Tell me about your favourite ported 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beej, Mar 6, 2008.

1. beej

beej Supporting Member

I've got got a few cabs at home (OB 2x12, CB 2x12, 4x12) that I use with my Guytron and had been pretty happy ... *until* I picked up the ported Badger 1x12 cab ... it's changed my thinking completely.

I love the "thump" of a sealed cab, but I've always hated how directional they were. I have to be in the right spot to really hear it well. I love the dispersion of an OB cab, but it just doesn't project enough. (Opposite problem on stage ... I can't be heard but I think I'm too loud.)

The Badger cab has been eye-opening. Huge sound, very portable, great dispersion. So now I'm thinking it's time to replace my 2x12s (I do like something with more power handling/physically larger for bigger gigs) with something ported.

I'm seriously considering the Port City 2x12, by all accounts it will sound big and not be beamy. And I'm not even going to touch speaker choice yet.

Would love to hear opinions from anyone else who's been down the same road. Thanks!

2. Variable

Variable Member

I've been using an EarCandy BuzzBomb ported 2x12 with my GT100 for the past year, and I love the crap out of it. I had mine built with maple sides, mahogany front and back and Eminence Swamp Thangs. It's a very dynamic cab, though the sound is more on the modern side due to the Swamp Thangs. Compared to the GFlex I was running, it's like night and day. I highly recommend it. It only sounds better the louder you turn it up.

3. studiojig

studiojig Member

Anyone else? I'd like to hear more about ported 2x12's myself. I've currently got a Mesa std 4x12 which is great, but much more than I need anymore. Not to mention the weight & heft of lugging it around.

4. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

How do you like your Suhr badger amp. I am sooooo close to pulling the trigger. I will also order the Badger 1x12. Do they work well together? I just hope I can get enough gain out of it, that's my only worry.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I can't help, as I am just learning about these myself, but I hope you get some more answers, very interesting thread!

6. phatster

phatster Member

I got the PC 2-12 OS and it rocks!! I'm useing Red Fangs and it sings.Not too focused,very warm yet articulate.The porting system really adds a fullness...I'm sold on it w/o reservations!!

7. beej

beej Supporting Member

Thanks man- much appreciated. Did you try the Guytron cabs at all? Just wondered for comparison's sake.

8. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

It does really help to know which 2 speakers you are going to use first. I knew I was going with vintage 30watt blackbacks so when Jenkins built my 2x12 he narrowed the port down to 3" to accommodate that sound setup for 3D tones AND thump. Still haven't heard a better cab, not Z, 2rock, bog...I'm sure there are many nice ones out there though, but we did have the speaker discussion before the cab was built, which was 9 years ago, still killin' n grillin'

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This is where I get confused....doe he not make ported cabs anymore? I looked at Jenkins sound shop, cabinets, and see a highway 61, etc. and no mention of porting.

10. beej

beej Supporting Member

Yes, that's an excellent point. My only ported cab experience is with the Badger cab- Suhr modeled it for a v30 and it's very even, not like you'd expect if it were a v30 in a closed back cab.

So with small ports it obviously matters- you can tune the dimensions & frequencies to match the speaker. With something like the Port City, which has a huge port, would it matter? Or would it respond more like an open back cab?

I'm not sure what speakers I'd like to put in there. The CL80 and V30 in the closed Guytron cab are a great combination. I'd like that, just less directional. But I'm open to whatever works.

11. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

Jenkins may be still making cabs, I'm not sure. I remember talking with him first on the phone about what would be right and he customized it from there around the selected speakers. Certain speakers are tighter or loser and respond better in either a sealed or open back cab.

12. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've got a Port City 2X10 (same size as the standard 2X12) with Rajin Canjuns and beamy it is NOT. Sounds excellent - very full.

14. Headstock

Headstock Member

Bump for this older thread to see if there is more experience/ownership here...
    You end up with a new cab yet beej?

15. beej

beej Supporting Member

Hey- I'd forgotten about this thread.

Yep, I picked up a used Port City 2x12 (not the OS) with an older pair of broken in G12-65s in there. Excellent!

It's pretty much what I'd hoped for. The PC is small, light and very portable. Sound is big, and well dispersed. So I'm no longer using my CB cab and this thing fits the bill perfectly.

I'm still fond of my OB cab with the Guytron speakers (there is something nice about an OB cab), but most of the time I'm using the PC cab. It's excellent.

16. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    My Fave 2-12" cab since '79-'80 is/are 2 separate 1-12" EV design ported butt ugly truck-liner covered 13 ply loaded w/200 watt super-broken-in EVM12Ls -recently Doh-nutted (Thanks, Jay Mitchell)

My contention- 2 separate cabs rules over a 2-12" - same tone, way more options

17. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

This has been debated recently. I think it's the way I'm going to go, as you can even mix and match more speakers, get several 1x12s with different speakers at the right ohms, and you have a lot of tonal options. Plus you can tailor the size of your rig depending on what you need/space constraints.