Tell me about the PRS 6 and 7 pickups...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fretmaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I love my Custom 22 when opened up but I hate the way it muffles when I roll back on the volume knob. I think the problem is simply inherent to the Dragon I pickups and there's probably not much I can do but replace them. It's a real shame since they really are smokin otherwise.

What I'm wondering about is the PRS 6 and 7 pickups I see in the Singlecut models. Do these pickups work better with guitar volume knob changes? I am considering picking up a Singlecut so I'm very curious if I'm giong to end up needing to swap out pickups on one of these as well or not. I love old PAF style pickups. I have a set of WCR Good Woods that I'm thinking about putting in the custom. But if I'm going to have to swap out the pickups in a Singlecut to be happy also I need to figure that into my investment before I buy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Have you thought about a capacitor?

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I have, but I'm afraid my problem more inherent to the design of the Dragon I's. If anyone has done this mod with the Dragon I's and had good results (cleans up and doesn't get muddie or rolled off highs when rolling back on the volume knob) then please let me know and tell me what you used.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

180pf cap across the first two lugs of the volume control. IMO the Dragons clean up very well with this mod.

PRS#6's were bright, shrill, and lifeless IMO.
    the #7's are much better, warm and round, with a modern feel.

Any of those will have much less output than the Dragon Bridge, which is a VERY hot pickup. My favorite of the PRS Line is the Dragon2's or Artists pickups. These also clean up well with the cap mod.

5. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Big Mike- would you say that 180pf value works best with the Dragon due to it's output? I know the avg value used for this fix is a 100pf, innit?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm using @8.3k in the bridge(s) and 7.5-7.7k in the neck(s) of both my R8 and my 335, and I want to get rid of the same problem, and do so correctly the first try.

Thanks Mike.

6. anndy123

anndy123 Guest

big mike, i have the same problem with my prs singlecut with #7 PUs.somebody told me to use a 220 pf cap. when i roll back the volume it goes like this:first looses the highs a bit and after that the highs are back more then you would like it sounds like a stupid banjo!if i use 180 pf woult it be better?does the pot have anything to do with this? cause' the LP i have cleans up very nice and has no cap in it.and more than that PRS's pickups clean up the same as gibson pickups cleans up in LP!

7. big mike

I've only ever used the 180pf because that's stock in the 5 way equipped PRS. Seems to work well for me.

Can't comment on other values, but it should work quite well with a Dragon 1

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Ok... I'm going to give it a try. Next question; any particular brand and where would I go to buy or order one? Thanks for the help!

9. big mike

Nah, Cap is a Cap. Maybe Radio Shack, or Mojo supply or something.