Tell me everything...Carr Slant 6v

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hoss, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Hoss

Hoss Member

from the clips on the site and the description, (which i take with a grain of salt, although they are supposed to be straight guitar & amp..no efx) i think i've found the amp of my dreams...!?

anyone who's owned one or had experiences with one...tell me everything...the good and the bad and the ugly.

i plan to go try one out soon at Willcutt guitars in Lexington, that's the closest dealer to me (Louisville, KY) and i've always wanted to make a trek down there and check out all of their awesome gear anyways!

thanks in advance,
    mike

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

some of the best cleans I've had in an amp

gain channel only inspires when it was played LOUD (too loud for my guitar/guitar/bass/drums rock band)

this was a 2x12 from year 2001.....they've tweaked the gain channel since I had mine.

3. Hoss

Hoss Member

i'm probably looking more towards a 1x12 and am very curioius about the gain channel?

4. alguit

alguit Guest

I own a 2005 and am VERY happy with the gain channel. Mine is a 1x12, and for that configuration it is a surprisingly open sounding amp.

The clean channel, as has been noted in this thread, is among the best one will hear, and the reverb is beautifully voiced to it. It is such a detailed tone, so sweet, and when running the amp at half power in cathode biased with the mid control cranked on the clean channel, very credible tweed tones emanate! It has quite a bit of headroom, more than enough for every gig at which I've used it.

The lead channel really can capture the essence of a non-master volume Marshall. Like just about all tube amps, it DOES sound better the louder it is cranked, but I am getting some terrific tones at lower volume levels as well. Unless custom ordered, the reverb is not available on this channel, and I agree with Steve Carr that it is better without it (I kick in a little delay sometimes on this channel, and that is great-sounding stuff). The owner's manual comes with some suggested settings for single coil and humbuckers, and I was amazed at how much of a difference could be had from know twiddling-these are very responsive controls. There's a boost toggle switch which adds even more flexibility to this channel; seriously, it can go from a really nice clean tone to a high-gain one with ease.

Also, the amp can be run in half power in either cathode or fixed bias, and it does make a noticable difference.

Finally, the build quality is first rate. Solid pine cabinetry, Analysis Plus speaker cable, hospital-grade power cord, top of the line caps, easy to self bias...what's not to like?

It comes stock with a 60-watt speaker, voiced specially for Carr. I have to say that it benefitted IMMENSELY from some major breaking in; at first, using it on a gig the day after I bought it, that the amp sounded too stiff and a little boxy, but after a week of blasting away with it at home, I wouldn't even consider changing the speaker-it sound so good with both channels (I AM having a 1x12 closed-back cab made to run with it at gigs for just that little bit more "oomph," but I think I'm satisfying a psychological need moreso than an actual tonal one).

I'll end with this-I recently used it a gig with another electric guitarist and two acoustic players, and afterward the soundman said to me, "I pretty much turned off the other guitar players through the sound system because you had THE TONE, dude!"

Now, I hate being called, "dude," but it was nice hearing that about the tone...dude...;)

Have you checked out the clips on Carr's website? I rarely like clips on anyone's site-I've almost always found that in person, whether amps or pedals, I can go for what I want to hear. Still, the Carr clips are good enough to let you hear the range this amp possesses. Good luck, and let me know if you get one and what you think!

Alan

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

Alguit,

Does the Slant 6V fart out on low notes at high volume? Just wondering - I'm looking fo a great 1x12 combo to use with pedals, as well as have high headroom for clean, and doesn't fart out.

Just curious...

6. DanRoy

DanRoy Member

i saw one go down in the middle of a show, but I think it sounded pretty good while it was working. (I've never owned one, but they look pretty cool, and isn't that what counts in the end?)

7. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

8. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Ummmm...............no.

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

For me, they flub badly in the low end. Especially with Humbuckers. I preferred my HR Deville.

10. alguit

alguit Guest

My has never "farted out" on me, even with humbuckers. I don't know if it's because the HB's I use are not very hot output (Duncan Antiquities and Seth Lovers) and/or I lower the Bass control a bit with HB's, but I just do not have that problem.

In fact, one of the things that has impressed me about the amp is its rather focused low end...especially for a 6V6-powered combo. I don't mean Soldano "bright and tight" but a defined bass that cuts through a mix well.

That's just my experience, but it's rather substantial with this amp, both at recording and gigging levels.

I've also found that it takes pedals well, with only one exception-it didn't really "click" with my Fulltone '70 fuzz-it sounded fine, but the pedal definitely meshes better with other amps of mine, like the Budda Twinmaster Ten...but EVERYTHING goes well with that amp!

11. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Another very happy Slant 6V owner here!

Mine is a 1X15 and it most surely does not lose focus on bass notes except at ungodly volumes in the cathode bias setting with hot pickups. Like a lot of guys here I've gone through a great many amps for me the cleans on the 6V are truly spectacular, especially when the amp has some good tubes in it. NOS 6V6's are an absolute necessity (I use Marconi big bottles and RCA gray plates) as current production versions can't bring out everything the amp can deliver. The harmonic content is simply incredible with overtones ringing for days. Lots of headroom as well, even before you kick in all 4 6V6's. I'm a big fan of 6V6 cleans so my opinions are pretty colored I suppose. Also I personally prefer the 2X12 and 1X15 versions to the 1X12. Fatter. I like the OD channel OK as well but it's got a lot more gain on tap than I usually use and I rarely turn it past 10 o'clock. I prefer the clean channel with a TIM, Silver LTD or Zendrive.
    It's not a cheap amp, so do compare it befre you spring for one and for once, just once, I'll agree with Tag - start with a Fender HR. If you like it better, you saved youself a lot of dough. :rolleyes:

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

Thanks for the link to Michael Thompson - wow, he's got alot of gear in what looks like a home studio. He's a great session guy, for sure. His Strat sounds great with the Carr Slant 6V, and I liked the sound with that BB preamp pedal.

