Tell me about your RS wiring kit in your Tele...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KennethC, Dec 17, 2009.

1. KennethC

KennethC Member

1) Which RS wiring kit did you use for your tele? caps, pots, etc

2) Did it make a difference in your tele's tone, and, if so, what?

3) Would you do it all over again to your tele, and to your other teles?

I'm looking for something to help me liven up my tele, to give it more complex tones and added highs (and twang). I have a set of Fred Stuart Blackguards on the way, so I'm really hoping that will do the bulk of the improvement for me. I've heard some good things about the RS kit, so I just wanted to hear from you folks who have fixed one into your teles. THANKS!

2. Curly

Curly Member

I used the "modern" kit on a recent build.

I was probably wondering how much of a difference it really made until I went back and played one of my other teles.

Perhaps the most noticeable difference is the volume pot. You will start getting some volume at "3" instead of 6 or 7. Then the RS cap has a little different character to the orange drops I'm used to.

I liked it enough to pick up a vintage kit during their last sale.

3. bennintexas

bennintexas Member

the range of the pots, they are extremely sensitive which i love. the first swtich they sent me was messed up, but they promptly replaced it. currently, middle position has a slight volume drop, but perhaps it has something to do with my soldering, i dont know yet (rarely use middle)

4. PCR

PCR Member

Middle position usually do have a volume drop, unless you are wiring in series (instead of parallel).

I like the RS Vol Pots, and use them in all my guitars.

Between the Modern Caps and the Jensen Vintage Caps, I like the Vintage Caps. I have Jensen 0.047uf caps in all my strats.

I have a Sprague VitiminQ 0.033uf cap in my Tele.

If I had to do it again? I will probably stick with the RS Pots. I do like the Jensen caps, so if I didn't already have a PIO cap, I would buy the Jensens.