• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tell Me How Guilty I Should Feel

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
So I see an ad on my local newspaper's website - Old Fender Tube Amp $150. I call and talk to the guys girlfriend and she tells me that it is a Fender Vibro Champ. Nobody knew the year. Anyway I went to check it out and see a practically mint condition Blackface (YES!) Vibro Champ in perfect working order. Turns out its a 1965. Needless to say, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough to pay him before he came to his senses.

wal

tell you what, i'll give you 200.00 yes? not guilty man. he was pleased as punch to get the money... and it takes a person with years of background to
1. take it and look it over 2. probably fix it up 3. know that you should sell it to me for 200..... no no, wait.... make it 250.00

enjoy
wal

pir8matt

If you had worked him down to $100 you ought to feel guilty, but if you paid his asking price then you can sleep like a baby with your new score in the next room.

Sean French

I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty.
They set the price and you paid what they asked.
Done deal and a great deal for you.
It's not like they asked $600 and you told them it's only worth $150.
Enjoy the Vibro Champ.:BEER

It's Time!

Look at it this way.

The sellers were happy to get rid of that old outdated Fender Vibro Champ.

Their 17 year old son that listens to punk told them that would be a great price.

Last edited:

edgewound

Yeah, you kind of took advantage of that girl. Not saying you should lose sleep over it, but it is pretty dishonest. Of course, you probably already know that or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Anyway, enjoy the amp.
How in the hell is paying someone's asking price a bad thing? How is it dishonest?

"Oh, here...it's worth way more....is $600 ok?"....yeah right.

The seller has the responsibility to research what they have if expecting top dollar for it.

A deal is a deal.

pir8matt

Yeah, you kind of took advantage of that girl. Not saying you should lose sleep over it, but it is pretty dishonest. Of course, you probably already know that or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Anyway, enjoy the amp.
How is it taking advantage of the girl if it wasn't her amp?

luv2playm

Silver Supporting Member
Very interesting ethical dilemma. I've wondered how I'd handle such a scenario myself, should I ever encounter it.

For those who think the example given was dishonorable, what do you think a potential buyer in such a situation should do? :confused:

svenhoek

If she had asked "is this worth more" and you had lied, that would be dishonest.

What if you didn't know it was worth more? You would have made the same deal and that would be that. The fact you've taken hours of your life to learn about vintage gear means you can be rewarded if you find something at a good asking price.

Maybe they paid $75 for it originally and thus doubled their money.

Oh how I love devil's advocate.

edgewound

That's just me...I don't like getting ripped off and I don't like ripping people off.

Something inside me says, "You shouldn't do that...pay them what's fair or at least tell them what they have". I have a conscious...so sue me.
There is no possible way that paying someone's asking price is being a rip-off.

That's like going to Guitar Center and offering to pay more than list price.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member

Anyway, enjoy the amp.
It wasn't the girl. It was her boyfriend who does in fact play a little guitar and has owned the amp for years.

mvd18969

Couldn't agree with you more...

How in the hell is paying someone's asking price a bad thing? How is it dishonest?

"Oh, here...it's worth way more....is $600 ok?"....yeah right.

The seller has the responsibility to research what they have if expecting top dollar for it.

A deal is a deal.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
Well, either way, it makes no difference to me. If it does to you, great.
For the record, I'm 26 and no vintage gear freak. I don't really know the true value of the amp I just know its worth more than $150 and I got a good deal. If this was a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard then I'd feel a lot worse.

spyeman

Man, how can this dude sleep at night doing what he did? It's like finding a wallet and not turning it in. It's like getting an extra $10 in change from a cashier and not mentioning it. Wow, you know what they say about karma.....

:munch

:mob

;)

Trending Topics