Tell me about your Carvin CT3s, CT3Ms, or CT6s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sosomething, Dec 9, 2005.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

The other guitarist in my band recently got the Carvin CT3M he ordered (didn't wait too long, either) and I'm really, really impressed with it.

Now I am seriously thinking about ordering one for myself. I was originally planning on picking up a PRS CE, but after playing his Carvin I realized that I could have a guitar every bit as nice custom made for me for several hundred dollars less.

Anybody here who has owned one? What are your likes / dislikes about it?

Input would be appreciated I've never owned a Carvin - I love my other guitarist's CT3M, but are they all really nice or was he lucky?

2. Antero

Antero Member

All the CTs I've seen are really nice. (I'm a Carvin user because I live near the store and got fed up with looking for a good guitar in all the crap at guitar center). I'm not so wild about the neckthroughs, 'cause humbuckers on a neckthrough sound blah to me, but the Bolts and the CTs are great. My main guitar is a DC135 - I play mostly on the neck or middle single coil, because as I mentioned I don't like the neckthrough-with-humbucker sound, and it plays fast enough that it actually makes me suck less. :)

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

I've recently(2 months ago) received my first Carvin, a CT6 with a Floyd Rose trem. It's my #1. My options were, the ebony board, abalone block inlay, quilted maple top, deep tigers eye finish with a cherry burst edge, the classic humbuckers, gold hardware, stainless steel jumbo frets, and the Floyd Rose with locking nut and strap lock system. Well first off I've owned too many guitars over the last 5 years, some being some $3000+ Les Paul Historics among others. After a while I decided to try the Carvin CT6 since I could order the options I wanted in a guitar. Well when I received the guitar after a 2 month wait I couldn't have been happier. Outta the case it was in perfect tune and was setup just like it should be. The over all build quality blew my mind. It was flawless! It's lighter than any light weight LP I've owned, and the unplugged tone is spectacular. Plugged in it just got better! I secretly call it my Les Paul killer! And I have always been a LP man, and still own one. But I can't put this Carvin guitar down. It plays like a dream, and sounds so sweet. And out the door I paid $1700, which is sweet considering it's better than some guitar I've owned that cost twice as much! I am not biased here either, this is my first Carvin, and after 2 months of playing teh crap out of it I am still very much in love! LOL! Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

-Peace
    -Nate

4. ratkent

ratkent Member

I too am a LP guy and I needed a guitar with a Floyd so I ordered a CT4. I really like it, especially since swapping pickups to Seymour Duncans. I gave the Carvin C22 pickups a chance for about four months but I could not get used to them. They didn't sound "bad" but they had a high, mid peak that I could not dial out. Now that I have a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck the tone is much smoother while remaining punchy and articulate. In other words, it is now close enough in tone to my Les Pauls that I don't have to change any settings on my rig when switching guitars.

It's also a great feeling guitar. The playablity is excellent, but I just mean the over-all vibe of the guitar is nice when you get your hands on it. It never had that stiff, new guitar feel some instruments seem to have.

The look of the guitar is superb as well. The gold top has a warm, 3-D quality that really accentuates the carved top. Looks great under stage lighting.

I had never even touched a Carvin before this one but I would have to recommend them based on my experience with this guitar.

Before PU swap:
    [​IMG]
    After PU swap:
    [​IMG]

5. SFW

SFW Member

Damn, that is one sexy looking guitar!

6. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I ordered a blue CT4 over 3 months ago ... should have it any day now. I'll post pics when it arrives ... here's a picture of one like it without fret markers (I ordered it with rosewood, not ebony board)...

[​IMG]

My Bolt ...

[​IMG]

HT

7. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I currently have 2 CT6's. I had 3, and sold 1 to get something with a different vibe, as well as to not have a Floyd Rose based guitar. IMHO, they are top of the heap in their price range for a mass produced guitar. I love my PRS SC, but my Carvin's are still my #1 and #2 guitars.:BEER :BEER

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

Damn! Now that is just f'in jawdropping dude! What a nice color and Carvin does have some great maple don't they?

Although I gravitate to my Les Paul type guitars for the most part, I have been a Carvin player since I found a DC127 in a pawn shop in Miami in 1992. It has a tung oil neck and Wilkinson trem with Sperzel tuners. Other than that, nothing fancy by Carvin standards. It's black with the standard electronics package. Playabliltiy wise... I can do anything I can dream up on that thing. Tone wise... it has a tone all it's own in full humbucking mode and I mean that in a good way. I really like the humbucking on neck through design personally. But when I split the neck pickup and and go to that for a Stratlike tone, it sounds BETTER than my other guitarist's Fender. I'm not kindin' ya! He'll even tell you that.

That has been the only Carvin I ever owned until early this year when I got a CT6 on eBay for grand. Here it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was floored by the tone, vibe, playablity, finish... the whole 9. The only thing I didn't like about it was the coil tap on the tone knob tapped both pickups. So I couldn't easily go from a bridge humbucker to a neck single coil tone just buy flipping the pickup sellector. I had to make two moves to get there. And with my playing style that just doesn't work. I could have modded the electronics to get what I want, but I turned the guitar back around on eBay to fund something else. I swore when I did that though that I WILL have one of those again someday. Just an outstanding value all the way around.

9. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

I have owned several Carvins over the years & found they weren't my cup of tea, mostly because of the junky electronics, the weird neck carve and I didn't like the way the necks resonated - I think it was that dual graphite rod reinforcement Carvin uses.

But hey, if they make you happy, go for it! :BEER

10. dto

dto Member

I too have a CT3M, and I love it.

[​IMG]

11. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I just got a CT4 (they surprised me with a really nice piece of flame for the top) ... great guitar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HT (not bad for under a grand, eh ?) :) :)

12. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, each to his own for sure. All the things you don't like about them, I do! Go figure!!! :p

13. Occam

Occam Member

I'd personally be more likely to buy a Carvin if they came with more options pickup wise but then again none of the guitars I own have their stock pickups in them anymore. Another thing is that all of the Carvin's I've played have had fairly small to super small necks and I like baseball bat necks.

14. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

You're not alone .... Carvin changed their neck carve in 2005 - its about like a Gibson '60's slim taper now ... not the '59 louisville slugger, but much bigger than their previous D-shaped shredder neck...

HT

15. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

One of my CT's doesn't have them, and it just classes it up IMHO. Very nice!