Tell me about two rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by small axe, May 23, 2015.

1. small axe

small axe Member

hi there all,
    I m looking at a new head when I looked into two rock. They r pricey it seems. The model I m looking at is the studio plus at 33w if I'm right with 6l6s. Can any one tell me more about the amp experience etc and if it's worth the money. Thanks

2. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Its hard to know if something is "worth the money" to an anonymous stranger, so to get an idea of where you are coming from how much would/did you spend for you best guitar?

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've owned several first generation TRs. Have no idea about their amps since PBG bought them.
    They are pricey amps and it's best to get them used.
    I have only good things to say about their amps that I've owned.
    Whether they are for you , or worth it , is a personal thing you'll need to sort out for yourself.

4. the iconoclast

the iconoclast Member

Definitely buy used. Try before you buy if possible. I've liked the ones I've had, and down to two from four. The Custom Reverb v.2 was the first, and still have that one. I love that one and will hang on to it indefinitely. Had the Emerald Pro, the Studio Pro 35, and trying to unload a Jet 35. The Jet was one I bought impulsively brand new, and three years later cannot get rid of it for half of what I paid for it.

Became a Matchless owner this year, and kick myself hard for not becoming one sooner. I love dealing with Phil and his group there. They have been willing to deal direct rather than making me go through a dealer. I recently had a HC 30 converted to channel switching. I emailed Phil about it, he replied sure send it in we'll do it no problem. I needed a new C30 faceplate. He engraved a new one for me and shipped it no hassles. I've had other Matchless support questions and requests. Phil always answers/takes care of business promptly.

PBG Two Rock, I wanted a head shell for my Jet 35. They tell me, go thru your dealer, we can't help you. And, there are other support issues with PBG Two Rock. I wont get into all of them. But, I wont be buying anymore Two Rocks. If I didn't like my Custom Reverb v.2 so well, it would be up for sale too.

The Matchless experience has been much better.

5. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Not doubting your TR experience, but I have another perspective.

I have communicated with Chad @ TR before and after PBG - nothing but praise. I currently have a older Sig amp back at TR for (hopefully) a minor repair. To my pleasant surprise, Chad related that he does not charge for repairs/bench fees. The only cost would be shipping and any parts that may be needed.

As a TR owner with either a new or pre owned amp, this is a very good thing and a great piece of mind.

6. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I'll second the awesomeness of chad at TR. Questions and more questions, and very quick response times and a lot of good info. Even talked to him a time or two.

For $300 they'll retube it, go through it, and provide a 3 years warranty. Haven't done it yet, but it's great to know that I could!

As far as tone, my Studio Pro 22 combo is a BEAST and is EXTREMELY portable.

FWIW, I think you can't go wrong!!

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

My dealings with TR have been great also. As could be said of any amp/brand, it might or might not be the best fit for you. Quality and customer service should not be a factor in your assessment of TR though- both are excellent.