Tell me I really got GE EL84

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Roodboy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I thought I had such a great score of two matched GE EL84's. but when they arrived today they appear to be different tubes. The one without the GE logo has a rectangular object at the top of the tube. Can someone tell me if this is also a GE and/or if I will have a problem using them together. They are matched.

http://tinypic.com/y2b9e

2. saros141

saros141 Guest

The one on the bottom in your pic, with the sandblasted dots under 6 BQ5, is definitely a GE tube. One of them might just be older than the other. If the tubes have decently close electrical characteristics, you should have no problems at all using them together.

3. Roodboy

Thanks Saros, I was totally freaking. They read 23.6 m/a and 22.1m/a so I think the match is OK.
    I heard these were good tubes and kind of Mullard like (doesn't everybody say that?)
    Thanks again for the help.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Even different brands of tubes work fine together as long as they're relatively matched, electrically.

Branding on tubes is often misleading. Observe what's inside the glass. The plates on both specimens appear to be identical.

5. Roodboy

The "H" shaped object near the halo had me all freaked out. I can't wait to have them biased so i can check'em out, they are supposed to be sweet.
    Thanks for the help, Blue Strat.:)