Tell Me About Your Experience with Eastwood Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by indytone, Dec 8, 2005.

1. indytone

indytone Member

I've been checking out the Eastwoods on http://www.myrareguitars.com/Eastwood.html for a while now and am extremely curious about the quality, playability, and sound of these throwback guitars. They look great, but there isn't a dealer that I know of in Indianapolis.

So, if you're played one, please let me know what you thought of it. There is a dealer in Louisville, which isn't too far (only about an hour 30 or so).

The Saturn 63 looks amazing.

2. TNO

TNO Member

I have one of their Supro Coronado reissues. It's very well made, light and resonant. The pickups were junk but a set of GFS Dream 90s fixed that. I can't help but think they are a little pricey for a Korean axe but the instrument is flawless so who am I to complain? I bought it direct from Eastwood and their service is first rate.

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

I had one of their Brian May clones for a while. Entirely decent guitar for the money. Seemed very well made. Nice sounding, versatile. I never quite got used to the body shape in the long run, but a cool guitar for sure. Mine came with no bar for the tremolo, and they were unable to find one for me (and none of the usual Fender bars fit), but everything went smoothly otherwise.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Mike's a great guy to work with.

I really dig funky guitars, and I had a jones for a Mosrite-alike, so I picked up a Sidejack. I really wanted the Tokai Hummingbird, but didn't think I wanted to spend six bills on it...I intended this to be a beater.

I got a demo SJ for $309. I liked it pretty well. Pickups weren't great, but not horrible. Played pretty well, looked really nice, felt really nice. My main issue was the Bigsbyoid was terrible about maintaining tuning. (No real surprise there.)

Right after I received the SJ, Mike came back from doing a guitar show, and had a bunch of demos .... including a Hummingbird for around 1/3 off list. I asked if I could return the SJ & get the Tokai. Mike was totally cool with that.

The Tokai is a much nicer instrument. The pickups are far more articulate, very clean for a P90 type, almost heading towards Jazzmaster territory.(Yes, I know JM pickups aren't P90s.) I love the looks of the thing -- and, let's be honest, part of the appeal of the funky guitars is that they LOOK funky. The trem is very stiff, but also stable. My only problem wth the guitar is that it has a massive headstock, which means that the heavy maple neck & head completely throw the guitar, with its remarkably light ash body, off balance. That the strap nut is in kind of a weird place compounds the issue, but it's just not the most comfy guitar I've ever played. I've actually considered either putting a new neck on it or seeing if I can convince someone to give the headstock a bit of a shave.

5. indytone

indytone Member

6. Antero

Antero Member

If it sounds anything like it looks, I think I need one.

7. axpro

axpro Member

My experience was a little less tha satisfying...

Had one in the shop for a customer, he needed it for a gig in 3 days and wanted it to play as good as his other guitars (Gibson les pauls, etc...) I started on it, but the neck was not adjusting well (really had to reef on the truss..to install 10's?!?!?) the nut was cut wrong, and needed to be replaced, and there were high, popped frets in about 3 spots on the neck. I did what i could (he only wanted to pay for a setup) and got it playing as good as possible. He was pretty upset because it played kinda like a crappy import guitar... which it is. I've since had one or two other eastwoods into the shop, and they usually have a fret problem... just like a lot of guitars... They are really cool, and if you want that vintage vibe, go for it. But if you can't play the guitar you are picking up, then you're rolling the dice as far as neck problems.

Dave Mc

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I'd be afraid to even go into a shop that sold them. "so, are you gunna buy the guitar - punk?"

9. TNO

TNO Member

Crazyquilt- If you swapped the cast tuners for some klusons, maybe even plastic knobs klusons, it would balance a lot better.

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Hey...there's a thought. Thanks, TNO.

11. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I just bought an Eastwood Sidejack in gold. At a little over $300 new it is a wonderful guitar. As far as setup issues, the only real problem was that the nut was way too high. But other than that, she plays well, and after installing a set of .011's, stays in tune even when using the whammy. I had planned to immediately swap the pickups(2 P90's), but they sound pretty good. The pots and cap were cheap, but after swapping them out it's in good shape.
    In the early '70's I used to own a Univox Mosrite copy and always kind of wanted another. I found out about the Eastwoods and when this one came up for sale I went for it.
    Gold sparkle finish, 2 P90's, a (licensed) Bigsby whammy...what's not to like!