Tell me everything you know about a Parker NiteFly..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omni, May 10, 2008.

1. omni

omni Member

I'm about ready to lay the cash down on one.. I am usually a Gibson Fender PRS feller. I played one a few weeks ago and freaked. So tell me what ya knows. Oh, I play heavy blues all the way to death metal. Please give me your honest opinion.:)

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I thought the Parkers had "no soul". Tried to like them. Couldn't. That's all I needed to know.

3. SimonR

SimonR Member

That's just what I was going to say. I owned a Nitefly for a few weeks (bought it on impulse because it was heavily discounted and I thought it would be cool). Sold it to a mate a few weeks later for what I paid.

Cheers,
    Simon

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I played one for years and it was really suited towards the harder stuff that I don't tend to play. It was very well made and I do miss how light it was. I did get tired of all of the questions about it.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I own over 40 guitars, mostly nice & "name" brand. All I actually play are 2 Parker Niteflys (both SSS). I have replaced the pups on both, which to me is key on these. One has 3 6K Lace Hot Golds. The other is a real mongrel but incredibly versatile- a Little 59 in the neck, a Bill Lawrence L200 Middle, and Lade 13K Hot Gold bridge.
    The Hot Gold one sings like a Strat but with more harmonic content & bottom. The mongrel can go from smooth to heavy stuff (Little 59) to country twang (bright & clear L200) to wailing blues (Hot Gold 13 K).
    These guitars play better than anything else I own- the necks are the perfect profile & size, they balance perfectly & the stainless steel frets are soooo smooth & very well done. Can't beat locking Sperzels and the trem (Parker design) is the smoothest I have ever felt. The piezo bridge can be useful and can be mixed to whatever degree with the mag pups.
    Some people hate the looks- I think they are very cool.
    I have played for 40 years and find my Niteflys to be anything but lifeless (with a complete pup change). These babys sing! The carbon fiber clad basswood neck is very strong yet uniquely resonant.
    There are a bunch of different models of Nitefly- do some research. I'm actually glad not everyone likes 'em- I like playing a guitar no one else in town is using- I always get asked about them.
    http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/default.asp

6. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I had a nitefly and found it to be dark and really boring guitar to play. It did not make you want to play it like a good guitar should. The only good thing was the acoustic piezo tone was good though.

7. omni

omni Member

The thing that amazed me the most when I played it was the weight and action. The frets were awesome also. The tone was a little different then what I am used to.Never the less it sounded great. I never bothered to pick one up in the past because of the looks.

8. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

I have lots of guitars and play my NiteFly more than any of them. Excellent playability, light weight, and the piezo pickups mixed with the magnetic pickups are a great sound, IMO far better than either used separately. The bridge pickup is one of the few that I would actually use, not harsh or brittle.

Great hardware - better in fact than most manufacturers put on their $2000-3000 guitars. Locking tuners, compound radius neck, stainless steel frets, piezo, and a very smooth trem.

Downsides - it's quite light, but not as light as a Fly, the upper horn can poke you in the chest when playing sitting down, and there are no fret markers on the fretboard itself, only on the side.

9. jaycee

jaycee Member

I used to work in the factory assembling them. The woods were swamp ash or mahogany. You either like the composite fretboard or you don't. I don't. The stock pickups were Dimarzio's wound for Parker and I never liked the sound of those either. If you have any specific questions I can try to answer them.

To be honest, I have no idea of what the factory is doing these days though.

Squatch57 likes this.
  10. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

Had two and sold both. No MOJO!

11. omni

omni Member

Well, I have only played the USA ones. I have no intention of buying one made overseas...I just wanted something different. I guess I'll skip it.

12. tj1004

tj1004 Member

dont let a few people's opinions sway your decision. If you like it, get it. I have a Fly Classic and love it to death. It sits right alongside a Les Paul, PRS, Explorer and an MIA Strat and it gets as much or more attention than the others. Dont let other people make up your mind :BEER

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I was trying out guitars in the Boston GC one afternoon, and there was another guy on the other side of the "mound of amps" who I couldn't see but could hear clearly. He was a great player, but even more noticable was the gorgeous tones he was pulling out of every amp he tried. I finally had to walk around and see what he was using - it was a NiteFly M with two humbuckers.

I swear I saw a video (perhaps on the Scorcese blues series?) where Alvin Youngblood Hart was playing wicked, greasy slide on a Parker; plenty of mojo in *that* one.

/rick

14. tats_dragon

tats_dragon Member

I just purchased a mis-wired '99 Nitefly SA (HSS) made in USA.
    It's definitely a keeper for me. Very inspiring.
    Compared to other humbucker guitars, the lowend is slightly lacking. I'll probably switch out the Dimarzio humbucker for a Bill Lawrence.

I wouldn't let opinions of others sway your decision. If you 'freaked' it was obviously for you.
    My main guitar is a Gibson SG, which I've played for 20+.

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

They are very good guitars, some of them built in 97 (If I remember correctly) had problems with the neck. They would develop a hump around the 17th fret that would make it impossible to set up.

16. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I play nothing but Parkers. The worst thing about them is once you realize how good they are no other guitar compares and you'll be ruined for playing anything else. Yea they sound a bit different so first off expect to have to adjust your amp settings. With a Nitefly changing pickups is a breeze but with a Fly it is more trouble but doable I have done many. There is great forum for Parker guitars if you're interested.

17. omni

omni Member

I'm gonna go back and play it again.. I really liked it.The thing practically played itself.

18. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

19. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

That must explain why I like them - if there's one thing I CAN'T STAND in a guitar, it's mojo (well, and quilted tops).

But seriously, mojo is in the player, not the guitar. You hear the same nonsense said about PRS and virtually every other brand.

20. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The Parker promo when Ken parker ran it was "Nothing Plays Like a Parker". I hate to echo corporate BS but in the case of Parker guitars I have found it to be true. My Nitefly has ruined me - my room full of Strats, Teles, Gibbys, PRS, Hamer, Ric etc etc pretty much sit & look pretty while I play my 2 Niteflys. If there was a Fly model in SSS I would jump right on it but the Niteflys are fine for me.