Tell me about the VOX AC50 CPH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stamper, Jan 23, 2012.

1. stamper

stamper Member

I have the opportunity to trade my Fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb for a VOX AC50 CPH head and cabinet and was wondering what others have to say about such a deal. I don't know much about the AC50 CPH and can't even seem to find a general price, it seems that the price fluctuates on these all the time. I don't really like my Vibrolux, it breaks up to soon for me and doesn't take pedals as well as I'd like. I prefer a warm, clean and not to trebeley sound to come out of the amp with all pedals in bypass mode. If anybody knows anything about these amps and would like to comment, please do!

Thanks, much appreciated in advance!

2. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I'm a strong advocate for these amps because I love the way they sound, but I've never actually owned one.

Youtube is your friend, every demo I've heard of this amp has been good. It has a clean, and overdrive channel, and a master too I believe. I cannot comment on the headroom, but it seems that right now the AC50cph is at a higher price than they have been.

If you don't like what you have it won't hurt to trade unless you're worried about resale value, but they seem to be running about the same price used right now, and you're getting the cab too which seems like more than a fair trade to me.

3. 3th3r

3th3r Member

4. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

I really like mine a lot. If it's a warm and full sound that takes pedals well you're after I think you'll like the clean channel too. It's sort of based on an ac30 but it's got a lot more headroom and a more full range sound. Crank it up and it goes into overdrive that's quite raw but never harsh.

The overdrive channel is really fun, it's got a marshall like grind and the fat switch, while not being that popular in reviews, is my favourite thing for high gain tones - flip that, turn the bass down (it's got so much bottom end on tap!) and have the gain around 9:00 and you've got an awesome high gain tone that's still dynamic. I think that's one of the strengths of these amps - they clean up very well even with high gain.

5. TimH

TimH Member

I used one of these as my main rig for well over a year. The clean channel is really nice - a bit of JTM45 with a Vox top end. Takes pedals REALLY well...even the M13 I had at the time sounded great. In fact, I liked that so much that I didn't even bother with the gain channel. I always found the gain channel a bit too fizzy for my tastes although I can see how it would be good for certain kinds of music.

I'll also note that I didn't find this was a LOUD head. I nearly always ran it close to half way up, even at church, which I"ve never done with any other amp, even my Princeton clone at 12 watts.

I think these can be found for between $500-600 and for that price they're really a great amp. Puts them squarely up against a DSL and if you're a pedal guy there is not contest - the Vox is hands down better and I think built better too.

6. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

I have one, and I love it. The clean channel blows away anything you'll find in the price range, and the lead channel gives you great variety from classic rock tones to really heavy distortion. I don't even use a boost pedal anymore. I just use the lead channel when I want a little extra kick.

I put some JJ E34Ls in, and it made the tone even better.

Also, I'm not a master volume guy for the most part. I dime the master volume AND the volumes on both channels. It really opens up the amp. Before I figured this out, I felt very constrained by having gain and volume on each channel, plus the master volume. This is how I play it, and the amp is super responsive.

7. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I now have an AC100 CP head and it's very nice. The clean channel has high headroom if you want it, or a nice toothy grind if you gun the preamp.

The second channel took some effort. As was mentioned, the fat switch appears to be a whole additional gain stage worth of grit. Pretty hairy and fizzy. I'm not used to that. I want gain to pressure with less hair.

So I popped it out of the box and started sniffing around the tube layout. I used a 12AU7 in the position that corresponds to the dirty channel and a 5751 in the first stage. The amp is now quite Marshally in the second channel. I can use the fat switch no problem at all. It has huge transformers and can get damn loud if you open up the masters. The channel eqs are not the normal Marshall or Vox thing really. They are massively interactive, and there is a large amount of overlap and un anticpated change when I turn them. You really need to set them with your ears, not your eyes.

These are good amps, I've heard that Steve Grindrod, who designed so many great Marshall and Vox amps over the last 30 years, designed these as well. Now he has the Albion line, which are nice too.

I got this amp for very little money and it really delivers. I just had to set it up, get the right tubes in there. BANG, big rock on a budget. Plus, it's not that easy to find a genuine high headroom clean tube amp with good tone, especially under two grand, and this was waaay under.

8. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Played my AC50CP head in church today.
    It was amazing.

I can't believe I'm thinking of selling my beloved Rivera Knucklehead II.

It is that good.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i played one in FL and i thought it was a great amp to play in a band context.

10. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

I had one of these but sold it. I think it is a high quality amp but it is not anything like the ac30 or ac15. The clean is nice. I didn't like the reverb but that is changeable with a new pan.

The dirt channel is nearly unusable. I use pedals so thats not a major deal.

Over all the amp wasn't for me at all.

11. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Funny, I really like the dirt channel. These things are so dependent on your signal chain. (I did have it retubed though with JJ's.)

I use a HSS partscaster and the humbucker just roars through it. It's a perfect "wall of distortion" sound for modern rock for me. And the cleans are amazing as well.

Since buying it, no OD or distortion pedal GAS at all.

12. drewl

drewl Member

I think they sound pretty good and are quite versatile....but for the love of god- don't open it up and look inside.
    Just don't.

13. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Weird, I thought the dirt channel was great! What let the combo versions down was the ****** speakers, but the dirt channel through a 4x12 is incredible - you just have to remember to keep the bass quite low.

14. Baminated

Baminated Member

Just heard a dude put one through the paces live. Head through 4-12.
    Very impressive!
    For me, it would have to have a clean channel, but this thing sounds great.
    Serious sleeper

15. BLNKSN

BLNKSN Member

I use a 2x12 combo version. so far its been a great amp for gigs. i run it with the master volume pretty high with the gain between 9 and 10 o'clock and use the channel volume to adjust the overall volume. For what i play, the clean channel is all i need, just add a drive or a boost for more gain. the dirty channel offers way more gain than i need, so i don't really bother with it, but i'm sure i could dial in something that sounds pretty good if i took my time with it.