Tell me about this PRS CU22 Soapbar Please

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
Might be picking this up in a trade. I have been reading up on it, but was wondering if any PRS folk can give me any additional insight or info not readily found on the internet.

I know
  • 10 top
  • optional rosewood fingerboard
  • 3 Duncan P90s

Anything anybody knows will be appreciated. Really.

Thanks,
J

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Played one years ago. Felt great, sounded like the world's most incredibly huge stratocaster. They're very cool guitars, especially if you like P-90s. I'm a big fan of the P-90, but have had issues in the past over the long haul with Duncan P-90's. I don't remember which ones were in the PRS, but it might ultimately benefit from a swap to something like Fralins.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Great guitars, and I know they didn't make a lot of them. I've only played one (and had a blast doing so), but in the end my sloppy ham-fisted picking technique doesn't get along with most 3 p/u guitars. Otherwise, it's the usual great playing Cu22 with a 25" scale and most typically seen with a wide fat neck profile, although that model may have been offered in W/T as well. Not sure if they offered that model as an 'Artist Package', but with the gold hardware it is a possibility. That one is a stunner!

Rockin J

I've played a couple in the past. They sound great to me. What bugged me was the wide middle pickup did feel like it was in the way of my pick. I suppose it might be possible to get around this problem after awhile. Thats the only thing I did not like.

aknow

That one is a real looker, congratulations!!
I have a green 2000 w/ maple neck. It gets some unique sounds/combinations, the P90's seem to like Marshalls.
Love the rosewood neck!

sleepingtiger

I have 2, one of which is an all Korina KL380. I have switched to Thorn GT90s in that one & am pondering other pickups for my maple/mahogany one. The Thorns are phenomenal, if you can afford $185 each! think the Duncan P90s on it are muddy & terrible, but that's all personal taste. Great, fun guitars to play & the necks are a tad chunkier that a regular PRS neck. Great trem. Wonderful guitars!

Tony
show021.jpg

Cu22Soapbar.jpg

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everybody.

Do people keep the middle pickup lower than the rest, or are all 3 like a staircase? The middle pickup lower is the current set up on this one. It does seem very awkward to use a pick with this guitar. Fingerpicking works very well though.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Well, this surprise trade is quickly vying to be my #1. It combines a Strat and my P90 Les Paul, addresses the " flaws" with those designs and is built amazingly well. I find the neck very comfortable and a little tweaking of the pickup heights is offering some great sounds.

Weird when something good comes when you aren't looking for it.

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
Killer axe and it will likely be one of the best built P90's you've ever played. I concur about the stock SD P90's. Definitely not enough cut to them. I've had two PRS P90's now (my case both being McCarty's)...I put Lollars in one and Fralins in the other. Get the Fralins...no kidding. They're awesome and you'll love the difference. I'd recommend the 10% underwound neck...their stock bridge wind.

ShaunzNoiz

Loved the two that I had. Absolutely amazing guitars! Had problems getting them quiet enough to record with. In the 2 and 4 positions the pickups were a little too noisy for me to track with.

Sonically robust. I miss them.

DavidE

Love mine. I changed the neck and bridge pickups to Fralin noiseless (forget the right name) and left the middle stock. Love it!

Bit of flame on the neck:

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I have been playing this guitar a ton the last few days. My main complaint at this point would be that there is not much useful range on the volume knob. It really needs to be around 6-7 to get a basic sound clean or dirty. My P90 LP gives a great sound at 2-3 and gives me a lot of room to make different sounds. The PRS gives me from 7-10 on the volume :dunno

It is beautifully crafted and a breeze to play. I'm actually really digging the out of phase middle/bridge sound quite a bit. I don't mind the bridge pickup with a Timmy. The Duncans are a bit "crisp" for lack of a better word, but tameable. I am curious how much different or better Fralins, Lollars or even Gibson P90s sound.

Either way, I am slowly sipping the PRS Kool Aid with this one.

Rockin J

I have a prs mira 25th with the duncan p 90's. I tried a set of fralins with the standard bridge and underwound neck pickups and thought the fralins sounded bad (thin, bright and weak). To me the Seymour Duncan Co. winds a lot better sounding p 90 than the Lindy Fralin Co. Most duncan pickups are pretty hard to beat. Gibson p 90's are pretty solid and have a lot of grunt and mids if you like that sound.

Last edited:

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I've had one of these for about 5 years now. The bridge Duncan on those guitars is a hot ceramic P-90 (12.1k IIRC). The neck and middle are A5s in the 8.4k range. That explains a bit of the "crispness" you're hearing. I actually like the hot bridge pickup in that guitar, but I'm not in love with the neck and middle. If it were me, I'd swap the neck and middle for a pair of A2 Duncan Antiquities and then take the A5 magnet out of one of the old ones and use it to swap out the ceramic in the bridge. That set would balance out very well. As for the volume pot, it'd be an easy change to replace it with a good 500k CTS and wire it up for 50s style wiring with the treble bleed removed.

The Custom 22 Soapie is a killer guitar and has the best neck profile I've ever played on a PRS. It has a killer trem too. Congrats on your NGD.

Stormin

Custom22Soapbar.jpg

I have been playing this guitar a ton the last few days. My main complaint at this point would be that there is not much useful range on the volume knob. It really needs to be around 6-7 to get a basic sound clean or dirty. My P90 LP gives a great sound at 2-3 and gives me a lot of room to make different sounds. The PRS gives me from 7-10 on the volume :dunno

It is beautifully crafted and a breeze to play. I'm actually really digging the out of phase middle/bridge sound quite a bit. I don't mind the bridge pickup with a Timmy. The Duncans are a bit "crisp" for lack of a better word, but tameable. I am curious how much different or better Fralins, Lollars or even Gibson P90s sound.

Either way, I am slowly sipping the PRS Kool Aid with this one.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
I personally feel the PRS P90s models might be the ultimate "modern" sleeper. I had a black soapbar single-cut w/birds that I loved...can't believe I let it go!

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I've been lucky to have 5 days to try this guitar out before finalizing the trade and I am truly on the fence. It is perhaps the nicest built guitar I have ever played.

My hesitation comes from the fact that while this guitar could be considered a P90 Les Paul and a Strat hybrid, it is more Strat than LP IMO and I already have a decent Strat. If I did do the trade, I sense it would be with an eye towards flipping it. It would, however, probably be easier to flip than what I am trading for it.

Sorry for the ramble. Thoughts?

Thanks
J

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Everyone needs more than one decent strat. Les Pauls are entirely superfluous.

Keep it. It'll grow on you.

kebotrans

Platinum Supporting Member
I always loved this model. I purchased one way back when they first came out. As far as P90s go the pickups were just ok to me. I think that guitar with some of the more recent P90 releases would make that guitar even better. I loved it. If I find another it may have to get some D Allens or Lollars.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
If anybody is still reading this - Are the pots in these 500k short shaft? I can't get the knobs off the without some serious effort and potential damage.

Thanks,
J

Top Bottom