Tell me about the Stiletto Ace cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratotastic, Jul 19, 2008.

1. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

I have a Lonestar Special on the trading block and have been especially interested in the Stiletto Ace. I'm trying to move toward something a little more nasty & crunchy. Although I always like a little dirt on my sound, there are times when I need nice cleans. I've had some great clean amps over the years ('64 Bassman, '62 Deluxe, my current amp, etc.) and am not expecting that out of a set of EL-34s, but am wondering if the Ace can at least hang with the likes of those guys. At the moment I play mostly modern alternative and power pop-type stuff, so the crunch is the priority, but for side situations, I'm wondering if the Ace might compromise too much in the clean department.

Right now I run the LSS with a DI Crunch Box to get into that zone, and am not sure whether it might be worth sticking with that rather that going with the Ace. I also have a potential Mark IV trade lined up but might be having doubts--I used to have a Mark IV years ago and the constant tweaking drove me nuts, but I might be better spot to deal with it now.

Are there any others in the $1,500-and-under demo that I should look into for great cleans and Marshall crunch?

Thanks.

2. shibby

shibby Member

the ace has great cleans, seems to be well suitable for your needs. not twin reverb clean, but still very nice

3. hecticone

hecticone Member

I had that amp for a weekend to test out and put it thru its paces.Being that I had used twins a long time the cleans just were'nt there for me. And like all mesas dialing in was a chore.I brought the knucklehead tre home the following weekend and ended up keeping it.It really is a couple notches above the boogie.

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

to me dialing a Mesa is the easiest of them all, including my Budda, but then again, i grew up playing Mesas.
    Avg time 45 seconds dialing a Mesa
    16 minutes dialing in a Budda
    forever trying to dial in a Marshall, unless it is all on ten.
    Damn i miss my Gina, i love her

The stiletto has very good cleans but will never hang out with your Lonestar in that dept.

5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Ace cleans will unquestionably quench your thirst. I have owned both the LSS and Ace 2x12 combo. I thought the cleans were just superb with both of my single coil guitars especially in the fat clean mode.

6. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input, guys. Looks like a pretty even split b/t yeas and nays. I actually had a JCM 800 2204 (Canadian) for a while which I loved, but it wasn't versatile enough for what I'm doing now, which is mostly cover songs. I'd love to have both the LSS and the Ace, but just don't have the means right now. Maybe I'll just bag the Ace and go for the Mark IV...

7. progholio

progholio Supporting Member

I own an Ace, the cleans are good, when switched in the fat mode it can get kind of Fender-y. It really shines when you turn it up and it gets raunchier, like a good old Marshall which is what was the intended purpose of this amp.
    If you crank the amp and roll back the guitar volume you could hang with the other amps you mention, then when you feel like it open the throttle and give 'em a sharp stick in the eye.
    The crunch is one of the best around, don't expect flubby, low end, modern high gain sounds or you might be dissapointed. More like a good modified JCM800.
    I am not really a fan of Boogies trademark sound but this amp is completely out of character for them (you can actually hear the sound of your guitar!) must be why i like it.
    Definitely a great choice for power pop, modern alt, all rock, classic metal, everything but nu-metal.