Tell me about the the Barber Tone Press

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laroosco!, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

This looks like a handy little box, but I'd like to hear from some of you that have spent some time with it.

Thanks

2. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

It's my favorite comp...I prefer it to my buddy's Keeley. That blend feature is so dang great. VERY transparent, too, with a great boost if you want it. For the price, it can not be beat.

3. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Mine stays on all the time. It does a pretty good job as a bit of boost and the blend knob works really well. Kind of the best of both worlds. Nice sustain without being very noticeable at all.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I've only heard excellent things about it. I use the diamond comp, which doesn't need a blend knob (amazing comp), but I'd really like to try out a TP someday

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I got my TP almost 2 years ago and I still LOVE it to this day. Compared it to a bunch of other comps and it was just the best for me. I use it for normal comp on clean sounds as well as set for slight boost for single note clean leads and on low gain leads. Very transparent, the blend control is the best feature, very nice to change the comp quickly.

6. Shaman

Shaman Member

I seem to fall in the rarer camp of not caring for the Tone Press as much as the other boutique comps (although it far outshines any Boss or MXR comps). I found it a bit "looser", less clear, and prone to dulling the highs a bit more than a variety of others (e.g. Analogman Bi-comp (Ross side), TRex CompNova, Menatone JAC), even with the trim knob fully set to let highs through. But. . .it's a pretty subtle difference, and I do tend to prefer the transparent opto style comps compared to the Ross style (which I believe the Barber is). If you're looking for the sustain and Ross style comps it's one of the best -- although I'd pick the Analogman compRosser over it (tighter, more hi-fi) if I was using single-coils; with humbuckers the Barber's probably a better choice as you have the blend knob to set it so your higher output buckers signal doesn't get slammed down as much as it might with the compRosser.

Cheers!

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Currently, I'm with you Shaman.

I played around with mine, tried opening up and adjusting also the trimpot for "coloration" inside to get something I liked. I know many people really like theirs, but personally, I liked my Marshall ED-1 (Ed the Compressor) way better right off the bat.

The ED-1 is a LOT less expensive, has more options (can adjust it to compress MORE on the highs or lows, or the whole spectrum..) and just plain sounds better to me. The ED-1 I can get to make the clean sound great (but don't notice the compressor til you turn it off and miss the extra oomph it gave), mild compression, all the way down to country twang guitar Tele-compression.

The Barber is not a bad pedal (in my opinion), just I have had a hard time figuring out what the fuss is, to me the ED-1 is way better.

And I just recently took the BP off the shelf and gave it another tryout...I was thinking of having it on my second board, but...it sounded fine, but at that price I think I'd rather have bought another ED-1.

8. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I'll trade you a mint ED-1 for your TP!:D

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I like my barber tone press, which Ive owned for about 3 years. It isn't ideal, but I've found it to work best with my rig... I own one of the first Barber Direct Drives, and the compressor sounds fabulous with the barber OD pedal. My suspision is that Dave designs his pedals to work in ideal enviornments (IE: with his pedals) as he designs and uses them in his recording studio. Ive found it great for recording situations... I actually use mine to compress vocals and acoustic guitars.

10. bushido

bushido Member

i have one for sale if anyone's interested :D

11. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I'm another one the of few who does not care for the Tone Press. In theory, the TP with it's blend feature sounded like it would be the perfect compressor for me...so I bought one. But in practice, I have not been able to bond with it at all. I still prefer my old, crappy, what everyone apparently hates around here...but strangely enough is seemingly used by more pros than any other....Boss CS-3! :eek:

I still have the Tone Press and haven't sold it because I keep thinking that if I keep going back to it I may have a different opinion of it. But so far...no go.

IMO, compressors are one of the most subjective effects. You'll most likely have to bite the bullet, buy one, and try it for yourself in your rig to really tell if it's your cup of tea.

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Funny, I use a Tone Press and a CS-3 for the same job on different pedalboards. I do enjoy the TP. I keep mine set with the blend more towards the dry signal with the sustai knob at 3:00, volume at unity gain, and I'm rather happy. The CS-3 does this pretty well also (a little bit less hiss, but not quite as much uncompressee attack available to m ears).

The ED-1 was a surprise for me. It does the heavily compressed thing nicely, but it also does the lightly compressed volume boost thing VERY nicely. A word of warning, the wierd jack doesn't like the oversized Monster Cable jacks (so far, all other cables welcome).

Brett

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've had two...after I sold the first one I revisited it as I thought maybe I might have missed something....but I came away with the same conclusion that it had this fattening and thickening affect that I didn't care for...in my setup I liked it better as a fat boost than a comp...but then I don't like many pedal comps...the BJF PGC being the lone exception as it doesn't screw with your base tone like the others comps. seem to do when on...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How do you mean? I was curious about this comment, though my ED-1 has no problems, I notice my Marshall VT-1 on the output jack..the plug kind of comes about 1/8" out after I plug it in. I'm using George L's, and a different George L works fine in there....but the one I was using..you plug it in solid and a second later it kinda pops out just a smidgen..weird.

15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The way the jacks are designed on the Marshall series, the hex nut has a sleeve attatched to it, and that is the ground. The hot lead is inside the hole and physically seperate (seems a bit different, but works fine). The sleeve itself has a very small tolerance for 1/4" jack sizes (I guess because the sleeve must make contact with the jack). The Monster Cables, in an attempt to ensure "secure" contact make the 1/4" jacks just a bit oversized, causing one to run into problems when trying to plug a Monster Cable in (the newer ones seem to fit with a bit more consistency).

Brett

16. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

+1 Tone Press devotee

I was looking for a True Bypass pedal comp when I retired my old Boss CS-2 (still have it - the best non-true bypass comp pedal for my taste). Great for recording vocals. Doesn't "pump" with humbuckers nearly as much as many other comps like the MXR & Ross.

I also found the CS-3 to be thin, metallic and processed sounding. Yuck.

So I ponyed up the cash and got on the Analogman Bi-Comp waiting list. Waited about NINE months. Was TOO psyched.

The Bi-Comp dissapointed me big time. Had the same exact problem as many old vintage units: the "pump" sound as the compressor senses loud sounds (humbuckers) amd tried to kill the attack. It cannot be dialed out even with the attack at zero. I called Mike and he acknowledged it and sited the original MXR & Ross units as doing the same thing.

So I dug around, researched and tried the Tone Pump (less than half the price of the Bi-Comp). It is perfect for my needs. I find it 100% transparent when set right for my guitar, rig (output 2:00, blend 10:00, sustain all the way up). Great sustain, NO popping or pumping, and just great punchy clean sounds.

It has been on my board since I got it. I love it and can't picture ever needing another stompbox compressor.

FWIW: I put the AnalogMan Bi-Comp on eBay and fetched WAY over what I paid for it. I couldn't even believe it. I just laughed. Great box by the way, just really meant for low output pickups like single coils or vintage buckers I guess. On top of the popping issues, I didn't particularly like the way it colored my guitar sound.....

Just my 2 cents.....

;)

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Sounds like such a good compressor.. the best of both worlds...