Tell me about the Marshall JVM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

How does it do at the more vintagey Marshall tones? Is it more along the lines of a modded Marshall when it comes to the higher gain?

Clean tones?

Anything?

2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I think it as a good high gainer though it didn't do the classic stuff with any conviction. The clean whilst 'clean' was pretty uninspiring IMHO but I'd still love to have one for a flexible channel switcher.

The modded SLP reissue I tested at the time was much better though saying that the Ceriatone Yeti that I pulled the trigger on beats the pants off all the Marshalls I've tested (and played/owned) previously.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks. Bland clean is somewhat what I expected to be honest.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I played the JVM when they first came out, and I really didn't care for it much. Heck, I preferred the JCM 2000 TSL 100 sitting next to it. There was a JCM 800 sitting next to the TSL. My focus quickly moved to the two JCMs. I ended up buying the TSL because it could do the 800 exactly. I ended up selling it a year after I bought it, however. I like it pretty well, but it just had too many knobs to tweak and I could never get the effects loop to play nice with my pedals so I sold it and went back to my true love; simple 6 knob 4 hole. :)

5. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Gotta disagree on the tsl...very thin sounding amp. Sounded nothing like my old jcm 800. The DSL cops a much more convincing jcm tone.

The JVM on the other hand is a very good amp in my opinion. The clean is a little tricky to get just right, but you can definitely get some great fat spankin cleans out of the thing. A clean booster really livens up the clean channel and opens up a whole new tonal palette.

I found it pretty easy to dial in Plexi tones on mode 3 of the clean channel. The crunch channel nails all the jcm 800 tones from stock to hot rodded. OD1 gets into super hot rodded jcm territory and goes to an incredible high gain tone that is true to the Marshall lineage.

I don't care for OD2, but it can do modern metal if that's your thing. Doesn't have the low end of a rec, but has way more gain.

The effects loop can be finicky...not sure why Marshall struggles so much with these. But as long as you set it 100% wet there is minimal impact on the tone. This may be unacceptable for some, but its no issue for me.

The key to taming the amp is to keep the channel gains low as you move to the higher gain channels. The amp is incredibly versatile and the built in boost is sweet. No need for od pedals, but a tube screamer set for a clean boost meshes nicely with this amp.

I bought mine used and have had no reliability issues. It does a lot of things very well...not as good as some of the single channel clones, but incredibly more useful. Its the perfect live amp for me. My Mark V has been played very little since I got the JVM....and I love the Mark V.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

My current high gain tones are a Riot or Pinnacle into a clean amp. I'm thinking the JVM is gonna be a level above that setup, as good as they sound..

7. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

This is such a matter of taste... I found the JVM to lack in definition when pushed into high gain territory. By definition, I mean that it lost the punch and bite and became a rather noisy mess when highly distorted. The high gain tones are met with a rather high amount of compression. I thought the JVM did middle of the ground gain tones and cleans great though. Like I said, matter of taste.

I'd suggest a trip to the nearest dealer with one in stock and pace it out.

8. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

You're correct. The super high gain can get messy. If you try it again, roll the gain back to 9:00 on the highest gain mode of OD1 or 2. Great tones with much less compression. The compression is easily dialed out by increasing the channel master and reducing the overall master.

9. lpaul626

lpaul626 Silver Supporting Member

Bump for a timely thread (considering one myself). Can anyone speak to the clean headroom in the 50 watters as well?

10. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Can't speak for the 205, but the 410 has a ridiculous amount of clean headroom. I would spend the extra $$$ and get a 410 as its a much more versatile live amp. The master volumes are great so home playing is a breeze as well.

11. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Solid versatile sounding Marshall amp

I like the 50 watter (Still versatile, 6 modes/channels) its simpler as well. The cleans are very nice (considering its a Marshall lol) the OD and high gain channels are really nice! The OD Orange on CH 2 is killer imo, just a real kickass Marshall OD british sound (JCM 800 with OD pedal type tone).. The 1 minor complaint is the amp is slightly compressed, its not terrible but its slightly more compressed than your ave OD type Marshall, thats my 1 minor complaint, other than that its great, Oooo the master volume on the amp and loop are really good as well, the amp sounds killer at lower volumes!

