Tell me about the Durham Crazy Horse

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KazJY, Jan 3, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

I've been in a bit of a Neil Young phase, and saw a few posts about this pedal. The idea of it sounds tasty... :drool

I understand that it needs tweaking (and more tweaking) from what I've read. What do you like about it? What do you wish was different?

I've got my eyes on 2 other dirt-boxes (plus overdrives - I want everything lately, actually), so I'd be curious to know more about this before I order it sight-unseen - and unheard, or if I just cross it off the list.

Thanks much!

2. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I've been saving up to buy one of these for most of the last year. I'd like to hear more discussion of this pedal, too. The clips on the Durham site sound great and there are some decent videos on You-Tube featuring the pedal.

3. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

Ha - I just bought one not 30 seconds ago. I'm a sucker for fuzz and I talked myself into it (of course seeing Neil a couple of weeks ago helped.) :jo

I'm just hoping it's as untamed as it seems - I like noise :crazy

4. KazJY

KazJY Member

5. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I've had one for about 4 months or so. I use it for the "starved voltage tones", usually around 10-11 on the knob. I personally find that with the drive or fuzz up (individually or combined), it has a fuzzier character in treble: not "open" or transparent, but with lots of upper frequency content.

IMO, I think it is best for those severely broken up tones, nothing smooth or traditionally amp like (I've had a couple amps sound like this when they were dying or run in a dangerous improper method).

The pedal eats up any sort of quick bass response, and instead puts out a woofy roar (horrible descriptors, but I can't think of anything better right now).

Most interestingly, lots of compression particularly when you lay into it. Actually, I find that a softer pick attack helps clean it up and may actually be a little louder than a hard attack, which sags quite a bit. Again this is with my volts settings. Honestly I like that sound so much that I rarely move it anywhere else.

Lastly, the volts knob is very sensitive, and as Alan Durham mentioned in the other post, takes a couple seconds to respond after you move it. For my needs, this is the knob that really defines the pedal.

A very unique sounding pedal, and one of my favorite fuzzes for non-mainstream tones.

joe

6. brianf

brianf Member

There are not that many out there. I got mine just a couple of months ago and the serial number is 245.

With the guitar volume on full and the drive and fuzz knobs down all the way, this box still has a ton of fuzz to it.

It does respond fantastic to the guitar volume knob though.

And yes, it does nail Neil's tone in Hey Hey My My.

brianf

7. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I had one and traded it away. It does amazing Neil Young style exploding amp tones, but I found it hell to integrate into my pedal board. The jacks are in the weirdest most inconvenient place, it is incredibly sensitive in where it sits in your chain, a slight nudge of any of the knobs can outright F-up your tone when playing live, and almost any stacking leads to horrible unmusical feedback.

Having said that, it is an amazing pedal, very flexible, that nails exactly what it intends to do. I wish I could have kept it for it's tone (or even just for recording), but I needed something that could live on my board and play nicely with my other pedals.

8. Big Tim

Big Tim Member

The location of the jacks is very difficult, yes. Mine has done fine being first in the chain, but then getting a cable in there from the right is almost impossible. I put it later in the chain, after a true bypass DMM, but then the wiring is still a challenge. I am still drawing up pedalboards so that I can have it in an easy to access place. The sound is worth it. It has a lot of volume on tap if you'd like it to as well, so falling out of the mix is never a concern.

9. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

I got mine a couple of days ago. It's everything it's said to be and more. Crazy amount of gain - even makes my JC 120 sound like a tube amp about to explode.

I found the Neil sound instantly but that's not all it does. Still playing with it but I don't think it's going anywhere. Haven't tried putting it on my board yet so I haven't had to deal with the jack placement. I have an idea where I want it to go and where it will fit but I have to see if it plays nice.

Mine is #27, place I got it from must have had it sitting around for a while. One thing that surprised me is the amount of goop - it's got to be 2 inches thick and covers the entire board. Maybe you need that much mojo to cop Neil's tone ;)

I really hope it never needs fixin

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

I am glad to see this thread still going - I haven't checked in a few days - Thanks so much. There's always going to be pedals that I want, but this one does look like fun, even if it isn't in my chain all night.

If anyone else can pipe in, please do. I'll post back here if I get one.

11. cameron

cameron Member

I would have bought one when they first appeared if it wasn't for the position of the jacks. The thing needs some ergonomic redesign.

12. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Aside from some peripheral issues (jack placement, noise) the pedal is a great sounding pedal

13. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

re: jack placement, I actually find it easier to place it sideways with jack on the "top" like many other pedals. I get more clearance for my foot without hitting the knobs. but of course, most of my pedals are setup sideways for some reason (hitting multiple pedals at the same time and space reasons I guess)

joe

14. brianf

brianf Member

Mine has very little noise. Are you talking about hiss at any gain or volt level?

brianf