Tell me all about 2008 American Standard Strats

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Random Hero, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

The good and the bad. I'm eyeing one up in Olympic White right now.

2. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

And do the American Deluxes dominate them?

3. SGNick

SGNick Member

All the information you seek is given on fender.com and I'm sure you can find more opinions than you'll ever want by doing a search on the board, and Harmony Central reviews.

4. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

All good as far as I can tell. I used to have an '89 American Standard, and these new Am. Stds. are way better. Weights seem very consistent from one to the next. The necks feel great. Pickups are decent (although many will swap them for something else). The new 2-point tremolo using vintage bent saddles is also a great touch. Really, for a "standard" Strat combining the best modern and vinatge attributes I can't think of any obvious area for improvement. If my Custom Shop '60 Strat were ever stolen I would seriously consider pocketing half the insurance money and just going with one of the new Am. Stds.

5. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I really liked the trem better on the Dlx than the standard. In fact all of the Dlx features including that cool smooth neck joint seemed to be worth it to me.

GAD

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I just got done leaving a post on HC on this very topic....hmmmm very mysterious. I will give my .02 regarding the new standards. In a nutshell I love them. The modern 'c" neck is perfect, besides the soft "v" it's the best neck I've ever played. I love some of the new colors, mainly the Charcoal Frost Metallic, it's gorgeous. The quality control on the new 2008's seem to be much better than past offerings. I haven't played a single 2008 that was poorly set up, which can't be said for the past strats. Compared to the Am. Deluxes they offer slightly better "bang for the buck" and they come with a MUCH better case. I don't think I would pay the extra $250 for the deluxe unless you have to have noiseless pickups.

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I'm somewhat stuck between this and a Carvin Bolt... any ideas?

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Don't know anything about the Carvin but I don't think you can go wrong with the 2008 Am Standards. The Fender gets my vote!

9. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

the strats have
    gloss fretboard
    satin back neck
    thinner poly finish
    bent steel saddles
    skb stackable cases
    new color options
    and they sound amazing!
    from one to the other they are hands down better than the am dlx.
    and i know they are alnico pickups but i dont know what number.
    hopefully that helps, i say buy the olympic white with a maple board!!
    thats the one im gasing over

10. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

You've almost sold it to me with that post alone.

11. strat6866

strat6866 Member

The necks are great, the frets are great, very lightweight guitar, nice QC.
    Only negative for me is that the pickups are a bit dull. Not as glassy or as hot as most American Stds i own and have owned.
    Overall, pretty nice though.

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Okay, I'll give you the other side. I get to play all the new models that come in and really check them out. I've tried a bunch and just not crazy about them. I'm not crazy about the alder they're using lately, it seems to strip out very easily. I've read a few posts where people are complaining that the neck plate is sinking into the wood! wet wood?

I played a half o' dozen and compared with a Mexi standard and a relic strat, and the new ones overall had a pretty thin tone compared to the others. Super lightweight which to me is not good, because that's where that thinner tone comes from, so they put hotter pickups in it. But the other guitars were louder and fuller sounding even though the pickups were weaker. I couldn't feel a lot of deepness in the wood with the new models.

The trem is lightweight too, if you hold it in your hand compared to a steel block vintage.

Jet black dyed rosewood on all the ones I've seen. I do like the maple necks more, they look nicer and seem to have a little more fullness to the feel. I just didn't like the sound. I really wanted to get one of those charcoal ones, it looked cool.

Seriously, if you can't go CS, I'd fine a really nice MIM strat, I think they're better quality when you find a good one.

13. Gargloic

Gargloic Member

I have bought the new ash body sienna sunburst with maple fretboard and absolutely love it.:drool:drool:drool

The feel is great, the sound's right on with bell like sparkle to keep you awake all night long.

I use it with my Ceriatone tweed champ and a Boss CE2 chorus and a Electro Harmonix LPB1 and I can't think of anything to improve.

After the +/- 30%new/used drop in price(for any brands anyway), it will at least holds it's resale value forever. I don't think you could say that for a Carvin even if they are probably nice guitars.

Gargloic :RoCkIn

14. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

For me it's been a hit or miss, more miss than hit though. I've gone through two, so far. The first one sounded amazing acoustically and plugged in, however it had series intonation issues caused by the nut on the lower E being too high. Factory issue that I didn't want to deal with. Figured I'd just get another one. Then I got the other one and it just sounded dead. Now I'm expecting delivery of a third. Fingers crossed. Obviously, I really like them which is why I've been patiently awaiting the right one. But I really believe there is no consistancy with these guitars. You either get a good one or your don't. Overall I really like the upgrades and love the neck!

Good luck!

15. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have both - an 06 Am Dlx with rosewood board and an 08 Am Std with maple board.

Benefits of each IMO:

Am Dlx
    - contoured neck heel
    - noiseless pups (some don't like them, but they're great for recording)
    - nicer rosewood fretboards (Am Std's are dyed and Am Dlx's are not)

Am Std
    - much better case
    - traditional 5-way switching (I'm not a fan of S-1 switching)
    - more traditional styling (some like the 'flash' of MOP / abolone dots, but I personally don't)

Personally, I think the improvements to the Am Std most notably for me the glossed maple fingerboard went a long way towards bridging the gap between the two. Right now, I think the Am Std is a better buy.

Strats are funny though - I find I have to try several before picking one I like.

16. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Bump for a few more opinions.

17. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

"Strats are funny though - I find I have to try several before picking one I like."

I wholeheartedly agree. I usually play between 20-30 strats before I find one that I love. Right now I am looking for another strat and I've probably played at least 30 in the past 3 months. Some people say that any strat can be set up to be perfect but I disagree. If it doesn't play great in the store I won't buy it. I have a hard time understanding these guys that order a guitar, sight unseen or unplayed from MF or GC online. I can't do that!!

18. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I may go and play a few this weekend. Tomorrow infact!

19. sega

sega Member

I love mine, the neck is great, the tremolo bar is great too, the sound is really really good.

Specially if you run it into a Fender amp.
    Try a few, check the color, and if you plug one into a amp, you will surely buy it...so beware. ha ha ha:Devil