:dude

12. DRS

DRS Member

Use the search function. There have been some epic and informative threads on the JVMs.

13. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Great clean channel for a Marshall.
    The crunch channel, I agree that it is just ok, doesn't really do the old Marshall tones well, even when cranked. But, a pedal pushing it some fixes that, IMO.

Here are a couple of clips that show the clean and crunch channels when used with the Fryette SAS:
    The od channels are pretty hot n compressed. OD1 has typical Marshall mids, od2 has the mids shifted down in frequency, a bit more modern sounding. The latest megadeth record was recorded using the JVM. Same with the latest Chickenfoot, i believe. I think Satch has been using them since 09?

It's not the older Marshalls. Has it's own thing going, but still very Marshall in attack, feel, sound and response. I like it better than the DSL100. Despite all the modes, eqs, dual master volumes, etc., it's very easy to use.

Edit: I really like the Pinnacle for the hot rodded Marshall tones. I believe that the JVM is much better.

14. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

It's an extremely versatile Marshall amp. I suffer from ear fatigue. That is to say I get bored very fast with the same old tone no matter how good it is. Those who say the JVM is too complicated, maybe to them it is but really it's very simple. The controls are exactly the same for each channel, just that each chann. is voiced differently. There are 3 modes (foot switchable) per chann. I have the 410 (100 watt) combo. As far as the cleans go, I'm using an Xotic EP booster which IMO should be included with this amp. It adds so much to boosting the clean channels to where they should be. Not to say you have to leave it on all the time, nope, just when you want a bit more hair on it. I also have a 50 watt DSL which pretty much collects dust since I got the JVM. Besides gigs and rehearsals, I practice several hours every night. I like running through the different channels/modes as I practice, they all inspire me to play differently. A great amp for recording as well. This is where the versatility really shines. When I record and am looking for a specific sound, I just run thru the channels/modes, and I’m sure to find it in there.

15. James M

James M Supporting Member

I was really excited about this amp (I had the 410), being that I love 80's rock and metal. However, in reality I found it exceptionally noisy (buzzy, whooshy noise) on the higher gain settings...like noise gate loud, and I don't usually use one. I tried re-tubing, and found some luck with a lower gain tube in V1, but overall it was pretty unbearable, even with the guitar muted. I was a frequent reader on the Marshall JVM forum, and found this to be a common complaint. Also, I initially thought having 12 different channels or whatever would be cool, but in reality it proved to be too much for me...I used clean, and OD 1 (green and yellow mode) and that was it. Ultimately I sold it. But hey, now I play a Bassman clone, so perhaps I'm not the best judge!

16. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

The thing to remember about all the channels and modes is that you don't have to use them all. if you find 1, 2, 3 that you like great! If you buy a single or 2 channel amp and you can't dial it in, you’re stuck with it. With the JVM, there are 12 classic Marshall tones in there. I have my favorites but truthfully after owning the amp for over a year I'm still finding tones in there that are new and very useable. As far as noise goes, it was never an issue for me, but go for the more classic tones.
    But remember, you don't have to use them all, just the one(s) you like.

17. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

That's exactly how I felt when I first got the TSL 100. And, like you, soon figured out I didn't like spending more time twisting knobs than playing. I went back to the good old, tried and true, 4 hole plexi circuit (bought a Germino).

18. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I honestly find the channels set n forget once you get em dialed in.
    The only thing the really changes is the resonance goes up and presence goes down as the volume goes up, as I find the tone thins out some at higher volumes, thru V30s.
    It does take a bit longer than a JCM800 or DSL50 to dial in, due to the 4 channels and how much gain is available on the od channels. But, once you figure out how you're gonna use it, no sweat, no need for constant knob changing, like a Mesa Mark series.

19. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

The old studio had the GainStar, Aiken, Mesa, Fenders and other stuff. I finally landed on the JVM because it is so versatile and has a great master volume. Sounds good directly into the board and the main-in sounds good with the Axe and other modelers. I like it well enough to keep it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  20. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

+1 this amp is very impressive, specially in a band context......at higher volumes keep the gain in OD1 and OD2 below 10:00o'clock.:YinYang