1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about Timmy-Why all the hype!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyjett, May 19, 2011.

1. billyjett

billyjett Member

Okay, so since I've become a new member, I kept hearing everyone talking about these Tim and Timmy pedals, but no one that I know out here in Seattle knows anything about them. So I went online to give a listen, and I thought they sounded good, but what makes them so special? I can think of a dozen pedals that will do essentially the same thing.Of course listening to them online and playing through them are two different things, but I didn't hear anything that profound to make me want to rush out and buy one, which apparently is easier said than done, since there is a waiting list to Dec. of 2011 to get one. Is it just the in thing to have one, or are they really that good? I need some Insight!

2. gonepostaltwice

gonepostaltwice Member

3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I had a Timmy for about 6 months.

Didn't care for the overdrive but, it had the best 2-knob EQ I've ever heard in a pedal. So, basically, I was using it as a "cleanish boost".

In came the RC Booster and out went the Timmy. Never looked back. YMMV.

4. sector9

sector9 Member

Name the dozen pedals that do the same thing as a Tim/Timmy.

5. miteemike3

miteemike3 Member

Do you like the natural distortion of your amp? With your amp set clean, the Tim/Timmy will give you the natural distortion coming from your amp. Having your amp already set slightly dirty, the pedal will give you more of the same flavor. And yes, it's good... very good.

Almost forgot about the EQ- that was really the selling point of the pedal for me. Just about every OD pedal stacked into the tim sounds better.

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

The Timmy has this natural compression thing that just makes your clean tone sound better. I don't like it as an OD. It's best as a boost (especially after fuzz b/c it's completely neutral).

Once on, it's hard to turn it off. My favorite setting is with vol at noon and all other knobs at 9:00.

You don't have to get it but you should...

7. Richard P

Richard P Member

I'm one of those who "didn't get it." (Of course, I'm in Seattle.) I bought a Timmy, didn't find it interesting or distinctive, and returned it.

Since so many people love this pedal, I know it must serve a need. And there is no pedal that can be wonderful for everyone…

…except, of course, the Klon. I have a Stigtronics Tone Vitamin coming in the mail; I may never own a Klon, but at least I can try a Klone.

(Another great example for me: the EP Booster. It ruined my tone, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. But so many love it! As my father used to say: "It takes all kinds.")

8. Agreed

Agreed Member

'Cause it's a really good sounding overdrive that doesn't muck up what you've got going on too much. Won't be for everyone, all pedals are that way. Nothing's going to please everybody. Paul knows that and doesn't believe it's the right pedal for every situation either. He'll tell you so himself if you call and ask. Not the sort to spend an overly long period of time trying to talk you out of a purchase, but he'll give you the skinny on what he made it for, how it came to be, what it does and doesn't do for you.

Hype is a four letter word ;) This pedal's been around for fourteen years now. It's earned its place by merit in the pantheon of great sounding pedals. Plus, no down payment, just fire and forget. You'll get a phone call one day letting you know it's your turn. No guns to heads or anything like that going on, Paul's a nice guy with a solid product that's found persistent favor. Staying power in an environment where tastes can rise and fall like the tide is a fairly precious commodity, if your pedal can last for more than a year or two in the eyes of TGP-goers it's probably a pretty fine pedal, his has been going strong for more than a decade.

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

10. JohanSolo

JohanSolo Member

This is exactly my experience.
    i find the overdrive "brittle" (well compared to my suhr shiba drive)
    but the eq and the clean boost( ie "more" of your amp tone) is good

11. sector9

sector9 Member

12. thedroid

thedroid Member

I found that it EQ's the guitar just right for a band mix and is good for adding a little gain, but not a lot. Also running a fuzz into it sounds like a fuzz into a cranked amp, even when your amp is set clean.

When you're playing by yourself it can be underwhelming, and it's definitely better with some amps than others.

13. JohanSolo

JohanSolo Member

heres a demo i made of timmy boosting a jet city

14. Ekluksdahl

Ekluksdahl Member

I had a Timmy for about 2 months... Didn't care for it...

15. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Funny how we get all jonesy about our amps, then get an OD that changes the tone.
    I like my amp tone and often dont want it changed. I would just like to bump the gain here and there. That's what a Timmy does. Its like having access to your amps gain knob right at your feet. It does not change the way your amp tone sounds at all.

Of course, many OD's have really great sounds and sometimes you want a mid boost or whatever. For those, the Timmy won't do much for you.
    I say every board needs about 4 OD's. A Timmy and 3 others of your liking.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's hard to argue with a pedal that's a bit unusual circuit-wise and really well-built by a nice guy for a price that's very fair...

17. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy has been the only constant on my board since '05.

If you're looking for a lush smooth sustaining overdrive it is not the pedal.

If you're looking for a mid-range rich pedal to thicken up the tone of your Black Face Fender it is not the pedal.

If you're looking for a heavy crunch sound or a fat distortion tone it is not the pedal.

If however you're looking for an open, clean sounding pedal that can go from a flat, clean boost to a very open sounding low-mid gain overdrive will not mess with your core amp tone, especially those amps with a full mid range content such as Voxes, Marshalls and Tweed Fenders then it is the best I've found and I've tried A LOT of other options.

The Timmy EQ is absolutely brilliant as others have said as is the ability to really fine tune for your rig with easy clipping option switching and even opamp swapping.

I think Greg V's vid probably demonstrates the Timmy the best.

In a live context here's some crappy Western Australian Alt-Country/Americana band with a balding lead guitarist using one with a Vox and a Tele. The Timmy is kicked on on top of the straight amp sound (which isn't as loud as I'd like!) @ about 1:45 and stays on for the rest of the song. A Klon is added for the solo. It's only a camera mic so not that hi fi I'm afraid but I think you can still hear how the Timmy doesn't in essence mess with the Guitar/Amp tone very much at all -just takes it up a notch really.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  18. Nork

Nork Member

i said the same thing when i started really getting into gear. i heard about this thing from a buddy of mine years back. when i started snooping around on here, i was wondering the same thing.

then i got the Dano CTOV1. And i loved it. so much so, i found, waited on a good price for a new Timmy.

And then I went on the list for another one (because the direct from Paul price is much better than the dealer i got it from).

everything said above is true. it's great. i haven't really found a sound i don't like with it yet. and it's been around for a loooonnngggg time. and paul's a standup guy. and it's a great pedal..

blah blah blah, lol. they're not necessarily for everyone, but a lot of people like'em.

19. tatoi

tatoi Member

- Very natural sounding overdrive
    - Really nice cut-style EQ which makes the pedal extremely versatile
    - Reasonable price(wasn't the Timmy around $120 new?)
    - Great build quality
    - Paul C's awesome customer service

I think that's about enough to justify the hype?
    Used to own one, sold it, but would love to have another.

20. helio

helio Member

Add me to the "Timmy wasn't for me" list. For me, that EQ was too tweakable. Slight changes with that, and/or the gain... and the feel of the pedal shifted dramatically. Had a hard time dialing in the sound I wanted, and found too many spots on the dial that weren't for me. Then toss in the three-way toggle, and it was all too much for my tiny brain to handle.