Tell me about the Tampa area. Contemplating relocating

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wrxplayer, Sep 5, 2018.

1. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

There is a New Balance store on Dale Mabry in the Carrolwood area.

2. clint

clint Member

I've always had a thing for St. Pete Beach but worried about storms/sea level rise/flooding. Probably stick to taking vacations there.

Peteyvee likes this.
  3. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Yeah that’s an issue too, along with the degradation of gulfside beach quality.

I was a ways south down in Collier county, so this may not apply to Tampa, but in the 7 years I was there the beaches became uninhabitable in the winter months due to rapidly increasing red algae blooms. We left earlier this year but still have contacts there who are telling they’ve got large marine mammal kills washing up on the beaches now.

It’s actually quite sad what’s happened there, especially knowing it was totally preventable. Florida has some extremely incompetent leaders.

aiq likes this.
  4. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

No one really knows what causes the red tide algae blooms. They have been recorded as happening back to the 19th century. Blue-green algae happening on the river is another story

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

There's quite a bit of research that shows that it's chelated iron, mostly coming from storms in Africa, and not from sugar mill run off as is commonly reported

FenderBigot likes this.
  6. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

When I first moved to Tampa I used to check the "musicians" section of Craig's ....I did end up finding a couple folks on there I have played with (better luck with Band Mix and referrals), but I remember regularly coming across angry posts by a steel player who was looking for work...wonder if it was Dickey ;)

outlawten5 likes this.
  7. pale fire

SPB is where I go too, but that's just because it is an easier drive from my house....I highly recommend Clearwater instead....just seems like nicer beach / sand to me...and better restaurants

clint likes this.
  8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

We were thinking about buying a house on Treasure Island right on the gulf until we found out we couldn't buy flood/hurricane insurance. The highest elevation there is 3'. The house was on stilts but store surge from a Cat 4 or 5 will take care of that pretty quick. Too bad, I really like that area. Dunedin is nice too, but too far from Tampa to commute...

9. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

Never heard that about red tide. The blue/green algae feeds off the phosphate from agricultural runoff. The fact that they dump into Lake O is known. There are a few documentaries on YT.

10. pale fire

I work with some folks who come in from Dunedin to Tampa every day (and Sarasota and Lakeland if you can believe that)....they tend to come in to work early so they beat morning rush hour.....but they drive home in it.....I did my share of long commutes in the past (including riding New Jersey Transit or the Metroliner every day), and won't do it again, but I am easily frustrated when driving...these folks tend to be calmer than me......

T92780 and FenderBigot like this.
  11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Lakeland is crazy unless their office is on the outskirts of Tampa. Dunedin and Clearwater would tend to make me insane because of the traffic. In my experience, I-4 isn't that bad between Orlando and Tampa if you avoid Orlando and Tampa...never drive to Tampa from Sarasota so I have no comment except for I-75 in those parts is like our 405, which is the world's longest parking lot. I used to do a 25 mile commute on the 405 and it could take anywhere from 25 minutes to my personal record which was 3 hours and 20 minutes in the pouring rain. Mudslides had closed every other north/south route and there was no other way to get home. That was sheer hell...

Slackerprince and pale fire like this.
  12. pale fire

While I never lived in so cal I have been traveling there since the late 60s. Have a lot of family and friends there and work took me there as well. It could be the greatest place in this country if it weren’t for the traffic.

13. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

Florida man lives there.

stevemc and Slackerprince like this.
  14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

The most important thing to know is it's hot. Also it gets a bit warm here. If you leave a water bottle out on the sidewalk all day it will be a puddle of plastic when you come back. Some people like the heat, I do. Did I mention it's hot because....it's hot.

pale fire, T92780 and FenderBigot like this.
  15. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Yeah, no kidding.

S

16. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Just now cooling off. :cool:

S

17. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

It is just starting to cool a bit tonight. Feels nice. :)

18. pale fire

Summer is no treat in Washington, Baltimore, Texas, Arizona, etc... For me the difference is all those places start to cool down in September....so it is only 3 months or so of blazing heat......it can still be 90 (and LOTS of sun) in November here....but like all you said, we are getting a break this starting this week!

FenderBigot likes this.
  19. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

58 degrees outside right now! :D

Slackerprince likes this.