Tell me more about Dimarizo area 61/67/58 pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Britishampfan, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

I`ve read the reviews, saw the you tube footage and researched this site.

Questions: Are they all that glassy? I can`t tell from any of the clips because of the effects, excessive reverb and delay.

Anyone use them with a 100 watt marshall and like them?

On some clips they don`t seem all that quiet? does everyone need amp repair?

The clean sounds ok to me hard to tell cause a lot of things sound great clean recorded on a computer, any good clips of clean and crunch sounds.

I do want noiseless pickups for crunch sounds and higher gain sounds.

Experiences, clips (please) and anything else I should know.

Thank you

2. jhuse

jhuse Member

I have all three of these pickups spread among my various Strats. They are dead-quiet and sound very much like single coils. In fact, I just bought a new Strat, and before it even arrived, I had ordered a set of DiMarzio noiseless pups knowing I needed them.

Sorry I don't have any clips, but I will say that the pickups are dynamic and articulate. They also handle cleans and distrortion quite well. I would not describe them as "glassy," but they all have, with various degrees, a nice bright top-end.

Of the 3 you mention, the '67 is the most trebly, but it also has a nice midrange punch to it. The '58 is my favorite as it is a bit more mid-scooped (in a good way for my needs) than the '67, and still has a nice bright top.

If you play blues, classic rock, country or modern rock, and (importantly) you like the classic Strat sound, you cannot go wrong with these. I do not recommend for metal, but then again, if you're a big metal player, you're probably not playing single coils anyway.

Hope this helps.

3. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

Thank you for your replies, I do like the classic vintage strat sound my stock fender pickups sound great clean through my superlead and the noise is very low but any vintage effects or gain and look out noise city, ok for live but not recording.

Yes I am a metalhead but I like a lot of stuff, currently playing a blues rock jam band thing.

I exclusively use my 8 string Ibanez for metal these days.

4. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

I have them in my #1. Have used a tried a lot of noiseless...I just hate hum....and they have are my favoirte by far. Just gives me what I consider to be a dependable, classic strat tone with very little noise except at very high gain levels which is just the smallest noises getting amplified down the signal chain in my opinon.

5. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

Hey what happened to the zep clips I was going to check the rest out? The one I listened to sounded pretty good, don`t be shy.

6. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

I've got that set in my '81 Strat (last of the '70s-era specs, including a hulking boat-anchor of a body made from a "nice piece of ash"), and I find them to be quiet, yet powerful. Of course, since the Strat I'm using weighs more than most modern Les Pauls, I'm sure the density of the wood has something substantial to do with the punch that axe packs, but the pickups are definitelyu winners for me. Side note: I actually switched out all of the electronics, having bought a loaded pickguard with the Areas as part of the deal, and I really dig the pots that came with the set as well. Hope this helps.
    Steve

7. bdc3

bdc3 Member

which of these is closest to fender texas specials???

8. Tito83

Tito83 Member

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/victor-castro/fender-roadworn-and-marshall[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I use 67(n), 58(m) and 61(b). On this clip I didn't really use the middle, only bridge and neck.

9. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

Awesome thanks for the replies and for bringing the clips they sound great, I`m still checking them out.

10. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

Here ya go:

61 in the bridge, 58 in the neck and middle.