tell me about the hotcake

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doomy3, Nov 11, 2005.

1. doomy3

doomy3 Member

I am thinking about trading for one of them, but I don't know a lot about them...What do you think about them? What other ODs do they sound com parable to? Tim, Timmy, Fulldrive2? THanks for the help.

2. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

in my opinion the hot cake is great for a mild break up. the higher gain settings sound too harsh for me, but the lower gain settings are great. i really like it for playing slightly overdriven chords. it also cleans up well with your guitar volume control.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I only had one for about a week, but I can tell you from experience it's nothing like a Timmy...

The Hot Cake was one of the more unique dirt pedals I've tried. Nice top-end sparkle, a LOT of bottom, cleaned up really well, and pretty smooth compressed OD - unless you crank the Drive. If the Drive gets anywhere past 12:00, it can get very wooly and ill-defined on the low notes and chords - that's the reason I let mine go. I now understand why guys prefer the Hot Cake with Vox-type amps, it has a sweet top end and big bottom to fill out the Vox's full mids - with my Blackface style amps, it was just too much. I don't think I can give you another pedal to compare it to - it was pretty different from anything else I've owned.

4. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I don't really like mine with Fender style amps. But, it is superb in front of my Komet. It is the oldest pedal on my board!

5. doomy3

doomy3 Member

well, I have a Fender twin reissue and an Ampeg 65 rocket 2, so maybe I should just pass...

6. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I haven't used it in front of a Twin but it sounds ok through my blues jr. But it really shines in front of my Komet.

7. erksin

erksin Member

You really won't like it in front of the Ampeg, IMO - 7591As, right?

The Hot Cake was unique in that it had the ability to sound really aggressive, but had a soft compressed attack when you hit it hard picking - it's the only pedal I've ever tried that sounded smaller the harder you played it. I was using it at home, so perhaps it doesn't work that way at stage volume. It definitely had a 'spongy' feel though...

8. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

The Bluesberry version of the Hot Cake is the way to go in my opinion. I got one from music toyz and played it through my el 34 master volume head from bumbox amps. Really smooth gain, and it is a lot less fizzy on the higher setting than the original. The switch on mine was messed up so I sent it back, and am counting the days till I get my new one!

9. Timmo

Timmo Member

I love my HotCake in front of Marshall type amps but with Fender type not so much.

10. e-flat

e-flat Member

I jut picked up my second Hotcake (had on eyears ago) from a fellow board member. I agree with erksin's assesmment of the general tone... Has a spongy quality with a really nice mid-drive tone. Thats basically what i was looking for from this pedal, and I use mine with an AC30 CC so it does the trick nicely. However, I do not like the hair that becomes prominent as you get past about 1:00 on the drive dial ... At 1:00 I think that the hair is really nice, and sounds natural. I contacted Paul Crowther and I'm going to have it modded to Soft Edge / Bluesberry specs. I think that should do the trick. Otherwise, it really is an excellent match for the AC30.