Tell me about the PW Tru-Strobe tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Iversen, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Iversen

Iversen Member

Has anyone had any first-hand experience with this thing? The specs look absolutely badass, but so did the Chromatic Pedal tuner's and that thing kinda let me down.

I'd like to know how fast it tracks and whether you can read it well if you mount it on a pedal board. I'd be using it with an A/B switch, so the lack of stomp switches wouldn't be a problem. It's designed for table top use, so perhaps the angle is off? Finally, is it too precise?

2. joeschai

joeschai Member

You want one? I'll sell you mine. Brand new for $80.

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

It's a great strobe tuner. It's accurate up to .1 cents, so you're far beyond Boss specs there. It's affordable and built in a heavy duty case. Since you're using an A/B switch for it, you won't have to worry about the quality of the buffer.

I think it's a great product and it hasn't given me any issues, I guess time will tell (after all, I liked the Strobostomp in the beginning). But yes, the Tru-Strobe tuner has replaced my intermittent Strobostomps and I'm fine with it... it simply works. :)

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's basically a cruder turbo-tuner. it looks to be built solidly, but might be oddly-shaped for pedalboard use.

5. metalman

metalman Member

I bought a Tru-Strobe shortly after they came out, and it's a big disappointment. Here are some of the issues I have with it:

1. Unstable display - it will jump around a lot and often has trouble picking up the note. Sometimes it gets into a weird mode where the display is on solid and does not respond to the note.

2. Puts out lots of noise if it's plugged inline with distortion pedals. The problem goes away if you run it from the battery.

3. Eats batteries fast. A 9V alkaline battery only lasts a few hours.

4. Auto shutoff cannot be overridden. It will shut off after 5 minutes and there's no way to defeat this feature. Real annoying.

5. Does not have the ability to change the cents offset or do drop tuning.

6. Works very poorly with acoustic guitars.

7. Also, the pictures all show it with blue LEDs, but they are actually red. Apparently all of them are this way.

I was going to send it back for a refund but never got around to it. However, I have finally gotten off my ass and ordered a Turbo Tuner. Looking forward to comparing the two side-by-side.