tell me everything you know: Lace Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JStizz, Jan 3, 2008.

1. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

My first electric was a tele plus with a blue lace sensor in the neck and a split red humbucker in the bridge. Sounded great.

A few years ago i got a strat with tex mex pickups that was too thin, too quiet and too clean. I swapped it with a blue/silver/ red humbucker and split the ted. Now i love it.

People don't thnk it's vintage enough but i love the modern sound. Not compressed but evened out.

2. nixhex113

nixhex113 Member

I have used the red/silver lace sensors and I found them to be a little dull... Not bad sounding but nothing special.

3. aussiemeats

aussiemeats Member

G'Day,

I have the Lace Hot Golds in my Parts-o-caster, I LOVE them...I can get

anything from Clapton to SRV with them...Cheers!

[​IMG]

4. 62deluxe

62deluxe Member

I have original Gold Lace Sensors in my '89 Clapton Sig Strat and I have gone back and forth about how they sound. Currently, with the amps I'm using now (SamAmps, Zinky, Fenders), I'm thinking they sound great!

5. dazco

dazco Member

The regular lace are ok, but they always left me missing something. The holy grails....much better. In fact, i never met a noiseless or low noise SC that has found a permanent home in any of my guitars, but the holy grails came far closer than any others. i still have a set and now this thread has me thinking i wanna try them again. By the way, they actually have magnets like a regular SC unlike the other laces.

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

love the golds in my older EC Strat, they do hum a bit more than say a firebird or a full bucker, but are way quieter than single coils. kinda just lets enough in to keep it real, heh. anyhow, love the tone, and they seem to mesh well with the whole TBX/Mid Boost thing the EC Strat has going on.

7. boost

boost Member

I've got an '88 too. Never saw a need to replace the neck and mid, but I did replace the bridge with an APC. Still in there 20 years later.

8. DT7

DT7 Member

I had the golds in a '88 Strat Plus...tried to like them but couldn't. I ended up with a Duncan JB at the bridge and two 57/62s. I might try something else in the future, but that combo works with my Boogie. The resonant peak of the original Lace pups, IMHO, isn't high enough. As a result, the pups tend (again, IMHO) to sound lifeless and dull...but you could get some good quack with them in the notch positions through a nice BF Fender.