Tell me about the J. Rockett Archer - without mentioning Klon

89strat

I currently use a maxon od808, so that's my point of reference. I tend to keep it with drive at 9:00 and volume at 3:00 for lighter overdrive sounds or I use it in front of my RAT as a boost. Everything sounds the same to me on youtube, and I've read how the archer is a kon type pedal. I've never played a klon so I'll assume its a good klon type pedal. I'm more curious as to how it compares to an od808. So for anyone whose had experiences with the Archer and an OD808 (or even a tube screamer and klon) how do they differ. Bonus points for anyone who's used one to boost a rat.

MarkV

Gold Supporting Member
To me tubescreamers and klons are very similar.
I feel the TS tend to cut low end a bit more than a klon.
The klon has more sparkle in the high end frequencies.
Both have a dominant mid, albeit a bit different, but with lower gain settings this is less dominating with a klon.

The TS tends to let some clean sounds through with the overdriven signal (which I do not like). The Klon gain knob, from what I understand, also somewhat blends the clean and overdriven sounds, but I do not actually hear that as much with a TS.

I have used both TS and Klon types in front of a Rattler (Rat clone) and I like the Klon better than the TS in that setup because of the above. But I also run the Klon pretty clean with gain at about 9:00. So it mainly adds some high end sparkle and boosts the volume going into the Rattler (or other OD)

Daytona57

I have stacked a Fulldrive Mosfet into a Rat and an Archer Ikon, gold, set to boost into the amp. The Ikon boosts the low mids.

The Ikon is a pedal that I use as an end of overdrives boost, for thickening the tone for regular and slide playing.

YMMV

Hawkmoon269

On my current board I have a TS mini and an Archer going into a Rat. The Archer has more volume available. It has really a **** ton of volume available, and I really don't ever turn that knob up past 2:00 unless I'm *really* trying to goose something. The Archer uses hard clipping, so if you turn the gain way up you get tones similar to a DS-1. Usually I keep the gain down but it's fun to use as a distortion pedal sometimes. There's somewhat of a mid hump but not to the same extent as the TS. The treble knob is different than a regular tone knob in that it only affects the upper frequencies. I get a great overdrive tone by running the TS into the Archer, so they are both worth keeping on a board, if you have space.

The Archer is an extremely versatile tool. I'll probably never get rid of mine and it never leaves the board, although its role sometimes changes.

deepcove17

I currently use a maxon od808, so that's my point of reference. I tend to keep it with drive at 9:00 and volume at 3:00 for lighter overdrive sounds or I use it in front of my RAT as a boost. Everything sounds the same to me on youtube, and I've read how the archer is a kon type pedal. I've never played a klon so I'll assume its a good klon type pedal. I'm more curious as to how it compares to an od808. So for anyone whose had experiences with the Archer and an OD808 (or even a tube screamer and klon) how do they differ. Bonus points for anyone who's used one to boost a rat.
I have both a Silver Archer and an OD808 on my board ( and a Keeley TS9). I do not have a RAT however I do boost into a Timmy and also a Keeley BD2. I prefer the OD808 for this purpose. It has more girth than the Archer. The Archer has more sizzle and as stated above less mid hump than a TS. I like to use my Archer to push an amp already into breakup territory, great for singing lead tones. Lots of gain on tap.

TheSpricket

I use the Ikon with the treble and volume set to half and gain all the way off. Such an amazing boost. As stated earlier, really fills up the low mids but still adding some very sweet treble.

I also like using it, or other similar circuits, as a straight drive pedal when using a credit decent amp. Usually set with all the knobs between 11 and 10:00.

dirtytony

to me the archer was disappointing, its a very middy 808 type OD, not near the great headroom (or less compression?) of a klon, the ceriatone centura is miles ahead if you want the klon type OD.

Reactions: rh

juri

Silver Supporting Member
To me they’re less fizzy then 808s. You can also use them as a clean boost with the gain down and they color your sound just enough.

Jabby92

From my experience a TS will alter/colour the tone more than a Klon type will. The Klon I feel sort of becomes part of the amp, it does colour like any OD pedal does, but it seems more transparent to me than a TS type and not as compressed. It seems to hit the upper mids and presence and adds a lot forward attack. You definitely can feel it under your hands. I have a Tumnus pedal and its by far one of the best OD/boosts I've used. Seems to add a lot of sustain as well if you keep the gain down lower but boost the amp instead.

The TS is great too, but I mainly prefer the Klon and the frequency range it hits. Bright and crunchy to me:

89strat

Confusing thread cause you clearly mentioned a Klon, but why don’t you want a Klon mentioned?
Other posts that discuss the archer describe it as a klon. But I've never heard a klon before so I wanted someone to compare it to something I'm more familiar with.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
to me the archer was disappointing, its a very middy 808 type OD, not near the great headroom (or less compression?) of a klon, the ceriatone centura is miles ahead if you want the klon type OD.
I have two silver ones (one with ge diodes, one with si) and neither of them sounds remotely like an 808 (or any other TS), to me.

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
The clipping is less evident, it is less compressed, it cuts less bass and it cuts less mids, plus it pushes the mids in all kinds of glorious ways. Its applications are virtually the same but it's much more open sounding.

Archer -> OCD = gold

rh

Robo Sapien NoiseMaker
Platinum Supporting Member
I've got a Silver and Gold Archer, and I can't stand either one of them. Sounds like a head cold - stuffy and midrangey.

jimijimmyjeffy

I've got a Silver and Gold Archer, and I can't stand either one of them. Sounds like a head cold - stuffy and midrangey.
TBH have never owned an Archer. But, just accepting your take at face value, that is not a great sign for this type of circuit. They should sound relatively open, dynamic and non congested. Especially when compared to tube screamers and similar overdrives.

The first listening observation that made me buy a Klon KTR was that it sounded big and open for chords like a Jimmy Page type feel. The only time it gets really middy is when you crank it, but I like that option too, as it stays fat enough to get 90's tones (live mix versions of 90s tones, not bedroom or studio) even then.

The Archers do seem to get inconsistent reviews here, though they remain quite popular.

Trending Topics