Tell me about the Maven Peal Ganesha

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by photios, Sep 16, 2006.

1. photios

photios Member

I'm intrigued by this amp...I play in an ACDC tribute band and I need something to give me the authentic ACDC plexi tone, but at small club volume levels...thinking maybe the Ganesha would do it...what do you think?

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Absolutely you could dial a great AC/DC type tone. You can run a KT66 tubes in it or EL34s or a pair of both. You can switch between either set or both at the same time and all the while dial the actual volume to anything from silly quiet to way loud with one knob and the tone stays the same. Plus the built in power conditioner keeps hum to a minimum.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I found the Ganesha to be very ice picky trebly...Buy a Germino as I did for the absolute Best Plexi amp that's ever been made...Bar none...I have a Lead 55 model....amazing amp

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ice picky? Haven't found that!

The Ganesha covers the range of all Marshall sounds during the Plexi era.
    I set it up with 2 KT66's and 2 EL34's. You can have either all four on or any two by flipping a switch.

The greatest thing about the Ganesha is that you can set your tone up then adjust the overall volume with the Wattage control - this is incredibly useful for getting the same overdriven sound at different volumes. I wouldn't call it a "bedroom amp" but you can get very pleasing tones at quite low volumes - it's best on stage where it can be set precisely for the size of the room or any local ordinances but it can fill Stadia too.

The way I use it I can cop that early "thick and chewy" Mick Taylor sound on Crusade or the Eric Clapton "Beano" or Peter Green - but David Zimmermann, the designer, is a big AC/DC fan and it's all in there.

So to recap it's basically a Marshall Plexi type with useful additions in order to obtain that overdrive sound at various volumes.

I can go into further detail if you want but didn't want to make this too long. Let me know.

Best, Pete.

5. photios

photios Member

I actually bought one yesterday off of fleabay for $2K (I dont know if that is a good price or not)...it is, according to the seller, in like new condition with no rips, tears, bumps, dents, issues. It comes with something called a Bias Smart cord and a Flight Case. I've been considering getting a small 40 watt Aiken, Germino or Blockhead, but I've read some very appealing reviews about the Ganesha and when this one popped up, I just had to try to win it. It should arrive mid-week, but already excited about the prospect of it solving my thrist for authentic ACDC tone at reasonable volumes...just wondering if I'm getting my hopes up only to be let down or if this amp may actually give me what I'm looking for.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Aiken Intruder for sure would cover you... I have a 1x12 30 watter.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

OK, I like all the other amps mentioned in this thread some are more purist than others but I don't believe any are as flexible as the Ganesha. None will go from 1 to 100watts (actually Dave Z. says it peak out at about 140watts). Let's assume that you do not need those extremes............

I set it up as a two and two amp which is most flexible to me and means I can get away with a 2x12 Greenback cabinet. As I said switching between the two different sorts of power valves is easy and enlightening to be able to do so.

Other additional features from an original plexi includes being able to switch in or out the brights from both the low volume and the high treble volumes. A preamp boost switch is available and a power amp boost switch (tight, loose or boost - which actually affect the Negative feedback of the amp) I find this control most useful. There is also the most comprehensive EFX loop of an amp I've come across (you can run a cord from out to in and get a Master Volume control, I don't do this). If you switch the EFX loop off it is completely out of the audio circuit.

Have I mentioned the cleans? Better than Marshall - Dave is a master at getting great cleans. One of the secrets to getting great overdriven sounds is the balance of the two volume controls (it's as if you've linked the 4 input Marshalls together) - great fun to experiment with. The Ganesha is capable of getting an incredible "snarl"! Does your Ganesha have the Warren Haynes mod (yes, he has one)? All that means is a Mid Range boost. The Haynes ones on 4 = regular on 10. I love Mids and haven't found this necessary.

I suggest you download the Manual from the Maven Peal site and read it whilst you are waiting.
    Enjoy your new amp.

Best, Pete.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

There are many amps I think that could 'nail' AC/DC .. Wizard .. also comes to mind :D
    But Maven Peal amps are some of the best around with great flexibility, also they are way more then a one trick pony. with the right tubes and settings you will be able to get a lot of different sounds.
    To photos congrats on landing a great amp!

9. photios

photios Member

OK thanks for all the postive glow...anybody else have anything to say about the ganesha?

10. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

The bias smart cord lets you bias your tubes. The back panel has plug ins. Sure beats going to a techie especially given the wide array of tube types this thing takes. You'll like it. No worries.....Dave has posted settings for a variety of tubes and the bias proceedure. Very straightforward.

11. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I am planning on doing the mid mod. I've got one of the early pine box ones - I think that became standard at some point. Has any else done that?

12. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

A couple of years back, Dave sent me a prototype in wood and then later the production version. Well, I just couldn't get them to do what I wanted. They sounded lifeless to me after a while. And, OMG are they frickin HUGE. The head is heavier than alot of combo amps out there and it's wider than most standard 4x12 cabs too.

If your in a AC/DC tribute band get yourself a Marshall 50 watt, crank that sucker and get a good attenuator for the smaller clubs. You'll be alot happier and your back or roadies will love you.

IPH

P.S. Dave is a class act and one of the nicest peple you'll ever wanna meet.

13. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Yes they are big and a bit of a pain in the ass to move around....I have one of the original pine box ones. But with the flight case it's totally protected when moving around and boy is it one helluva great and flexible amp. So many useful features....it would take too long to list. Luv being able to precisely bias on the fly and the effects loop is the best I've had in an amp. I'll never get rid of mine. Mod for more mids.....don't need it....plenty on tap as is.

You guys that are using the KT-66's...how are they different from the EL34's?.....which one ya using/preffered brand?

14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I'll throw this out there- Marshall 2061x for AC/DC at small club levels. Really nice sounding little head.

15. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Mine doesn't sound ice-picky either. It's a beautiful sounding amp but maybe too much so for ac/dc. I think something with a little more edge would be a better choice, perhaps an alum panel jmp, early jcm800 or similar. They have more crunch and feel a bit looser.

16. Chevelle

Chevelle Member

I don't own one, but I have played one. In my opinion the Ganesha is a dream amp. Sound great, flexible, incredible sound at low volumes, etc, etc. I'm suprised to read that some people couldn't find Angus in there.

17. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I had no problem finding Angus in mine. I find people are timid about turning the dials. Run both volumes at 12 hit the pre boost and turn the sag up to 9 or so. Oh yea a cheap gainy preamp tube helps more then a smooth Mullard. ;)

18. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I admit I've been lax about swapping tubes with the Ganesha. :)

FWIW, the Roccaforte 18 I had did nail the Angus sound.

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

As I said to Dave Z., the Ganesha is actually big enough for Angus to live in........really.

Best, Pete.

20. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I can't tell you about the Ganesha but my Maven Peal Tuskadaro does AC/DC easily. Maybe a Ganesha owner can clarify but I was told the Tusk is basically a Ganesha w/o the effects loop. With a built in power conditioner, sag circuit and a couple other features Dave Z. told me about I'm very impressed with it.