tell me about the Hamer Artist!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shihku, Jun 25, 2006.

1. shihku

shihku Member

I'm searching for a hollowbody guitar, I definatily will buy 2nd hand. I currently own a fender strat and play through a fender vibro verb ri, I was thinking a hollowbody, cuz I wanted to play some jazz stuff. My main thing is still blues though. I was looking at 335 copies and 175s until I set my eyes on the hamer artist, they look really good. My budget is under 1000 USD, so I'm thinking about the Hamer Artist with the P90.

Can someone with experience in these guitars tell me the different tones I can get out of them? I'm looking for nice jazz tones, dosen't have to be traditional, but I want it to be clean and big sounding. I'm sure i can get really good blues fusion tones out of it, I don't play really high gain stuff. Also I've never played a guitar with p90 pickups, I really love single coils but sometimes it gets too thin, and I heard the p90s are between hb and single coils pus.

Also are there any flametop finishes that comes with the p90 configuration? How much would I be looking at to buy one 2nd hand?

Thanks
    Alan

2. Raymund

Raymund Member

I have a mid 90ies Hamer Artist Custom Quilt with mid size neck and Seth Lover HB´s. Tone is very versatile, transparent and 3-dimensional,
    between a 335 and a Les Paul. It doesn´t have the growl of a Les Paul but can be used for Jazz to Blues and - amazingly - when overdriven it has even a very modern sound. Build quality is top notch and the quilt is exterrestial.

[​IMG]

3. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Got mine about one month ago.
    I use it for funk, blues and jazz. It works really well in those three settings. You can really get some nice jazz tones out of this baby, and then stomp on a Zendrive for some cool Robben Ford tones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The Artist is only hollow on the top 1/3, so it is a semi-hollow body. The Hamer Newport is approximately 70% hollow. Remember hollowness creates feedback problems at volume, so more hollow = more potential feedback problems.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If I was you I would be looking at the Newport/Newport Pro. I have owned an artist and while they sound great they do not give you as much hollowbody sound as you may want. The Newport is completely hollow and will give you more of that jazz tone.

Another guitar but maybe a $200 more depending on the deal is a spruce top Monoco. These guitars are also hollow but in a single cut shape with a slightly longer scale length then the Newport. Longer scale length generally gives you snappier bass response.

I just bought a Newport with the Bigsby...should be getting it this week. I have also owned the Korina artist with p90's and a Salmon Pink Artist similar to the ones in the pictures posted before me. So far the Monoco is easily my favorite.

6. shihku

shihku Member

Those artists look stunning !!!
    Does anyone know where I can find some sound clips of these guitars?
    Harry how would you compare the Newport to say maybe a ES175?

Thanks
    Alan

7. Guinness Lad

A Newport and a ES175 are two completely different things. The ES175 is a true jazz guitar and probably the industry standard for the sound you hear on the older jazz records. A ES175 will feedback very easily and most players will not use these guitars when playing loudly...but some do get away with it. Used ES175's will cost you at least $1500 if not more, they are not cheap.

The Newport is more like a Gretsch guitar because the regular Newport uses single coil pickups. The Newport Pro uses humbuckers and this guitar will sound more like a ES335. From what I have read, the 335 has more lower midrange then the Newport but the build quality and consistancy are much better with the Hamer instruments.

8. shihku

shihku Member

Is it possible to get simular tones on the Artist, as say George Benson or Pat Metheny?

9. shihku

shihku Member

okay guess not, I want something more verstile though. Maybe I should get a ES175 copy and the Hamer Artist. :)

10. Guinness Lad

Probably not, those guys use thicker guitars. Metheny used to play an old ES175 forever until Ibanez made one for him. George Benson uses a guitar which is similar but has a little smaller body. This being said a lot can be accomplished by voicing your amp correctly and using your tone controls to accomplish their tones.

11. shihku

shihku Member

Thats what I thought, but I can't get those tones from my strat, thats why I'm looking for something different. its probably the pickups though.

12. Rich

Rich Member

You cannot buy any of the guitars talked of here - 175, 335, Newport, Newport Pro, Artist Custom - for under $1000 used. And they are all over the lot construction and tone wise.

You might be able to pick-up one of the other lesser Hamer semi-hollows with either hums or p90s for about that much used. Less frills. Or one of the Gibby 135s.

Or you could scope out stuff from Epi or Ibanez for example. Make some very reasonably priced & sounding jazzers. First I think you for have to check out/decide more about body types and sizes and pickups though.

And no offense to you - I know where you're coming from - but people play great jazz on Strats and Teles and and and..... As folks have suggested, you play around with the vol and tone pots on the guitar and the amp and you can get something going. Also, up you string gauge to get rid of the "plink"-- that'll help too.

13. shihku

shihku Member

hehe true... maybe I just want to get a new guitar ! :)

14. floobeedust

floobeedust Member

Hi Shihku.....way off topic but i had to ask.....whats the guitar shop scene in Shanghai ?..my wife is there next week so I might put the weights on her to bring back a Martin copy,,just forget the brand name at the moment. PM me if you have any pointers.

15. straightblues

straightblues Member

I currently own an Artist and two Newports. I have also owned a 335 in the past. The Artist is much closer to a Les Paul than a 335. Yes it can do some of the jazz tones but it really excels at more of the Les Paul sort of tones.

The Newports however do the sounds you are talking about very easily. Seymour Ducan created the Phat Cat pickups for the Newport. The Phat Cats are pretty close to P-90's. This would be a great guitar for you.

Hamer USA guitars are fantastic deals on the used market. You can get both the Artist and the Newport for under a $1,000 if you are patient.

If you want more information about Hamer guitars, visit the Hamer Fan Club. In fact, I think there is a Newport listed for $1,000 on the buy sell page there right now.