Tell me about the Rickenbacker 381v69

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mejis, May 14, 2020.

1. Mejis

Mejis Member

I’ve had mild GAS for one of these for quite awhile, but it’s escalating to the point where I’m semi-serious about ordering one.

I think it’s one of the coolest looking guitars out there, and I owned a 360 many years ago so I have some experience with the Ric feel and vibe. Is the 381 a different beast than the 360? Here are a few other questions:

- How noisy are the pickups in general (Toaster & High Gain)? I tend to play loud with a fair bit of drive, and my amp has a bit of a noise floor (Komet Concorde). I’m fine with a Strat but P90s hum a bit much for me. I just can’t remember how the Ric did cranked up.

- Also related to noise; is the 381 prone to squealing microphonics at volume? I’m a huge fan of the good kind of controlled feedback, but that high pitched squeal is awful.

- Would you get the 6 or the 12? I only play a 12 string once in a blue moon... so I’d probably have the 12 strung as a 6. I’m thinking maybe the option is good though?

I play mostly pop and 90’s style alt rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo, Silverchair), and punk/emo like Brand New, Saves the Day, and Jimmy Eat World. Drop D is about as heavy as I go for the most part.

381 pics are of course welcome and encouraged to fuel the GAS further. Thanks!

RICFREAK likes this.
  2. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

Here.... you asked for it :p
    [​IMG]
    I think the 381V69 is one of the most beautiful instrument RIC makes.

3. Mejis

Mejis Member

Man, I thought I was torn between fireglo and mapleglo, but that blue is sweet! Thanks for sharing!

4. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

I had a 6 string 381...I waited for ages to get it and it was the most expensive guitar I’d ever purchased. Owned it for a while but I didn’t care for it as it sounded really lifeless. Beautiful guitar though. I bought it just prior to a Rickenbacker price hike, then later traded it to the same dealer for more than I paid. That part made me happy.

5. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

[​IMG]

Had this during the '80's/'90's. Beautiful guitar but heavy, and darker-sounding than the 360-12 WB I used to gig with.

Danny W.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    RICFREAK likes this.
  6. kidtwist

kidtwist Member

Here's mine, brand new and right out of the box. Don't have it anymore. I ended up trading it for something I happened to want more at the time but now I wish I had this back. I never played it very loud or overdriven so I can't answer your pickup questions very well, but I don't remember the pickups as being noisy compared to other single coils. If it were me, I'd get the 6 string. The 12 string ricks are just too hard to play for me unless they're the wider necked 660 ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RICFREAK and flume like this.
  7. norska

norska Member

I have GAS for one of these too. I've been curious about how they compare to the 360 too, since they're so much more money!

8. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I'm getting one.

9. roswell

roswell Member

TI George Benson 13's + neck pup = jazz machine.

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have never played one, but I can tell you they are pretty much the most expensive Ricks on the used market, not counting vintage Ricks. I have been watching used prices. I hardly see these for less than $3500 or maybe a bit less. Of course, asking price is sometimes different than getting price. I always called these the John Kay guitar. It has the German carve that no other Rick has, and shows off that design element that was so common to Roger Rossmeisl, the German who designed that guitar. For some reason, I have never had the GAS to own a 381. I'm more into the 330, 360 and 620 models.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to acquire another 330, but a 6 string this time. Anybody got a JetGlo (black) 330 they want to unload?