Tell me about your Princeton with a 12 inch speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Did you see a noticeable improvement in bottom end or should I just get a Deluxe?

2. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Yes, but of course it depends on which speaker. Get a Weber 10F150T if you want a fuller louder sound without having to change the speaker baffle. It sounds like a 12 and better than many.

3. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Yes, save yourself the hassle and just get a Deluxe Reverb. You can get any speaker in the planet, but it's still a 12 watt amp. It would still sound smaller and boxy.

Unless, you're just playing at home. Then, yes it sounds like it has more bottom end. Mine even has a "mid" knob mod.

[​IMG]

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

In the end you will likely want the Deluxe if you are gigging. I tried a lot of speakers and things in the PR... some small gigs were heaven but others were terrible...

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I agree that the 12 doesn't bring the Princeton up to Deluxe level, but I am getting tones out of my Gries 12 (Princeton) that I was never able to get out of a Deluxe. The voicing seems different, as does the way the amp reacts to touch. The Deluxe was always a little too scooped and crisp. The Princeton is more wooden and seems to have a better feel for lower volume playing. It's a cool amp and you'll just have to see if it's enough for the places you'll be using it.

6. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I have had a DRRI and I have PRRI with a Celestion 12 inch speaker. To me its close in volume and sounds a little fuller than the DR. [​IMG]

7. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Gries 12 here with a Cel blue. Does fine in a band and gets past the drummer.

I even use a Bakelite with it to get me in the mix.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Me too. I also did a OT swap. I sold my Drri soon after I got my Prri because to me the Prri sounded better. I've got some really great recorded tone out of the Prri, and with the 12, it'll hang at band volume, if the drummer plays with restraint.

9. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I did an OT swap to and the cab is a pine cab from Mathers cabinets.

10. veendog

veendog Member

This is a very good option.
    Or get an extension speaker cabinet, with a 2x12 config, you'll be amazed.