you looking at? The Carmen Ghia, Maz Jr, and Prescription Jr are all 18 watts but voiced differently. All are amazing by the way. I'm going to assume you are talking about the Maz Jr and just say it is a fantastic pedal platform. Kind of a versatile cross between a Vox and a Fender. You can get natural overdrive but it will be very loud. If you want both clean and overdrive from the amp, the Ghia may be the better for that, but the Ghia doesn't have a master volume so your windows will rattle when you get overdriven goodness

5. small axe

small axe Member

ill take a shot and tell you about my maz jr 18 watter. its red and a 2x10 and 2001 model. besides that it runs on el84s. i would say that it is a fairly clean amp that can have a nice overdriven tone, not quite like a marshall or a fender, but its own unique sound. it is a pedal platform monster and can take all that you can give it. it weighs like 50lbs. the way it takes pedals amazes me and the sound is awesome. i dont know what else to say to describe it. they can be had at a fair price. how much for the one you are looking at and what are u looking at because there are a few models that are 18 watters.

6. skydawg

skydawg Member

It's the maz jr and the seller is looking for about $1250, fair price?

7. small axe

small axe Member

1x12, 2x12, 2x10? i would ask for a little less.....also what year is it? 1250 is ok but i have seen em closer to 1100 or even 1000. there was one on the board for that price range

8. skydawg

skydawg Member

oh I just looked up the weight of the amp, the dr z site has it at 65 lbs. A little heavier than I want to lug around anymore. I gave up the fender twin for the deluxe because I was tired of hauling the heavy ass twin around. That may be a deal breaker for me. I figured an 18w amp would be a little on the lighter side.

9. small axe

small axe Member

thats the weight of the 2x12...i have a 2x10 and its less.....but you should really check it out....it gets my vote and i have owned marshalls, fenders, bogners etc and its a great bang for the buck

10. skydawg

skydawg Member

oh maybe I was looking at the wrong spec, I think he has the 2X10 and I was looking at the 2x12.

11. small axe

small axe Member

the 2x10 is 47lbs.....check it out brother man

12. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

I have a Maz 40 Sr in 2-10. They do some dfferent things sonicaly than most other amps. All good though. This was made to be loud, clean and mean. That, it does well.
    Depending on speaker option, $1250 may be on the high side.

Overall the best part is the Z-Verb, very useable and I generaly don't like reverb.
    Yeah, they are heavy but not Matchless or Bad Cat heavy.

13. koss59

koss59 Member

I was gigging with a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and thought it was great, then I took the plunge and bought a Maz 18 combo. Best thing I ever did! It is leagues ahead of the Fender tonally and much more versatile, the only thing I miss about the Fender is the nice light weight.
    Here's a video of me on Tuesday night playing a jazzier blues number so you can hear what it sounds like on the edge of break up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrgVi2YFa7Q

14. skydawg

skydawg Member

Sounds real good bro, do you think $1250 is a little high for that amp?

15. sideman

sideman Member

I used a 2x10 Maz Jr combo for a couple years. That money is roughly right - it's about what I spent. That amp sounds very different that a DR -- alot thicker. The tone is more English than Fender -- strong mids. If you're deep into the DR it will sound odd to you at first. But you'll probably like it if you spend some time with it.

16. koss59

koss59 Member

Cheers man, I'm not sure to be honest, I'm in the UK and paid £1500 for mine new so $1250 sounds cheap to me! I can tell you it's worth it though.

17. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

As for price, it might be a bit high, but if it's a 2 x 12 then it might be prioced accordingly. I paid a bit more for mine, but it also had some upgrades.
    I'd suggest a single 12", sounds great and plenty loud. You may want to consider a Brake Lite attenuator.

And yes, they're everything people say - awesome amps that have a huge tonal range. Built very well. I'm offloading all my other amps (save a Champion 600 I use for low-volume practicing).