Tell me all about Trussart guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wingwalker, Feb 15, 2009.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I've been looking at a Trussart off and on for a while now...somebody push me over the edge.

Really, what can I expect from these guitars? Im not set on a model yet but the SteelTop and the Steelcaster are looking mighty cool but I have to be honest the SteelDeville can't be rulled out either!

2. pcutt

pcutt Member

Yes, I'm interested too, so add me to the list of the folks ready to be pushed over the edge!

3. Strat-O-Mechani

Strat-O-Mechani Member

I'd better join in this fun as well! I played a Steelcaster for the first time yesterday and can't seem to stop obsessing about it...

4. whitehall

whitehall Member

I think Paul makes some wonderful innovative guitars. IMO they also double as art. A Trussart should never be hidden in a case. It should always be on display on a stand. I met him at NAMM about 4-5 years ago. He had a Lefty LP shaped guitar there that I could have bought. Played really nice. It has gone up by 50% in price since then. Damm.

5. simon_62

simon_62 Member

I'm making a "tribute" to them soon...... possibly quite a few "tributes" ;)

6. skyblue

skyblue Member

7. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Who's Paul?

OP, I have a Trussart SteelDeville. Love it, and had a great experience buying it from SoundPure. The steel body is much warmer sounding than you would think, like a les paul with a little zing. They're very lively.

8. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

There are lots of folks here--starting with wesb14jr--who can tell you about all the Trussart models from long personal experience. I've played all but the Steelphonic and ended up with a coppertop Steeltop with antique roses. Trussarts are not just works of art in their own right; they have a remarkable ability to cut with the band. If you value woody sound, you could miss that, but they are astonishingly warm. Playability is excellent. I thought I'd come out of the sound test wanting a Steelcaster, but found that I liked the SteelDeville every bit as much as the Steeltop and went for the latter on pure aesthetics. As most posters will say, you should give 'em a listen before plunging in. But, likely as not, you will plunge in!

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I've got a question about the Steeltop. Does it sound like a regular Les Paul? If not, how is it different from one?

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Paul? It's James Trussart. Amazing guitars with incredible tone and stellar finishes.

11. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I guess the best way to describe the difference is that the Steeltop is punchier. It's got the grind of a Paul with a bit of the pop you get with a Tele. It's very nice clean but outstanding distorted. My guitars tend to get sorted into those I play at home and those I play with the band. The Steeltop falls into the latter camp.
    Hope that helps!

12. oscar100

oscar100 Member

i liked teh steel start i saw on anotyher thread!!

v cool indeed