13. kendog

kendog Supporting Member

To my ears the Carr has really sweet top end but flubby low end.
    MT is a great player but it's hard to really know what his Carr really sounds like in those clips because there is so many effects going on. Maybe 1 day, he'll get a haircut :) Actually, I'm probably envious because I don't have much left in the hair dept.

14. oxtone

oxtone Member

Sounds like the flubby low end on the Slant may be related to pickups used. On a New Years Eve gig I played my Walnut "The STRAT" w/EMG SA's into a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. It sounded great with my Tonebone Classic and Keeley 808, but it farted out on low notes using clean. The amp volume was set on 3, and was loud.

I think the EMG's are just too high gain for a tight clean with the Fender amp. I'm bringing the amp back to the shop that loaned it to me, and will try a Slant 6- they are a dealer. I did try the Rambler the other day - really warm tone.

15. kendog

kendog Supporting Member

Flubby might not be the right word. But compared to many of the other amps of the same type that we have at Ultrasound, the low end is not as defined and harmonically complex. I have guys come in every week and most people make the same comments about the Slant 6V6. On the other hand, I have friends of mine that are great players that dig the Carr stuff.

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

In full power mode, my Slant 6V 2x12 was not flubby on the low end with P90s or HBs. In fact, I swapped out the 5AR4 rectifier for a 5V4 to get the amp to give it up on the clean channel at all.

17. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I put a Vintage 30 in mine and the flubbyness went away.

18. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I was thinking about getting one too, do you use any overdrive with the lead channel? I want to know more about what the gain structure is like. I played one and loved the cleans, I couldn't crank one up enough in the store to see if I bonded with the lead channel though.

19. JAH

JAH Member

Ok this is a bit long but you asked…. My band is roots, blues, and some twangin honkey tonk (think Pete Anderson). Mostly Strat’s and Tele’s with Vintage output style pickups. The 6V has been my regular gigging amp for over 4 years. The eye opener was when I plugged the Carr into a G12H30 Anni loaded extension cab. It made a huge difference(for my tastes). I now run the Carr as a head with a 2x12(sometimes 1x12) cab loaded with a G12H30 Anni and either a Tone Tubby hemp alnico or well pounded in Vintage 30. There is no low end flub . I believe that’s a result of the stock speaker in the somewhat small 1x12 combo format…its not in the "electronics" anyway. I’ve got a couple cabs loaded with different speakers which I choose based on the size of the of the room we are playing. My Carr is a below 100 Ser. #, reverb on the drive channel, and a great effects loop. I updated the overdrive to the second most recent circuit and it made a difference. The beauty of this amp is its adaptability. Most gigs I run it at the 18w or 22w setting which really lets the amp sing. Either setting sounds huge with a 2x12. The clean channel puts my ’66 Pro Reverb back in the closet and takes pedals really well(although you really don't need 'em). With the two separate preamp sections (one for the clean, one for the OD) you can do all sorts of things with different preamp tubes to optimize the two channels to your taste. I’ll run different combinations of 5751’s and 12AX7’s on the boost channel depending what I’m going for. Also with a bias adjustment you can run 6L6’s in the fixed bias position. I’ve had a set of GE 6L6’s in mine for over two years and 90% of the time I’ll just run it on those. I’ve also had this amp long enough to really be able to dial it in for specific situations and guitars. I don’t need any pedals with it and a few times when I forgot the channel switching/boost pedal I just played through the boost channel all night with the amp set to clean up when I rolled back on my volume knob. The amp has been rock solid with only 1 of the original EH 6V6’s taking a dump after 3 years of hard gigging. I have it loaded with all sorts of NOS tubes now and that bumped it even higher on the tone scale for me. Finally Steve Carr has been great to communicate with and is very supportive of his products. I posted a sample in the soundclip section of the amp in the overdrive channel recorded live at a club we were playing. Do a search and you can find it.

20. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

There's been a lot of praise here for the Slant 6v, so FWIW, let me offer another viewpoint. It most definitely is a well made amplifier, and Steve Carr is a great guy and very helpful. I owned one for about 6 months, did a month-long tour with a band with it, and wound up selling it. I just found the cleans a little sterile and uninspiring, to my ears. Now they are very clean, with exceptional headroom for a 1x12. I never experienced low end flubbiness, with single coils or HBs. I never bonded with the lead channel (though in fairness, I often don't bond with lead channels). I prefer clean sounds that aren't "too" clean, with just a touch of hair on it, and then prefer to goose it with my Centaur or a TS-808. I found the lead channel too loud to use at most gigs, and wish there were a little more low-gain territory in it.

All that said, it was a great amp, just not to my tastes. I prefer my BF deluxe (which, admittedly, doesn't have as much headroom). I also love my Juke 2x10 with 6L6s, which has the warmth and compression of a 6v6 amp to me for some reason. I did like the Carr Rambler, though I know longer have it. I'm also a big Dr. Z Z28 fan for the 6v6 sound, much warmer and organic to me (though no 'verb, and less clean headroom).

Long story even longer, I found the clean channel too clean, and the dirty channel too dirty, and I live in the inbetween area more.