Tell me all about Skreddy fuzz pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dom7#5#9, Jun 6, 2018.

1. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

hey!
    thanks, i dig your Skreddy page. i’ve got one criticism, though:
    since you love & respect Marc’s work so much, maybe spell his last name correctly?
    Marc Ahlfs.
    thanks!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

AC/DC tones are literally cranked Marshalls. So any of my amp-like pedals will do. There is an AC/DC setting in my Lunar Module https://skreddypedals.com/manuals/LunarDlxSettings.pdf but the Hybrid Overdrive can get you there too.

Jess 1971, sanfi4u and Peps like this.
  3. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I think the AC/DC thing was more to justify the name "Skreddy Balls" than a desire to have a pedal that sounds like AC/DC

Skreddy and Help!I'maRock! like this.
  4. jujube

jujube Member

Thank you for the link to the website.

5. Grubgoat

Grubgoat Member

Good catch, thank you

fred_ and splatt like this.
  6. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I’ve had a couple of Skreddy pedals over the years, all well built, but in the end none that we’re keepers. The Mayo I lusted after for years, but I just couldn’t bond with it no matter how much I used it / how long I kept it. The Screwdriver dlx, which was so highly praised by so many as a great fuzz-drive, didn’t really satisfy as a fuzz OR an overdrive. I’ve since picked up a bunch of BMP variants and clones from ARC, Blakemore, and SUF that I really like. I have been interested in the Skreddy modulation pedal’s for a while though, like the LMS and Swirl, an wouldn’t mind giving them a shot.

7. Skreddy

I have the Rubber Soul and the Hybrid Overdrive both on my board at the same time. The Soul has a wonderful chimey jangle (although not in any over-the-top, cartoonish way--still has a natural and versatile quality) that is tight and cuts but not very sustainy, where the HOD is great for a more open and sustaining sound (and yes airy). Stacked, they remind me of some live Gilmour tones, where the articulation is right up front and the tone is beautiful and crunchy and of course sustains but is never swamped out or over-powered by the effect.

monkmiles likes this.
  8. jujube

jujube Member

Always another great Skreddy pedal to try! I will be receiving a 1971 soon.

Whiskey N Beans likes this.
  9. Skreddy

The DME is not an amp emulator, it is an audio signal revitalizer (cleanly adds sparkle, articulation, and dynamics). The gain-emphasis controls on the DME are not "tone" controls, in that they do not subtract anything from the signal and do not impart any phase shifts to the signal and do not fight against one another. The Rubber Soul is essentially an amp-like overdrive, voiced like a Vox, with lots of clean available in the lower regions of the Drive control, lots of cleanish, hot jangly sounds in the mid region, and a smokier nature, slightly ragged rather than all-out fuzzy, in its higher, most aggressive regions. It has a more traditional amp-like tone stack, which creates losses and phase shifts like any normal tone stack. So I wouldn't really compare them as similar.

The compressor/limiter on the Rubber Soul is a clean (opto) circuit somewhat similar to other standalone opto compressors. The limiter on the Echo is not; it is a very, very subtle signal clipper that clips both the input and the output of the delay chip but only once it reaches very high peak levels.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    monkmiles likes this.
  10. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

A little clip with my lunar module, using an american deluxe hss into a vox ac15c1 with creambacks, I'm using the vol knob in 3 different levels.

I hope it's useful to someone!

11. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

*sigh* .... i need another LM. will be my fourth....

12. Skreddy

Nice! Also, you should hear it through a Hiwatt... :D

22Top and hippieboy like this.
  13. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

it's a great pedal! :)

now i need a new amp :p

Skreddy likes this.
  14. jujube

jujube Member

1971 is a lower gain Muff that is trying to emulate the very earliest lower gain big Muffs. So it is supposed to sound slightly closer to a distortion pedal. I will know in a few days....:aok

Yes. I agree that no pedal can fully emulate a particular amp but can give a good sound when plugged into another good amp that is also opened up a bit.

Whiskey N Beans likes this.
  15. Skreddy

The 1971 is so named because that was the first year the BMP officially came out, though it was in existence earlier than that. The idea behind the 1971 is that over the years I have heard of a few early BMPs that were lower gain than the typical examples, and this was my offering to those who might like a lower-gain/more amp-like iteration of the early triangle-knob style BMP. It's definitely not a Marshall in a box.

It will be affected by whatever amp you run it through, and if one's amp is already very strongly idiosyncratic and heavily voiced, then obviously that character will not be over-ruled by running an amp-in-a-box through it. But any amp with a decent amount of headroom and a neutral-enough set of tone controls should be able to serve as a platform for any amp-in-a-box style pedal with good results. The cleaner, the better, so that the voice of the pedal is dominant, of course.

But generally if one already likes the tone of their amp, they should find good use for the Rubber Soul--it's even great for stacking with other overdrives (adds articulation, cut, and gain); so it's not strictly limited to just trying to sound like a Vox amp, per se. It's a very well-behaved, chimey overdrive with a Voxy response, a versatile 2-band tone stack, and an opto compressor at the end. It is what it is. Maybe it would make your amp sound like a Vox, but even if not, you'll almost certainly like it a lot unless you're expecting it to do something it does not do.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    jujube likes this.
  16. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I must be a real Nowhere Man. My Rubber Soul didn't Drive My Car. I say, Run For Your Life!

17. Skreddy

E.g.; you're not going to sound like classic Beatles unless using an appropriate guitar like a Ricky, Gresch, or Epi hollowbody.

18. Class5

Class5 Member

I was under the impression that the Pink Flesh became the P19 (which should not be overlooked in the Skreddy pantheon of fuzzes).

19. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

I'd say, at least for me, the Lunar Module Mini Deluxe is the best all around overdrive/fuzz pedal I've ever owned from a strictly tone and versatility perspective. What a pedal! So many different ways to use it.

20. Class5

Class5 Member

Don't. I fried mine by accidentally plugging it into an 18v outlet.

tonedover likes this.