tell me about the ibanez tube king pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rouss, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rouss

rouss Member

I was wandering about the IBANEZ TUBE KING DISTORTION PEDAL and TUBE KING OVERDRIVE PEDAL . They actually have a TUBE in them . Are they superior to the tubescreamer or other ss pedals?

2. john l

john l Member

Be weary of anything that has a tube in it and runs off an AC adapter or 9volt battery

3. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Why? This makes no sense...

4. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

The early tan-colored Ibanez Tube King TK99's were designed by BK Butler, the person who builds the Tube Driver.

There are two different TK99's, one made in Japan and one made in the USA. The Japan model featured a noise suppressor while the USA Model didn't. Both had/have the same guts however from my understanding.

It's a great pedal and can run on 12AX7, 12AT7, or 12AY7 type tubes or the like. It also features a 3-band EQ to dial in some great tones.

I wouldn't compare it to a Tubescreamer though because the two are very much different.

I've never played the newer, modern red version. The one that's shaped like a triangle/square. From my understanding they aren't built very well and are kind of junk. The earlier models are much better in terms of build quality and possibly even sound.

5. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

i have one of the older tan ones with the noise gate. i use it as my main lead distortion. plenty of gain available. takes boosting its front-end well, and the eq has an insanely wide range. It has a very open-uncompressed sound to it, as opposed to something like a tube-screamer which tends to sound small to my ears. I hate this term, but i would describe it as amp-like, in that it doesn't sound small or filtered like a pedal, and sounds easily as big as whatever amp you're playing through, and given enough volume it produces nice feedback.

6. john l

john l Member

My mistake I had this pedal confused with another one. I honestly havent tried it. So cant comment on how it sounds....BUT
    IMO most mass produced pedals that have an AX7 in them are gimicks nothing more, the tube is pretty much reduced to cool light bulb they need alot more juice than what these pedals give them to really do their thing.

7. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I've had both the TK999US one and the Japanese version. I think the US version sounds a lot better especially with a 12AT7 tube.

8. morbid

morbid Member

dont have any personal experience with either one.,, but i'm hearing the old ones better (tan with red text) and i'm also hearing the new ones better (shiney metal) so i'm a bit unsure and confused...

from utubes seems the the older one had more "warmth".. but you can never tell with these clips. In general (always a risk of being scorned to say this... but ill do it anyway) whenever there is a valve/tube in a battery-operated box, its mainly for the 'bling' factor, while the solid-state parts doing most of the heavy lifting... one sure sign to tset if they have a major role in the sweatshop is if they get blistering hot..

it also seems to make a difference WHICH tube is in there, cuz some of them are designed to operate cold, and of course, what sound you are after ultimately makes all the difference. its all about preference

my advice would be to get an Ibanez Gemini (SteveVai Associated toy)- it should give you rich options of moderate to hard rock overdrive, or nice saturated lead distortion on the cheap.. starts at vintagy 70's creamy leads and then reaches sounds kinda boogie-like,,(hope what i said isn't blasphemous...)
    2-in1 AB -OD/Dist- just my $.02
    but then... best to test drive yourself..

9. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I have one of the old US, tan colored ones. It flat out rocks. Massive, raunchy, tube overdrive goodness.

10. Snap

Snap Member

I've owned most variations of the Tube King (TK999, TK999US, TK999HT, PUE5 Tube). The old TK999 have a unique high gain sound (think 90's grunge), but are noisy and finicky. If you like the sound I recommend the Ibanez Pue5 Tube.

The newer TK999HT is a nice, affordable (and quiet) approximation of the older versions with plenty of gain on tap.

11. rouss

rouss Member

thats my hunch

12. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Incredible. Such a short topic and already so much bull ****. :noevil

The old TK999s are in two shapes. The Japanese version with noise reduction and the US version. Surprisingly enough, there are quite some differences in the circuits. Which one you like better: just a matter of taste and preference.

The newer one with the not-so-pedalboard-friendly-shape is a totally different animal. It's a pure distortion, better suited for metal whereas the older ones are more mid heavy, nicely compressing classic rock utilities.

Concerning the use of a pre amp tube: in version 1 it's just used in a low voltage, but it's used in tone shaping, not gain. Not necessary. The impact on the sound is huge when you change out a pre amp tube.

13. lovecarriedcros

lovecarriedcros Member

I owned the big red one and I'm on here looking for another, i sold mine due to the fact that I wanted all my pedals to be make to run off 9v bit daisy chain type deal to make my board lighter and wanted the extra space. I figured that I could find a small pedal that could pull off the same tones but nope, I have up looking and figured I rather have that huge pedal instead of needing two pedals and a noise gate to pull off my metal tones, which actually takes up more room. I personally thought it pulled off classic rock really well too. I don't really play metal anymore but every now and then I want to relive my as I lay dying/ war of ages days ,this pedal pulls it off perfect and the noise gate works wonders. I sold mine for $75 the guy I sold it to calls me every now and then and brags about how much he loves it. For non metal tones I like my dirty little secret and bb preamp.

14. lovecarriedcros

lovecarriedcros Member

Sorry for the way I wrote that, I'm on my phone and the auto correct thing has me sounding like a two year old,lol