Tell me all about Skreddy fuzz pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dom7#5#9, Jun 6, 2018.

1. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

...I've just stumbled upon his website. I can hear y'all now..."Where you been? Dark side of the moon?" Why yes, yes I have. Anyway, I'm starting to suspect I'm going to need "fuzz rehab." But first, I might need to hear the Lunar Module (looks AWESOME) and the BC 109 and the DME and the... who knows how much trouble I can get in. plus, the website is hilarious ("okay, it's the "Time" solo). Thanks!

pickaguitar likes this.
  2. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Member

Where you been, dude?! The dark side of the moon or something?! Come on!!
    They're wicked cool pedals. I'm a big fan of the Mayo and Zero circuits. Have had some of the others, but found them too loose for my liking. Mayo and Zero have fairly immediate attack, which I love.
    Also check out his Echo, which is most excellent.

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I love skreddy fuzz. Screwdriver, hybrid fuzz driver and lunar module are all fantastic. The Rover is a standout. And of course if you like muffs he makes several. All great.

4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Loooove my lunar module mini deluxe! It's a killer fuzz pedal, and definitely a must if you're into Pink Floyd, the best thing about it, is that you can also get a lot of other usable and different tones out of it. So it's definitely not a one trick pony. Super recommended!

Here's mine! :)

[​IMG]

5. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

Thanks for inputs! So, here's my deal (for now)...I'm stuck in HB and P-90 land until I get enough scratch together for SC guitar (most likely a tele-type, I don't "bond" with strats, love hearing other people playing them, maybe I just haven't played the right one yet). Have you tried the LM w/ HB's (I'm sure it still sounds good)? There's an LM mini deluxe sitting on Reverb right now, $170 total, looks near mint. I should just grab it :banana. I have a Chase Tone RV fuzz on the way, too. I'm telling ya, rehab, 12 step fuzz program coming soon... First, acknowledge one has a problem (fuzz). Second, ...well ya catch my drift!

This is what I was afraid of!

Check out this demo (It's not the LM, but sounds great):

6. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I have an HSS strat, so yes I'll say it plays really nice with humbuckers too! :)

I like this video, specially the intro, sounds super nice, at the end he uses humbuckers too:

7. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

^ Thanks! Looks like it's a good idea to bring the "body" back when you crank the fuzz up with HBs (makes sense! It's a bass cut!). I like that he seems to get that "starved voltage/tweaked bias" tone at ~7:50 of the video.

LordByron and hippieboy like this.
  8. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I don’t think I’ve ever played an od or fuzz I couldn’t make work equally well regardless of pickups. Especially skreddys. Yeah hb’s sound different than sc. But I get sounds out of both that I dig and can happily play all night

That said I’ve been a pretty steadfast hb man 80% of the time for the last several years. I can’t decide if it has anything to do with the pickups or if that’s just what happens to be on my favorite guitars right now. I have some sc’s that I love too.

Haiku36 and dom7#5#9 like this.
  9. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Member

The Lunar Module is amazing!! Totally blew me away. It can do everything from treble boost to crazy and despite the fact that it’s silicon it really blurs the lines between si and ge.

10. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

@sstweed - ya, I hear ya on the pickups. It's not that they don't work, just sometimes they don't have a nice tapering "sweep" on your guitar volume knob.

I can't believe this guy's LM has been sitting on Reverb for 4 MONTHS...maybe he had it at $190 (original listing price) until yesterday? Or he created 90% of the listing a long time ago, but then just posted last week. Even so, new it's $225 + ship, so $190 total isn't a terrible price. Anyway, commencing firing the missiles.... :dude

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I’m not really a fuzz guy, but the HFD is one of my favorite drive pedals in years. I’ve had a couple of LMMD’s, and they’re outstanding, but most of the range is too heavy for my tastes, so I get more use out of the HFD and previously the Screw Driver.

Haiku36, blue62, Snottyboy and 2 others like this.
  12. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

Do you feel like it does the Beano boost thing - that Iommi/Rangemaster sound?

13. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

i wouldnt say its totally a beano treble boost, but yes it can provide an approximation of one.

here's the deal. the lunar module mini deluxe is the best fuzz pedal ive ever had. ive had quite a few fuzzes. it even cleans up pretty well for a silicon fuzz (which dont get as clean as Ge) ; it does Si Fuzz Face, it does creamy sustain, can be a distortion, can be a dirty OD / TB

its a desert island pedal. definitely worth your time to get one.

Marc (Skreddy) became famous on here, Harmony Central and other places for his great ear for making vintage sounding Muffs. Some of his discontinued muffs go for high dollars for good reason. However if the Lunar Module calls your name, you must reach out to it man!

14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

..... ditto the mayo, zero, ROVER, screwdriver deluxe, etc etc etc!

15. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

Got ya - If it did, I would be totally blown away - like how did he pull that off? Love the Beano sound, but mine has SO MUCH boost, so it's often hard to incorporate when 5 other things are all working well together. By itself into the somewhat cranked normal channel of an AC15HW - forget it, unbelievable if you're looking to blast out "Supernaut" or just an aggressive, searing tone that distinct from just about anything else (OD, fuzz, etc). It has it's own thing.

I totally did, this morning! I'm back east in NE, the seller is in OR, so hopefully he ships by tomorrow (I'd take today, but that's unlikely)!

Yeah, it seems crazy, but I'm relatively new to the gear game (like 2.5 yrs). So, I missed that whole period of time. I was dimly aware of the Skreddy name and heard of the lunar module, but with so much stuff out there, I just hadn't taken the time to fully check out his website and threads on his stuff. Once I did, I was like, "Holy s#*t! I gotta try like 5 of these (at least)." On the muffs, I have the Thorpy (even the drummer thinks it sounds good, lol, and he's always like, "All that stuff you guys obsess about? Yeah, I can't even hear it :spit) which I like quite a bit. I found a "Zero" listing for $300!

16. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Member

I’d say an approximation, but it’s it’s own thing really. It really stunned me when I plugged it in for the first time. There’s a preset sheet on the Skreddy page with some recommend settings, including rangemaster style boost.

Haiku36 and dom7#5#9 like this.
  17. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

^ thanks. I'm viewing it now.

18. dom7#5#9

dom7#5#9 Member

That LMS phaser sounds great, too. Damn.

Purple_Plexi and hippieboy like this.
  19. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

I have the HFD and the Screwdriver. Everything that you read about them is spot on. One of the very few instances where boutique gives you a little something extra, IMO.

20. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

Great pedals. I owned the Mayo and it was my favorite fuzz ever. Needed the money so sold it but wish I could have an other.