• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tell me about your experience trying a new a Epi or Gibson in 2020.

jrockbridge

I was checking out the 2020 line of Epiphone and Gibson guitars online and I was surprised to find that the new models of both seem to mirror each other in terms of features. And I’ve been reading some positive reviews of both lines.

Specifically, I’ll be looking at LP’s. And, I think I may want one that’s weight relieved. But, I’ll probably try a few non weight relieved LP’s as well just to compare.

What do you think of the new Epiphone and/or Gibson 2020 guitars that you’ve played?

shupe13

I checked out the new Epi LP Custom last week at Sam Ash. I thought it was a beautiful guitar. It played great and sounded very good. I didn't see any outright flaws, but again I didn't spend a ton of time with it. If I had the dough I would have bought it.

Lonnie00

I've owned a couple of very recent MIC Epi Les Paul Traditional PRO II and III guitars and both were very good guitars. The best Epis ever IMO.

Jabby92

As always, you might have to 'run the racks' to find the ideal one. I find most 2019/2020 Gibsons to be heavier than previous years since they stopped doing weight relief methods. Look for one in the 9-9.5 pound range and I think you'll be in good shape. They are well made though and sound great and play great. To be honest I haven't really played a 'bad' Gibson so far, even from so called 'bad' years. I think each guitar is gonna be unique, so its best to just try a few if you can. Also some online dealers sort of hand select or hand pick some really nice ones, check out Wildwood for example.. they have many great USA and custom shop LPs.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
If you’re looking for a Gibson Les Paul with a big neck, without having to pay for a historic, the Standard 50’s for $2500 has a big, round neck but as usual with Gibson, some are bigger than others.

Calebz

I played a new epi LP standard the other day. Very nice guitar. If you're looking at Epiphone priced guitars, there's a million choices out there. But modern Epiphones really are putting a good effort toward being Kings of that price range.

If you are looking for a good Epi, the new ones are great. If you are looking for a Epi to be a Gibson, these fall short of that.
THIS!

At the end of the day this IS an Epiphone (not that there's anything wrong with them.) Have they improved some of the features? - yes. Is this a Gibson Les Paul just built in China?- no.

Only reason I bought this is because I've always wanted an ebony Custom. This ticks enough of the boxes for me.

ECF

9lbs. Solid mahogany.
Beautiful instrument. Can you describe the neck shape? I'm wondering if it's changed to a more rounder profile to match the Gibson's a bit more closely. I never liked how some of the Epi LP's had more of a D shaped neck.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
Be aware that “weight relieved” doesn’t necessarily equal lighter than non-weight relieved. Many of the “weight relieved” Gibsons that I’ve seen weigh just as much as the non-weight relieved. It appears as though they’re just using weight relief to get rid of heavier pieces of wood. If buying online, make sure you get the weight before making the purchase.

dazco

I'll take ^%$# for this, but in my experience the difference between a guitar like these new epis and classic vibes at this level and "the real thing" is pretty much hardware and/or pickups. I have no doubt with the same pickups and hardware as the gibson that custom will hang easily. Same with the 50s TV yellow P90 special. I compared it to the real thing and i would be that if you blindfold most players and put the same pups and tailpiece on the epi it would be VERY revealing. Pretty much every budget strat or tele i have had is transformed with hardware and/or pickups to where they hang with pretty much anything with the same woods and design. I had a killer USA Jr special (not the cheap stuff) i foolishly sold and plan on getting the TV yellow epi when they arrive and i bet it will likely hand with my ex Jr/S. If not i'm sure with some upgrades it will. Only the laurel board might be the achille's heel but probably not gonna make much diff. In any case, the custom is total gibson wood types as are the standards. I'd take either and mod them over a gibson at 3-4 times the price. Theres no magic here....wood is wood and parts is parts and none of them are made from gold. You can only do so much to make them killer, and cheaper guitars are generally held back, likely on purpose, by a part or 3. Bridge....pickup, etc.

RDerek59

Epi Les Paul Jr with a single P90 I think they’re bringing it back? Can someone confirm this?

monty

THIS!

At the end of the day this IS an Epiphone (not that there's anything wrong with them.) Have they improved some of the features? - yes. Is this a Gibson Les Paul just built in China?- no.

Only reason I bought this is because I've always wanted an ebony Custom. This ticks enough of the boxes for me.
Cant blame you- that thing is sexy as hell!

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Saw a new Epi LP at GC for $999. I guess I am officially old. Having a hard time wrapping my head around a $1000 MIC Epi. It seemed ok for the few minutes I played it. After a set up it might be awesome.

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Subscribed. I'll be in the market soon and am interested in both the Epi and Gibson versions of the SG Special in Pelham Blue.

Both look great. I'm wondering about neck profile and the dreaded SG nose dive on both. The Gibby looks like a descent value, actually, and the Epi under 400 clams. :)

Trending Topics